Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Engine Auto Shut Off issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Auto Shut Off issue

Folks, I did searched the forum, as well as Q7 manual in PDF format for words "shut" and "turn", but it didn't help. I've noticed in some situations when I leave Q7 running briefly (let's say to pick the mail up, keys with me, not in the car, but there were some passengers inside the car ) or even in some situation just parked with engine running and the key fob is inside, the car shuts off itself. this happened more than few times, but I didn't figure out the pattern. Once I was able to see the massage on the VC display something like "Auto shut off". Can anyone please clear it for me when should I "expect" the car to turn off automatically.
2017 Q7 Prestige trim

Thank you in advance,
Vlad
Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are many parameters that make the vehicle shut off or keep running, I believe all listed in the owners manual but you can stop that from happening by pressing the button on the dash to turn the auto stop off.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the key leaves the car, it'll shut off after a few seconds. If the key is in the car, in park, the start/stop functions with behave the same as if you were at a stoplight.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
If the key leaves the car, it'll shut off after a few seconds. If the key is in the car, in park, the start/stop functions with behave the same as if you were at a stoplight.
Mine has never shut off when I leave it with the Fob in my pocket, left it with somebody in the passenger seat for 20 minutes last week. I'm going to have to try it with nobody in it while parked in my driveway.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, guys. Just to be cleared, I'm not talking about red light engine auto shut off. I'm taking about full system shut down with MMI display retracting back. Something I need to figure out to prevent any issues, when I need to leave someone in running car in hot weather. I did leave the car running many times without any issues (keys inside the car or I took the key with me - in both situations I was coming back after 5-10 minutes and car was running fine. But I had few instances when I came back to the car that shut off by itself. Just trying to figure possible condition it may happen. Like engine running, no keys inside and driver or passenger door lock was used. I cannot re-create situations yet, as I wasn't paying attention to it before. one thing I remember I was in the driver seat, parked, possibly in-buckled and I believe I pulled the e-break switch, few moments later the car auto shut off and that's when I saw a message on VC that shut off was done automatically by system. again, i'm not sure if anything else I did at that moment, if I was parked close to something to activate parking assistance sensors, etc.
Just trying to figure it out, before I get involved into some unpleasant situation.
Thanks, guys again for your inputs. I will try to experiment, maybe i'll be able to recreate the auto shut off
Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

On EU car with regular key, the engine does not shut off, if you leave the car with the key. The dash puts up a warning that the key is not in the car, but the engine is not shut off.

You can change by programing the car (ODB11, etc.), that you can lock the car with running engine with the key and you can walk away and still running.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by supplier
Folks, I did searched the forum, as well as Q7 manual in PDF format for words "shut" and "turn", but it didn't help. I've noticed in some situations when I leave Q7 running briefly (let's say to pick the mail up, keys with me, not in the car, but there were some passengers inside the car ) or even in some situation just parked with engine running and the key fob is inside, the car shuts off itself. this happened more than few times, but I didn't figure out the pattern. Once I was able to see the massage on the VC display something like "Auto shut off". Can anyone please clear it for me when should I "expect" the car to turn off automatically.
2017 Q7 Prestige trim

Thank you in advance,
Vlad
I have experienced it as well. But as key fob is always with me, and I know for sure, that it doesn't shut off when parking brake is applied, then I think it may happen if you leave the car, engine is running, but parking brake is not applied. Not sure, just a guess.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
There are many parameters that make the vehicle shut off or keep running, I believe all listed in the owners manual but you can stop that from happening by pressing the button on the dash to turn the auto stop off.
Excellent response; I agree! I stopped trying to determine the pattern but I have yet to have the Q7 turn off in dynamic or "S" mode (i think).
Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

From p. 87:
Ignition is switched off automatically
To prevent the bat tery from draining, the ignition
will switch off automatically under the following
conditions:
- The Start/Stop system has stopped t he engine.
- The vehicle must be stationary.
- You left the vehicle and the engine was notrestarted
with in approximately 30 seconds.
If this happens, you will see the message lgniˇ
tion turns off automatically in the instrument
cluster and the activated low beams are replaced
by the parking light. The parking lights will
switch off after approximately 30 mi nutes or
when you lock the vehicle.
The ign ition also switches off when you lock t he
vehicle from the outside during a stop phase.
If the Start/Stop system has not t urned off the
engine or if you have switched the Start/Stop system
off manually, the ig nition will not be autoˇ
matically switched off and the eng ine will continue
to run.

So I must pulled the e-break when engine was off...

Last edited by supplier; 06-14-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, this happened to me the other day, in the car at night listening to music with kids - stepped out and closed my door. When I stepped back to my door the entire care shut down (I.e engine stopped, lights off, screen retracted). It felt to organized to be s big figured there was some rational behind it- but with kids in car seats it definitely made me think twice about what I don't know

Quick Reply: Engine Auto Shut Off issue