Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Excessive Body Lean on hard turns

Old 04-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Body Lean on hard turns

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone else has seen this review of the 2017 Q7 but he mentions excessive body lean during hard turning (even in dynamic mode). Has anyone else experienced this? I don't own a q7 - yet, so I am curious what others who actually own one have experienced on this.

Thought?

Thanks,

J
Old 04-17-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I've driven a couple with air suspension set to dynamic mode. IMO, it's only excessive lean and body roll only if you compare it to a sports car or performance sedan, but otherwise handling is crisp and confidence-inspiring for a car its size. Compared to most other luxury crossovers and SUVs out there, the body roll is better (less) than average and the only vehicles in its class that have less body roll would be the Porsche Cayenne and the BMW X5. These are tall vehicles with suspensions tuned more for luxury tan sport, so you can't exactly defy physics. Honestly, on a car like this, I wouldn't want to compromise the plush ride any more just to get less body roll. Not an issue at all.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

It was absolute torture listening to that reviewer blathering on [and on and on...] about the neighborhood that he was driving in, rather than giving any real information. The comments about excessive body lean are puzzling because no other reviewer to date has made that observation. I compare it to a 2009 Cayenne GTS that I owned. Contemporaneous reviews of the GTS stated that it was not only the most entertaining of the Cayennes to drive but that it was one of the best handling SUVs that you could buy. It tested at 0-60 in 5.5 and a skid pad of .87g. [The new GTS does 0-60 in 4.9 and a skid pad of an astounding .95g.] The 2017 Q7, on the other hand, does 0-60 in 5.5 and .85g in the skid pad. Numbers certainly don't tell the whole story but most reviews held that the Cayenne appeared to defy physics in the handling department, given its heft. The Q7 is not far off that in how it feels in spirited driving...I do not have the air suspension but am certain that the Q7 would keep up with the last model GTS with little trouble; all without scaring the driver...

Last edited by termite; 04-18-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell this idiot to take an LR4 out for comparison. Q7 handles like it is on rails compared to our LR4. Then again the LR4 sits way higher and weighs more. I will say that the LR4 stability control is excellent, I've had it kick-in on dry pavement when taking a ramp too fast.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

My wife and I test drove a RX450h a few months ago. It was hands down the worst "luxury" vehicle I have ever driven. Making a simple right hand turn at normal speed gave the feeling that we would tip over. When my wife comments on the numb steering and bloated feel of the car, then it's pretty awful. Our new Q7 drive like a larger Q5 and we have no issues with it's driveability.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't stand this reviewer. I hate most of the reviews that he does, mostly because he's just plain annoying, but also because he often conveys misinformation by presenting things as "fact" rather than purely subjective personal perception, not to mention I want punch him every time he says "but I digress..." in his reviews, which is like 4-5 times each review lol.

Anyhow, I read and watch lots of car reviews on the web like many of you, and historically, I find motoman's reviews to often be more misleading than not, and to just suck 100% of the time.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess this guy thinks that anyone who drives the new Q7 is a wuss who never enjoys a little spirited driving now & then.
His credibility also suffers significantly when he claims that placing the key fob in the spot between the cup holders charges it - not so - just a convenient spot to help you not lose your key
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
I guess this guy thinks that anyone who drives the new Q7 is a wuss who never enjoys a little spirited driving now & then.
His credibility also suffers significantly when he claims that placing the key fob in the spot between the cup holders charges it - not so - just a convenient spot to help you not lose your key
There is a spot by the armrest that you put your key when the battery is dead in the keyfob. It is in the manual. I assume this is what he was trying to refer to.

Otherwise, I agree with you that he is a bit of an idiot. I also wonder how much of the body lean he was experiencing was due to inexperience with the 4 wheel steering. Perhaps he was turning a bit harder than he thought he was.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by baltfan
There is a spot by the armrest that you put your key when the battery is dead in the keyfob. It is in the manual. I assume this is what he was trying to refer to.

Otherwise, I agree with you that he is a bit of an idiot. I also wonder how much of the body lean he was experiencing was due to inexperience with the 4 wheel steering. Perhaps he was turning a bit harder than he thought he was.
That spot is for starting the car when the key fob battery is dead. You can keep the Key in that area and Start the car. I don't think it is a charger for the keyfob battery! Yes, he is an idiot! Please close this thread :-)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm glad you all felt the same about the reviewer as I did while watching the review. I was hoping for fact based input on the car but was a bit to into himself and the hood he was stalking.

About his concer related to body roll - I watch the video a couple times and specifically focused on whether I could see him lean with the "extreme" roll and there was no visible lean in his shoulders etc as we all normally do in these situations. Wonder if I could get his job as it doesn't seems as thought you need to know more than having the ability to recognize cars by slight...,,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive Body Lean on hard turns