Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Driver Assistance Package - can somebody advise/explain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by baltfan
Love it. Works in any conditions. Once you have it you will never want a care without it.
I wouldn't count on it. I turned on lane assist yesterday on a well marked highway (normally dont but was bored), and the lane assist green lines would just quit on me without warning several times, and sometimes in the middle of a curve on a 10 lane highway. So while the vehicle was turning, lane assist would quit, and the vehicle would start going straight. I could imagine it crashing into the vehicle next to me every time. WTF! Very dangerous!

I dont know how the lawyers managed to squeeze in these "not ready for primetime" features into these cars, with what I assume is minimal legal consequence to Audi.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lane assist only stays active for 45 seconds I believe and then it’s expects the driver to take control again. It’s not like Tesla from what I’ve heard is longer.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I wouldn't count on it. I turned on lane assist yesterday on a well marked highway (normally dont but was bored), and the lane assist green lines would just quit on me without warning several times, and sometimes in the middle of a curve on a 10 lane highway. So while the vehicle was turning, lane assist would quit, and the vehicle would start going straight. I could imagine it crashing into the vehicle next to me every time. WTF! Very dangerous!

I dont know how the lawyers managed to squeeze in these "not ready for primetime" features into these cars, with what I assume is minimal legal consequence to Audi.
I think the purpose of lane assist is to keep you within your lane in case of inattention or drowsiness
Old 11-25-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Lane assist is not in anyway an "autonomous" feature. It will fail 99% of the time if the road has a deep curve, and is not meant to be used during curves. In a strait line, it functions as it should.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
Lane assist only stays active for 45 seconds I believe and then it’s expects the driver to take control again. It’s not like Tesla from what I’ve heard is longer.
I am talking about when my hand is on the wheel
Old 11-25-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everybody. Good info. Much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am talking about when my hand is on the wheel
Mine cuts out when I barely touch the wheel so if you’re touching it then I’m not surprised that it cuts off. It’s supposed to do that.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adaptive Cruise is great on backroads too... doesn’t have to be highway. I find I go way too fast without it
Old 11-25-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with you, and I started using lane assist as exactly what it's called, "assist". I like how I don't have to put additional effort to stay in lane, but I actively watch to make sure I stay in lane without having to depend on lane assist.
What I don't like is, how it does not give you a warning when you have adaptive cruise control enabled with lane assist, and it stops tracking lanes even on a well marked road. There must be a reason for this, maybe like Gsrjc said, we do something without knowing, and it stops working? It should NOT stop working when you touch the wheel or when you actively steer. It's assistance so it should stay on.

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
Mine cuts out when I barely touch the wheel so if you’re touching it then I’m not surprised that it cuts off. It’s supposed to do that.
I don't think so. You have to keep your hand on it with some force for it to keep working.

Going back to adaptive cruise control, it's frustrating when it suddenly goes out (the green lights turn gray). I have to give credit to Volvo for making warning lights visible right in front of you, even if you don't have Hud. I think the lane assist warning (that it's not seeing the lane markers) should be at a better position for driver to see without having to look all the way down and in red when you were depending on it, and it suddenly steers off lane into median or another lane. I don't mind having my hand on wheel, but like bigkutta said, when you are on a curve, and you are relaxed going 65mph with the next car more than 5 cars distance in front of you, all of the sudden the lane assist stops seeing the lanes, and you don't realize.. Q7 starts shifting to another lane..

The main reason for this is because lane assist is already very generous with the way it steers, even if you set it early. I can feel that it sometimes rides right on the lane markers. I don't know why it does that. Knowing that, I sort of let it do its thing, and if the cameras are not picking up the lane marker on a well painted road, you would think "don't worry, it's just going over markers as usual" then you look up only to see lane marker icon is gray, not green.. Great. I wish I knew earlier that you stopped working...

Having vented enough above, I am very happy I got the driver assistance package, I love it on stop and go, I love it on long distance. I don't love it as much on regular city traffic 40-50mph, but i still use it time to time. I don't like how people cut you off and Q7 slams on the brakes, or how it speeds up so much when it sees an opening with both lanes to either side is crawling, or when you are going 50mph and the car 100 feet ahead of you is slowing down, brake lamps on, Q7 is still speeding.. Why couldn't they at least allow q7 to coast instead of speeding when it sees brake lights 100ft or 200ft etc down the road, instead of accelerating..

Last edited by hayde_bre; 11-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use lane keep assist every day alongside ACC. You are supposed to be in charge of driving regardless of what system is being used. If you depend on the system and don't hold the wheel a crash would be your fault. Lane keep asist has two modes, early and late. Depending on which one you use will determine how much/little it helps keep you in place. The only time my car won't see the lanes is if they're so faded even I can't see them, or due to sun glare on the camera. Sun glare only happens during sunset/sunrise and it's directly aimed at the camera. Despite the glare I've found lane keep asisst to work 95% of the time perfectly. Know how the systems work before saying they're unsafe.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package - can somebody advise/explain?