Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Extended Warranty Decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Decision

Hi All,

I do realize that this subject has been discussed in depth on this forum but looking for some recent data points on the extended warranty for Q7. I am getting close to the 10K mile mark on my Q7, Premium Plus and trying to make a decision on whether or not I should purchase the extended warranty at all, wait and buy prior to the 50K mile mark, or bite the bullet now.

I have the following questions:

1) Has anyone recently purchased the extended warranty in the past month or so? If yes, can you please share pricing and info on which dealer you purchased the extended warranty from? I am open to either Audi or Fidelity warranty as it looks like there's not too much of a difference between the two options.
2) What is the price delta between buying the warranty now or waiting right before the factory warranty expires at 50k miles? Trying to decide if I should postpone my purchase if the delta is not too high.
3) If I don't get the extended warranty at all, should I expect to spend more than $4K on issues after factory warranty? I plan to use the car for 10yrs/100k miles.

I am looking for recent price points as the existing threads have too many historical price points. I would like to call the right dealer or rep at Fidelity with a recent data point if I decide to purchase the extended warranty now.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, one thing is certain with an extended warranty. Some will win, and most will lose.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

interesting comment. why do you think most will lose? do you think over the span of 6 years (post factory warranty and 10 years), the car won't have issues worth $3-$4K? i know this is not predictable but probability of things going wrong after the factory warranty is always there and hence the extended warranty decision is tricky.

are you not planning to get the extended warranty at all?
Old 09-08-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VJ0609
interesting comment. why do you think most will lose? do you think over the span of 6 years (post factory warranty and 10 years), the car won't have issues worth $3-$4K? i know this is not predictable but probability of things going wrong after the factory warranty is always there and hence the extended warranty decision is tricky.

are you not planning to get the extended warranty at all?
They wouldn't sell these warranties at these prices if they didn't come out on top as a whole.

However, it does seem like I spend more than $4000, but I've never studied these warranties to see what's covered, what's not etc. But from a purely financial perspective, the seller has to make money otherwise why sell these?
Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

agree. but its like insurance and they cover lot of people and hence come out profitable cause not everyone will use $3-4K worth over the coverage period.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VJ0609
agree. but its like insurance and they cover lot of people and hence come out profitable cause not everyone will use $3-4K worth over the coverage period.
Exactly. Some will make out, but most wont. Remember, not only do they need to cover the repair cost, their cost (G&A), but also need to make a profit. So my guess is that most will not use $4000 worth.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

makes sense.

Does anyone have latest pricing and good deals available from any Audi dealers? Spoke to my dealer and the pricing he quoted was outrageous and had the audacity to tell me they don't negotiate
Old 09-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick update. The same dealer mentioned that the price delta if I were to buy the warranty when my car is at 50K miles is approx.$500-$700. If that's the case, it may make sense to postpone the decision and pick it up after 3 years.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to FD-warranty.com and contact Troy. He will hook you up with the same Audi warranty you would get from your local dealer but at volume pricing. The business is a subsidiary of a major dealer group in PA.

Grey
Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks. do you have recent pricing? are prices negotiable or fixed?

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Decision