Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dynamic mode vs Sport mode(shifter pulled back)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dynamic mode vs Sport mode(shifter pulled back)

Hi,

I noticed a huge differnce between auto mode and dynamic mode, dynamic mode seems to put more fuel into cylinders, compared to sport mode which just delays shifts more,

because i have the 2.0t , the car sounds like a tractor in both auto and sport mode, but engine is so much smoother in dynamic mode,

Old 09-21-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't quote me but pulling the shifter back old alters shift times. Pressing the mode button arrow to dynamic tightens the chassis, makes steering more responsive, and changes the shift times to Sport mode.

So I usually just keep the shifter in Sport but don't mess with the modes and leave it in Comfort all the time. I'm not a big fan of the stiffer suspension since I shift in to sport when hitting the open highways.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling the shifter to S mode changes only engine/transmission part to sport mode, whereas putting Audi Select to dynamic puts everything into dynamic mode, including engine/transmission, suspension (if equipped with adaptive chassis), and steering, as well lowering the car to the dynamic height (if equipped with adaptive chassis).

Putting engine/transmission into sport mode does NOT put more fuel into the engine cylinders - it simply makes the throttle more sensitive and delays upshifting so you feel like the engine is more responsive.

Last edited by sandwi54; 09-21-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not a huge fan of the S mode because of rough shift changes and overall unpredictable behavior on slow traffic, sometimes it actually rolls faster than it should for no reason, so the times you guys use it, It would help to shift back to D when you get into slower moving traffic.
I am just amazed at how well it drives even in Comfort mode, I just wished steering would also remain consistent, I don't know what it is that affects steering comfort, but it takes a long time for steering to warm up so we can steer effortlessly while parallel parking. I rarely have the light-as-a-feather steering when I am parking. Usually it's a struggle, but comfort mode helps a bit.

Things might be different in 2.0's comfort mode, but you can consider Individual. I can't get steering as comfortable as it is in Comfort mode using Individual, same thing with drive dynamics, it doesn't really act dyanmic when it's in Individual (Mine is Steering: Comfort, ACC: Auto, Transmission: Dynamic)
Old 09-26-2018, 03:31 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I drive in Individual with the trans in S most of the time..

On the highway I drive in Dynamic and put the trans in D when cruising, and if I am in bumper to bumper traffic regardless of mode I will usually put the trans in D. But as soon as traffic opens up I shift back into S because IME, when the trans is in D it feels like it can't get out off it's own way..

I'm glad we have the option of driving it in these different modes and trans settings, becuase as much as I love the Q, if I had to drive it in D all the time I probably wouldn't have bought it..

Last edited by JT4; 09-26-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The brain can play tricks sometimes, but as far as the engine is concerned, there is no difference between Dynamic and S. When you select Dynamic, it puts the transmission in S, hence activating the more sensitive/dynamic throttle map and the sportier shift program. You can also activate them by just pulling on the shifter to put it in S regardless of your current Drive Select. The engine and transmission will act one and the same whether you are in Comfort and S or Dynamic and S. But if you are in Dynamic, depending on your equipment level that also changes the chassis settings. It makes the steering heavier, the suspension gets stiffer and the ride gets lower, the dynamic all-wheel steering changes, so the car overall feels sportier.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The brain can play tricks sometimes, but as far as the engine is concerned, there is no difference between Dynamic and S. When you select Dynamic, it puts the transmission in S, hence activating the more sensitive/dynamic throttle map and the sportier shift program. You can also activate them by just pulling on the shifter to put it in S regardless of your current Drive Select. The engine and transmission will act one and the same whether you are in Comfort and S or Dynamic and S. But if you are in Dynamic, depending on your equipment level that also changes the chassis settings. It makes the steering heavier, the suspension gets stiffer and the ride gets lower, the dynamic all-wheel steering changes, so the car overall feels sportier.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner