AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Does your Q7 do this? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/does-your-q7-do-2965346/)

Meyecul 01-10-2019 11:48 AM

Does your Q7 do this?

Okay, so in some other threads over the past year I have made mention of this problem but never have I started a thread on it. Not trying to be repetitive from other threads or beat a dead horse, but would very much like to get other owners to chime in with a simple yes or no as to whether they have this same issue on their 2017 or 2018 Q7s. Perhaps then I can then get Audi to remedy it. I thank you in advance!

The issue in a nutshell: Many of the interior plastics in my vehicle make popping, crunching, crackling or creaking sounds when pressed on or on their own in driving. The upper door panels are the worst, with a close second being pretty much all the piano gloss trim throughout the cabin. I believe it has gotten worse over time. All can be reproduced by manually pressing on the trims and it can happen on its own due to driving over road expansion joints, pulling into driveways, or basically anything that causes some flex to the car. Temp and weather can play a part on just how bad it will be on any given day, particularly going from a very hot interior to cooling down with the AC, I can get some pop and crackles without even moving the car an inch. Now, I still very much love this car and as whole it's not a huge deal since its a pop here and crackle there when driving (not the same as having a continuous constant hardcore rattle issue), however, on a vehicle of the price and caliber, it has been really bugging me. I have pressed on $20k rental cars interior plastics and not encountered any sounds like this.

Here is a quick sample video I just made for another thread discussion...

BigKutta 01-10-2019 11:59 AM

Not all of the issues youve mentioned, but I just started noticing some serious creaking when going over expansion joints or road bumps. And it seems as if the entire front passenger side dash is moving and causing the creak

AudiFanFL 01-10-2019 12:17 PM

To be honest, I don't know. I've owned my Q7 for two years and never even tried what you did in that video.

AudiFanFL 01-10-2019 12:21 PM

So, for the fun of it, I checked and it's not as bad as on yours. The cracking I hear is absolutely acceptable and to be expected when pressing any material like that. I, however, did not pull on the piece because I'm not keen on damaging anything, LOL...

Corgiman 01-10-2019 02:59 PM

I think it’s ok as long as the trim doesn’t make noise without being touched while driving. Audis are known for getting creaky with age.

RJC 1 01-10-2019 03:00 PM

Ours has been very solid but we live in the SE so no extreme temps...felt/felt tape takes care of 99% of these kinds of things and is an easy fix.

Meyecul 01-10-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25260048)
Ours has been very solid but we live in the SE so no extreme temps...felt/felt tape takes care of 99% of these kinds of things and is an easy fix.

Yeah, not as easy as you would think. I have spent hours and hours thought the car with felt, foam etc etc. Areas like the door panel in the video would require complete removal of the door panel and then disassembly of the panels components. For example, that top trim on the window shade in the video clips into a metal rail within the top of the door sill but is not fully removable with the usual trim removing tools (only the front edge is). It must be bolted through on the backside part (so entire door needs to be taken apart). I gave up a while ago and just live it all. These colder months are much better, but summer will be blazing soon enough and it will rice crispy time throughout the cabin! haha. Might be time to trade in for a RS5 Sportback. Will prob have the same plastics, but oh the fun it would be!!....soooo tempting. Hmmm..

Dasaint 01-11-2019 05:02 AM

I use to push open the driver door using the plastic piece and it creaked like that so I change the way I open the door now it doesn't bother me...well I don't hear it no more. It does kinda bother me 😅

JT4 01-11-2019 07:41 AM

WOW, no ours is very quiet..

HGSB 01-11-2019 08:37 AM

No such issues despite being driven on lousy NYC & LI roads, but it’s only been 7 months since delivery.