Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Driver Assistance Package - can somebody advise/explain?

Old 11-25-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Assistance Package - can somebody advise/explain?

I live in a rural area in NH and my wife doesn't drive in heavy city traffic or do a lot of highway driving.

Am I wasting money on the Driver Assistance Package?

Are people finding that this is a must have package regardless of where you live: city or rural...

$2400...
Old 11-25-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Its not a must have by any means, its just a cool to have. If she's never going to use traffic jam assist (doesn't sound like it) or cruise control (doesn't sound like it), I think you can skip it, You will miss out of blind spot monitoring (which I dont care for because I actually drive) and a couple of other things I cant remember
Old 11-25-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it, mainly because I'm not a great driver. FYI, 89% of Americans think they are above average drivers!!!!

I believe the blinds d spot monitoring is not part of DAP and standard on PP, but someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hitchens97
I like it, mainly because I'm not a great driver. FYI, 89% of Americans think they are above average drivers!!!!

I believe the blinds d spot monitoring is not part of DAP and standard on PP, but someone correct me if I am wrong.
I think you are right. Blind spot is not part of DAP. I did miss traffic sign monitoring, Auto high beams, and Presense front with DAP. Again, OP you need to decide if these are worth it to you.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it's a must have at only $2,400. It's a value regardless of what type of roads you frequent. As more and more vehicles include these systems it'll help with resale as well.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
For me it's a must have at only $2,400. It's a value regardless of what type of roads you frequent. As more and more vehicles include these systems it'll help with resale as well.
I agree one should get it, but if OP is trying to save some money, then I dont think its a must have if you'll hardly use the features
Old 11-25-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I agree one should get it, but if OP is trying to save some money, then I dont think its a must have if you'll hardly use the features
The features are self explanatory so if he's contemplating it I assume they'll be used. If not, its an easy choice.

Last edited by Bozman5000; 11-25-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Probably makes sense on a family hauler, but some of us do prefer to drive, and have been trained to do so. It’s the other 80% of drivers I have to worry about! You know, the device distracted...

If I had it my way, everyone else would have all the nannies, but me. Yes, I’m bitter~ I cant have a 6spd manual S4 mainly because of drivers assistance equipment. I do think we’ll all be forced to have all the nannies in the near future, so I’m delaying as long as possible. May help with resale/trade, but so can good negotiating skills. If it’s worth it to you, get it.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it. Works in any conditions. Once you have it you will never want a care without it.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I intentionally looked for a premium plus with most of the options (vision, ventilated seats, cold weather, tow), but without driver assistance. To be honest the only thing I wish I had were real fog lights (don't exist outside the headlamp) or the sensor black ***** -- they make the bumper look nicer!

But, I like driving and DO NOT trust autonomous driving....not yet at least. I still look over my shoulder when i change lanes, even with the side view mirrors and blind spot monitoring. I rarely ever text and drive or get distracted though, so you have to know yourself and your abilities. Also consider that you may get a "false sense" of safety and slack on your focus to the point where it may have been better w/o DAP and have your normal level of attention. I know I wouldn't slack on my driving safety or control procedures with or without computer help. A thought - ever have a computer glitch out on you or take a nano second longer than it should? seems like it could be dangerous if it were to malfunction. Also take into consideration if you or your wife will likely drive other vehicles. If you are generally 100% only driving the Q7 with DAP, probably won't matter as long as your future cars also have it (very likely estimation). I switch my Q7 with my wifes 2014 4x4 grand cherokee (my old car) all the time. I would hate to have DA on 1 car and not the other. I like nice cars, but my challenge will be finding cars with less computer driving aids. Of course, once all cars are networked to be autonomous, I'll jump on board. It would be great to have auto accidents a thing of the past! I can drive a true stick shift and proud of my parallel and reverse parking skills. Yes, I judge how poor some people's parking is and feel it can reflect on other aspects of life even (mainly athleticism and coordination skills). I'm still considered a millennial by some metrics at 33 years old. I'm definitely old school.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package - can somebody advise/explain?