Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Driver assist features

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question here for using the ACC.

As I tried these days, it does very good on following the traffic, slows down and speeds up again, but I still have concerns about the traffic merging. When a car driving next lane trying to merge into my lane, by seeing the turning light, human (at least me ) will notice and stop pressing the accelerator pedal to give more space until the merge finishes, so the riding would be smooth. But as I noticed for Q7 ACC, it still keeps following the traffic closely (I guess it could not know other car's lights) until the merge starts, then it would be a noticeable break to slow down, that makes me feel a little bit... aggressive.

What do you guys usually do for that case? Cancel ACC and enable it again after merge (sounds annoying)? Change the ACC distance and change it back (also annoying)? Or just let Q7 play by its own?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xing Yu
I have a question here for using the ACC.

As I tried these days, it does very good on following the traffic, slows down and speeds up again, but I still have concerns about the traffic merging. When a car driving next lane trying to merge into my lane, by seeing the turning light, human (at least me ) will notice and stop pressing the accelerator pedal to give more space until the merge finishes, so the riding would be smooth. But as I noticed for Q7 ACC, it still keeps following the traffic closely (I guess it could not know other car's lights) until the merge starts, then it would be a noticeable break to slow down, that makes me feel a little bit... aggressive.

What do you guys usually do for that case? Cancel ACC and enable it again after merge (sounds annoying)? Change the ACC distance and change it back (also annoying)? Or just let Q7 play by its own?
Push the lever away to disengage it, as soon as he's on the lane, pull it back to re-engage.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a real thing. The car does not see others trying to merge in, and will not make room for them. Best to do what Bozman said. I tried doing nothing, and if a car squeezes in, the Audi will eventually see that car close in front of you and put the brakes on so hard that a car behind you rear-ending you is a real possibility.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
This is a real thing. The car does not see others trying to merge in, and will not make room for them. Best to do what Bozman said. I tried doing nothing, and if a car squeezes in, the Audi will eventually see that car close in front of you and put the brakes on so hard that a car behind you rear-ending you is a real possibility.
I think all self-driving-ish feature in cars do this right now... I test drove a Tesla Model X before taking the plunge on the Q7, and even the sales person said the car is a bit selfish, won't let other cars in either..
Old 08-15-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I keep ACC set for min distance, but I could leave it at the default. But then tons of cars would always cut in.

BTW, the HUD height doesn't seem to be stored in the driver 1/2 memory. I think it should be.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenpoint
I think all self-driving-ish feature in cars do this right now... I test drove a Tesla Model X before taking the plunge on the Q7, and even the sales person said the car is a bit selfish, won't let other cars in either..
Haha, all selfish self-driving cars.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I keep ACC set for min distance, but I could leave it at the default. But then tons of cars would always cut in.

BTW, the HUD height doesn't seem to be stored in the driver 1/2 memory. I think it should be.
I like the min distance as well. FYI, you can code that as the default.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
You can? Though OBD11? How if so?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
You can? Though OBD11? How if so?
It even creates a new menu to set it in the MMI.

I don't have exact the obd11 settings, I'm sure it's been posted a few times.

This may be enough to get you there:

Q7 (4M) Coding

Scroll down to:

Adaptive Cruise Control Distance Regulation Set

Someone may have the exact obd11 coding to post. I didn't document all my changes.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
In the 2018 you can store the last distance used through the MMI.

Quick Reply: Driver assist features