Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dynamic indicators

Old 08-30-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Dynamic indicators

The north american 2017 A4 have the dynamic indicators,. I bet the Q7 refresh will have them . I think I will the get euro tails, but still sucks they didnt include this out the box

Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The biggest advantage of the EU tails is that the indicators are Amber, it's about time Audi woke up to this simple safety feature.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
The north american 2017 A4 have the dynamic indicators,. I bet the Q7 refresh will have them . I think I will the get euro tails, but still sucks they didnt include this out the box

2017 A4 IN North America with dynamic indicators - YouTube
The Euro dynamic taillight won't work on a (my) US Q7, even with the adapter kit, I asked my German Audi dealer. Hoped to make this mod too, but giving up for now. He said there may be something that would work at the end of be year and I'll revisit then.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
The biggest advantage of the EU tails is that the indicators are Amber, it's about time Audi woke up to this simple safety feature.
The dynamic indicators rock, just drove from DK to Italy and back. I'm amazed how clearly they're showing -- in heavy rain I followed an A6. Huge difference between dynamic and static. The 'area' requirement in NA regulations makes no sense. I think the area lit in the A6 (and A7 and A8) is very close to that in the Q7. The one on the A4 seems 'fatter'. It's time for the US to wake up and update their head/tail light regulations to keep up with -- and permit -- the latest innovations. Drop this area nonsense. Any set of dynamic indicators I've seen on the various Audis live is way more visible than the static ones.

FWIW, prefer Amber too. Not idea why we get red in the US. I won't necessarily blame Audi. For them it'd be easier to sell the same cool stuff as they do in Europe. Just my two cents.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly I don't think VW or Audi really care to expend the time/money to lobby the DOT to update their outdated requirements.

My hope is that Tesla pushes the DOT to update a lot of these requirements and everyone else gets to benefit from it. I know they have already been pushing to remove side mirrors and replace with cameras for aerodynamic reasons.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Rushmore
Sadly I don't think VW or Audi really care to expend the time/money to lobby the DOT to update their outdated requirements.

My hope is that Tesla pushes the DOT to update a lot of these requirements and everyone else gets to benefit from it. I know they have already been pushing to remove side mirrors and replace with cameras for aerodynamic reasons.
But Audi has managed to put dynamic signals on the A4, TT, and Q3 so far plus the 2017 A3 will have them as an option.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
But Audi has managed to put dynamic signals on the A4, TT, and Q3 so far plus the 2017 A3 will have them as an option.
Sounds like the situation is improving then.

Maybe they will let us have amber turns then too.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Count Rushmore
Sounds like the situation is improving then.

Maybe they will let us have amber turns then too.
Good point about Tesla lobbying the DOT. Let's hope so. Updating the regulations seems somewhat overdue.

From what I can tell, the dynamic indicators on the US A4 (not sure about the TT and the Q3) are different from the ones I see here in Europe where only the top horizontal line light up, compliance with the area requirement in the US probably being the reason for the difference. I'm currently in a 2017 A4 here in Europe myself and the tail lights are way bigger/wider than on my 2017 Q7. I look forward to see what a US version of dynamic indicators on the Q7 would look like, given that the dynamic indicators on the Q7 Euro model are rather slim in comparison with those on the A4 and presumably even further from being in compliance in the US than the ones on the Euro A4.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Kinda got to say that I would rather see them lobby for the dynamic headlight. There is no real benefit to dynamic tail lamps or if they are amber or red.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would love to see Matrix headlights allowed in the US market.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dynamic indicators