Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Door locking issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door locking issues

Hey folks, started having some random issues with my 2018 Q7. One day coming back to a parking lot, opened the passenger door with my hand and the convenience feature. Car unlocked, the door opened and the alarm went off. I took out the key from my pocket and hit the unlock button and the alarm stopped. Since then the car will randomly not lock all doors, whether I press my finger on the door handle or use the key fob.

When I use the key and lock the doors, sometimes it will lock and the beep will come on. Other times it will blink the turning signals like it's locking, but will not beep. I can hear some doors lock, but the passenger door will not lock. So I have to wait, unlock the car again, wait like 10-15 seconds and try again, and it will work.

It's very random and seems something to do with the passenger door.

Also when I unlock with the key, it unlocks the driver's door and I usually press unlock button a second time to unlock the other doors, however the unlock button seems not to be doing anything after the driver's door is unlocked and doesn't unlock the other doors. Usually have to wait 10-15 seconds and try again.

This issue just started happening recently. I took it to the dealer and they said they found a fault code and that the door would go into sleep mode or something. So there was a TSB they applied which was a software upgrade and was supposed to fix it.

I drove the car home from the dealer, later went to pick up dinner, parked the car, got out of the car, press the lock button, again I hear doors lock but no beep. I go check and the passenger door is unlocked. I waited 10-15 seconds and tried again and it locked with a beep and all doors were locked.

Anyone had similar issues?

Last edited by sashko; 04-06-2019 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
barbnmatt (07-26-2023)
Old 04-07-2019, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Possibly a battery issue?
Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve had the alarm go off as you describe but not the other issues. The car should tell you if the key battery is low but might be worth changing it. My dealer changers them for free.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like soft close doors issue.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Sounds like soft close doors issue.
You’re right but that means it will never be fixed.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
I’ve had the alarm go off as you describe but not the other issues. The car should tell you if the key battery is low but might be worth changing it. My dealer changers them for free.
i thought of that too, and put a new battery in the key as well, no change. :/
Old 04-07-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
You’re right but that means it will never be fixed.
oh oh. What's the soft locking issue?
Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=sashko;25300125]oh oh. What's the soft locking issue?[/QUOTE
Audi did a software update on my care for a parking brake malfunction after which my soft close doors would intermittently not work. After gutting the driver’s door and keeping the car several weeks they returned it and said “user error.” Complaints to AoA were met with derision and disdain. They clearly have a software issue they don’t want to address. The shop foreman told me they system was becoming confused at times and shutting down.

Last edited by Corgiman; 04-07-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=Corgiman;25300132]
Originally Posted by sashko
oh oh. What's the soft locking issue?[/QUOTE
Audi did a software update on my care for a parking brake malfunction after which my soft close doors would intermittently not work. After gutting the driver’s door and keeping the car several weeks they returned it and said “user error.” Complaints to AoA were met with derision and disdain. They clearly have a software issue they don’t want to address. The shop foreman told me they system was becoming confused at times and shutting down.
Well that sucks! I'm hoping mine is a more serious issue like car doesn't lock and binary. They can't get it to lock either, so hopefully can't blame on the user if they can't even lock the car.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sashko
oh oh. What's the soft locking issue?
If your vehicle is equipped with soft door closing mechanism, hitting the close button (keyfob or door) before the mechanism has a chance to pull the door shut, will not lock doors. The best indicator that doors didn't lock is the lack of the chirp. Also, it seems that sometimes for whatever reason the soft closing mechanism does not pull the door shut all the way. I had an interesting experience once, when I leaned on my door and it popped unlatched - not fun at highway speeds. I guess it's best to just slam the doors shut.

Quick Reply: Door locking issues