Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Driver Assistance Package - can somebody advise/explain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I use lane keep assist every day alongside ACC. You are supposed to be in charge of driving regardless of what system is being used. If you depend on the system and don't hold the wheel a crash would be your fault. Lane keep asist has two modes, early and late. Depending on which one you use will determine how much/little it helps keep you in place. The only time my car won't see the lanes is if they're so faded even I can't see them, or due to sun glare on the camera. Sun glare only happens during sunset/sunrise and it's directly aimed at the camera. Despite the glare I've found lane keep asisst to work 95% of the time perfectly. Know how the systems work before saying they're unsafe.
I understand, and am not saying I dont hold the wheel. My point was that there is no warning when LA quits, even while holding the wheel. The point of LA is that you can hold the wheel gently while it keeps you in the lane. If I'm holding it firmly, then whats the point of LA anyway? If it decides to quit mid-turn, at least chime at me or something
Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McRockFish
I live in a rural area in NH and my wife doesn't drive in heavy city traffic or do a lot of highway driving.

Am I wasting money on the Driver Assistance Package?

Are people finding that this is a must have package regardless of where you live: city or rural...

$2400...
Most of the features in the DAP are useful for city and highway driving. Based on your driving requirements, you may skip the DAP.
However, it is a nice feature to have when you plan to sell in the future.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I understand, and am not saying I dont hold the wheel. My point was that there is no warning when LA quits, even while holding the wheel. The point of LA is that you can hold the wheel gently while it keeps you in the lane. If I'm holding it firmly, then whats the point of LA anyway? If it decides to quit mid-turn, at least chime at me or something
I've never had mine kick out mid turn, although when the LKA turns off it's quite obvious. If you have the HUD the lines change to grey, conversely, it's also displayed on the VC (bottom right for me). I normally only look at the HUD depending on how long of a drive I'm on so any changes are very easy to see in a pinch.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

To the OP: I'd recommend trying an extended test drive to test out the ACC, if you ever go on long trips I think you'll find it invaluable.

As has been stated the lane assist is just that (and only that) lane assist, don't expect the vehicle to steer around sharp corners, it cuts out on any sharp corner. (and when you slow down).

Originally Posted by AJ123
But, I like driving and DO NOT trust autonomous driving....not yet at least. I still look over my shoulder when i change lanes, even with the side view mirrors and blind spot monitoring.
I want to respond to this. I'll start by saying people who want to sleep or watch movies while their cars drive are idiots, but also (everyone) needs to realize people are terrible drivers, even the best of us. Its not possible to pay attention to everything 100% of the time, a 'bug' in a machine is still going to be far more alert than a person. A computer will be able to processes tens of thousands of data points and output a deterministic reaction with far more reliability than a person (Mind you I'm not talking about people texting while driving drunk, I'm talking about alert drivers). That said, bugs happen, software cannot account for everything the vehicle will encounter, sensors fail (or get covered by dirt/ice). People need to thinking of these systems as co-pilot systems, they can help catch things or give early warning when otherwise not available. I say its idiotic to fully rely on them because even paying moderate attention can have some accidents being prevented. Statistically, autonomous driving is actually reducing accidents, but people staying aware while using autonomous systems should reduce them further.

When changing lanes in heavy traffic, looking over your shoulder is dangerous, as if the lane in front of you suddenly stops you're unlikely to have adequate reaction time, but if you have ACC on, its about 1000x safer. (ACC still can have issues, but again nothing prevents the driver from paying attention)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

DAP is level two automation. It does what is expected of level two. If you want more, you will have to wait. Thus far, only Audi's upcoming A8 will be level three. Even that doesn't provide the driver with permission to "leave the driving to the computer."

So many folks want level four -- but a new Audi TODAY can be had with level two. Audis is amongst the best.

ACC alone is worth the price of admission. Traffic jam assist, too, is worthwhile, although it seems as if the OP would not find TJA of much value. The auto headlight feature is amazing.

If you're buying, I'd think DAP would have merit come trade-in time.