Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Erratic oil indication in app

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl

Not so sure that is correct as I ordered and received mine about two weeks ago. I have just not installed it yet as the black plug is buried under the top engine shroud and I did not have time to deal with it. I will look closer today and remove the shroud. The black plug is removed and the dipstick drops into its place.
So, is there a cutout in the Engine shroud/cover which would accommodate the dipstick? Otherwise, how would you put the cover back on?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that's exactly what I was wondering...same motor so it should be ok except for the shroud. Had my engine shroud off a while back looked like it would fit but I didn't want to waste $20 bucks for it if there was a clearance issue.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl

Not so sure that is correct as I ordered and received mine about two weeks ago. I have just not installed it yet as the black plug is buried under the top engine shroud and I did not have time to deal with it. I will look closer today and remove the shroud. The black plug is removed and the dipstick drops into its place.
Had no idea that Q7 would not have a dipstick option. Not sure if I am comfortable trusting the app, which can (potentially) be glitchy. If possible, take some pictures when you remove the shroud for the rest of us who would want to DIY it.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

Thanks Greg please keep us posted to see if it fits.
Fits perfectly. Only inconvenience is having to remove the top engine shroud. Mine indicates that is ever so slightly above the max level.

https://www.europaparts.com/oil-dips...6e115611h.html. You can buy here or from what I understand you can also find on Amazon. Mine had a orange handle while the one in the url has a yellow one. There are no clearance problems, you simply remove the black plug and insert the dipstick and you are done.

Last edited by Greg in JaxFl; 03-25-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So, is there a cutout in the Engine shroud/cover which would accommodate the dipstick? Otherwise, how would you put the cover back on?
The shroud needs to be removed but the end of the dipstick is well below the shroud. The existing factory plug and dipstick are equal in height so there is no problem with any clearance. The dipstick handle is 6 inches below the shroud. The shroud needs to be removed to use the dipstick but it only takes a few seconds to release the two clips.

I will try and get some images. And post a bit later.

Last edited by Greg in JaxFl; 03-25-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

1st image is of the plug that is replaced by the dipstick.
2nd image is to show how the engine shroud is in the way but removed very easy.
3rd image is the dipstick installed in the engine. It is well below the shroud so no clearance problems.

Too bad the shroud has to be removed but it only takes a few seconds to pop the two catches.

Last edited by Greg in JaxFl; 03-25-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good deal Greg many thanks...ordering mine right now.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks much Greg!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on topic.

Coming from Porsche ownership (VAG, etc.) the electronic oil readings are HIGHLY sensitive to pavement angle. Even a small angle or tilt would throw off readings.

Best way is to always read in the same spot, same direction, and when engine is cold or hot (depends on car, my 997 must read cold, and better if read the day after so more oil returns and you’re not reading condensation)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fuggit
Back on topic.

Coming from Porsche ownership (VAG, etc.) the electronic oil readings are HIGHLY sensitive to pavement angle. Even a small angle or tilt would throw off readings.

Best way is to always read in the same spot, same direction, and when engine is cold or hot (depends on car, my 997 must read cold, and better if read the day after so more oil returns and you’re not reading condensation)
Agreed, but even with my Q7 parked on a level slab in my garage, the MMI has indicated it was low on oil when the dipstick says it is full+. I think it was a glitch as I have not seen it again and shows full. I would not add oil to the Q with just one reading from the MMI. I would wait for another reading or better yet use the dipstick.

Quick Reply: Erratic oil indication in app