Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Erratic oil indication in app

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Erratic oil indication in app

I usually check my oil level via the app a few times a week. This morning the app indicted it needed oil as it hardly showed any amount in the app. But just yesterday it showed full.

After driving to work this am I checked again and it was indicating full again. I think it did this previously when it required a half quart at about 2500 miles. I am near 5000 miles now.

Have not installed the purchased dip stick yet, looks like it is time.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea this is what its showing in the Audi App even though i just change the oil last saturday at 3200 miles.. and i put in 7.5qt just in case if the engine burns through some of the oil..
Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
I usually check my oil level via the app a few times a week. This morning the app indicted it needed oil as it hardly showed any amount in the app. But just yesterday it showed full.

After driving to work this am I checked again and it was indicating full again. I think it did this previously when it required a half quart at about 2500 miles. I am near 5000 miles now.

Have not installed the purchased dip stick yet, looks like it is time.
Check oil level in MMI screen.
This is app issue I have had before.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't comment on the app since I don't use it much.. However, I have noticed inconsistencies when checking the oil with the MMI, for example..

Two weeks ago I checked the oil and it showed 3/4 full, and then last weekend I checked it and it was full.. Both times I checked it the same way, after driving I let it sit for 10 mins so that the oil can flow back into the pan.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JT4
I can't comment on the app since I don't use it much.. However, I have noticed inconsistencies when checking the oil with the MMI, for example..

Two weeks ago I checked the oil and it showed 3/4 full, and then last weekend I checked it and it was full.. Both times I checked it the same way, after driving I let it sit for 10 mins so that the oil can flow back into the pan.
Seldom used the MMI to check oil just the app. It has shown full ever since. Now using MMI and it is showing the same.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

While we are on the subject... I bought an oil dipstick specifically for my S5 when I had it. Does anyone know if the S5 dipstick will fit our Q7’s? Same engine as in the S5. I would much rather check my engine oil the “old fashioned” way.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
While we are on the subject... I bought an oil dipstick specifically for my S5 when I had it. Does anyone know if the S5 dipstick will fit our Q7’s? Same engine as in the S5. I would much rather check my engine oil the “old fashioned” way.
its my understanding that there is no dipstick option available for the 2017-18 Q7 3.0 engine.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by timshuwy

its my understanding that there is no dipstick option available for the 2017-18 Q7 3.0 engine.
Not so sure that is correct as I ordered and received mine about two weeks ago. I have just not installed it yet as the black plug is buried under the top engine shroud and I did not have time to deal with it. I will look closer today and remove the shroud. The black plug is removed and the dipstick drops into its place.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl

Not so sure that is correct as I ordered and received mine about two weeks ago. I have just not installed it yet as the black plug is buried under the top engine shroud and I did not have time to deal with it. I will look closer today and remove the shroud. The black plug is removed and the dipstick drops into its place.

Thanks Greg please keep us posted to see if it fits.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg -
Would appreciate it if you can send the link where you purchased the Q7 dipstick .
My '2018 Q7 has arrived and expect to pick it up in 2 wks
Thanks much

Quick Reply: Erratic oil indication in app