Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Done with Run-Flats

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Elveston
Ride is not as smooth as ML550 with air suspension, but definitely changed the jarring bumps to just bumps on my Q7 non-air suspension. The Conti's in 285/45 r20 have the widest tread at 10 1/2" that I could find. Reviews have been mixed for wear, but at this point willing to try it for the improved ride.
You might be the first person I’ve ever seen call the Q7s ride jarring, especially with only 20s.

Curious why you have such wide tires. My X5 20s are staggered, the rears being a massively wide 11”. More curious how a tire that wide fit on the Q7’s measly 20” rim lol
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the last 20 years, I've lived in a subdivision with a concrete road that's probably closer to 40 years old. The expansion joints are very noticeable. My wife has had two Infinite Q50's (older model), and the ride is what I would call jarring on the two mile drive to our house. The last two ML's I had both had the air suspension and were very smooth on "comfort", but noticeably "jarring" on the bumps in "sport". For the first 26,000 miles of my 2017 Q7 with no air suspension, the ride on the road was better than the Q50 and the sport mode on the MLs, but noticeably rougher that the "comfort" mode. Same with railroad tracks and potholes. The Conti's are a definite improvement, but still not to the level of the "comfort" mode ... and my wife agrees .... repeatedly. I always drive in "Dynamic", though with no air suspension, I don't think it really matters. I also use "Sport" most of the time (a significant improvement).

The Conti 285/45 r20 is the correct tire size for the rim, and it went on without any fitment issues. While the Goodyear runflats were about 9 1/2 inches across the tread, these are 10 1/2 inches. I've always preferred maximum rubber on the road for both traction (grip) and because I simply like the way it looks. The Conti's fit within the wheelwells completely, but do fill them up better than the Goodyears. Unfortunately, they are not readily available. TireRack has them in stock, but I use Discount Tire in the Houston area. The local store had to order them from a store in California in August, and they stored them at the Houston store for a month before I had them installed (15% discount for the purchase in August). Reviews on the Contis indicate that tread wear may not be great, but dry and wet traction are. I hope for at least 20,000 miles on mine, but some reviewers said they replaced at around 15,000.

Finally, I came close to buying an X5 with the massive tires several years ago, but the "really jarring" ride was too much. I'd still be driving the ML550 if someone hadn't crashed into me and totaled it. I now wish I'd gotten the air suspension/4 wheel steering on the Prestige, but I was in a hurry to replace the ML and didn't get a chance to do a lot of research. I just happened to test drive it before buying another Mercedes, and found it to be the best I have found. Still is. Just wish it had air suspension.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the last 20 years, I've lived in a subdivision with a concrete road that's probably closer to 40 years old. The expansion joints are very noticeable. My wife has had two Infinite Q50's (older model), and the ride is what I would call jarring on the two mile drive to our house. The last two ML's I had both had the air suspension and were very smooth on "comfort", but noticeably "jarring" on the bumps in "sport". For the first 26,000 miles of my 2017 Q7 with no air suspension, the ride on the road was better than the Q50 and the sport mode on the MLs, but noticeably rougher that the "comfort" mode. Same with railroad tracks and potholes. The Conti's are a definite improvement, but still not to the level of the "comfort" mode ... and my wife agrees .... repeatedly. I always drive in "Dynamic", though with no air suspension, I don't think it really matters. I also use "Sport" most of the time (a significant improvement).

The Conti 285/45 r20 is the correct tire size for the rim, and it went on without any fitment issues. While the Goodyear runflats were about 9 1/2 inches across the tread, these are 10 1/2 inches. I've always preferred maximum rubber on the road for both traction (grip) and because I simply like the way it looks. The Conti's fit within the wheelwells completely, but do fill them up better than the Goodyears. Unfortunately, they are not readily available. TireRack has them in stock, but I use Discount Tire in the Houston area. The local store had to order them from a store in California in August, and they stored them at the Houston store for a month before I had them installed (15% discount for the purchase in August). Reviews on the Contis indicate that tread wear may not be great, but dry and wet traction are. I hope for at least 20,000 miles on mine, but some reviewers said they replaced at around 15,000.

Finally, I came close to buying an X5 with the massive tires several years ago, but the "really jarring" ride was too much. I'd still be driving the ML550 if someone hadn't crashed into me and totaled it. I now wish I'd gotten the air suspension/4 wheel steering on the Prestige, but I was in a hurry to replace the ML and didn't get a chance to do a lot of research. I just happened to test drive it before buying another Mercedes, and found it to be the best I have found. Still is. Just wish it had air suspension.
What air pressure you are running? Lowering it by 2-3 would normally makes difference without too much problem in terms of wear and MPG. I found manufacture normally mark it on the higher end.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCC
What air pressure you are running? Lowering it by 2-3 would normally makes difference without too much problem in terms of wear and MPG. I found manufacture normally mark it on the higher end.
+1 and service dept's routinely overfill
Old 10-12-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Ah very good explenation. I’m currently in an X5 with a brutally jarring ride and the massively wide 20s. I didn’t know the 20’s on the Q7 were that wide! They look donut-ish from the side, I figured they were in width too.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spare tire finally realized

2017 q7 with Goodyear run flats. TPMS properly indicated low tire. Pulled over and checked pressure, tire was low/flat. Took out pump and sealant can, but pump did not turn on. Waiting for roadside assistance.

Advice to all, check your pump and make sure it works before you need it.

Any general thoughts if run flats can be patched/plugged? I know it depends where the hold is and how big.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sranger941
2017 q7 with Goodyear run flats. TPMS properly indicated low tire. Pulled over and checked pressure, tire was low/flat. Took out pump and sealant can, but pump did not turn on. Waiting for roadside assistance.

Any general thoughts if run flats can be patched/plugged? I know it depends where the hold is and how big.
Sorry to hear about the flat, and good advice to check on the pump. Yes, runflats can be repaired but depends (as you already mentioned) where the damage is: http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...ers-say-ok-but

Like Michelin, Goodyear says its run-flats can be repaired—after a thorough inspection.

``We found that damage to the run-flat doesn't really start until about a third of the way into the tire's run-flat capability,'' he said. ``So any time prior to that, before any visible damage takes place, the tire still has all the integrity of the new tire and can be repaired if it gets punctured.''

The puncture must be in the tire's crown area. Damage to a sidewall or belt edge cannot be repaired.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

The reason why RFTs exist is because you can drive on them up to a defined distance with no pressure.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NABS4
The reason why RFTs exist is because you can drive on them up to a defined distance with no pressure.
^^This ha ha. Waiting for roadside assistance rather defeats the purpose of having run-flats. Goodyear Eagle Sport run flats (like most other run flats) say you can drive 50 miles at 50 mph on low or zero pressure. Fiddling with your car roadside is a good way to get killed, so my plan if I ever get a highway flat (on RFTs) is just limp it to the next tire store.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Mavis will not repair any run flat, Costco will repair certain brands, but Goodyear is not included. Went to a local Goodyear center who repaired the tire with no hassle. They were concerned about scratching the rim, but all was fine. They had two techs work on the tire and went very slowly. Reminder, make sure your pump works, so it will be ready if you need it. I never tried the pump until today and it was completely dead.

Quick Reply: Done with Run-Flats