Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Fold-away front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fold-away front license plate

To avoid drilling holes in to the front bumper, because our state requires a front plate, has anyone had any experience with those motorized front plate holders that fold away at the push of a button and fold back out?

Not just for the Q7 but if you've used them on other cars as well/instead. A lot of them seem to fold parallel to the road and even though they're tucked away under the bumper, I do worry about highway speeds causing air to get trapped and then rip the plate downwards and away when folded away.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
To avoid drilling holes in to the front bumper, because our state requires a front plate, has anyone had any experience with those motorized front plate holders that fold away at the push of a button and fold back out?

Not just for the Q7 but if you've used them on other cars as well/instead. A lot of them seem to fold parallel to the road and even though they're tucked away under the bumper, I do worry about highway speeds causing air to get trapped and then rip the plate downwards and away when folded away.
What I've heard from other makes websites is they tend to be easily damaged. I've never had a front plate and even when being pulled over never had an issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

You should not need to drill holes for a front plate. Holes are there. If your Q7 came with the Plate Delete option (check window sticker if you still have it) you have to remove two filler strips in the lower part if the grill to expose them. You may want to order the plate holder to mount the actual plate to but you could always just screw the plate directly into the holes but it might not look great.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
You should not need to drill holes for a front plate. Holes are there. If your Q7 came with the Plate Delete option (check window sticker if you still have it) you have to remove two filler strips in the lower part if the grill to expose them. You may want to order the plate holder to mount the actual plate to but you could always just screw the plate directly into the holes but it might not look great.

Yes, our Q7 came with the holder so the "Delete" option was not on the order. So removing the front plate, which is already on our car, would leave the spot for the frame that came from the factory exposed and it wouldn't just be a "flush" bumper because the holder came from factory?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
What I've heard from other makes websites is they tend to be easily damaged. I've never had a front plate and even when being pulled over never had an issue.
I left the front plate off one car for several years and never got a ticket EXCEPT when I parked at LAX airport parking lot ($30 per day) which is patrolled by LA City police. CA requires front plates. I didn’t fight it. Just paid the ticket and never parked that car at LAX again.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
Yes, our Q7 came with the holder so the "Delete" option was not on the order. So removing the front plate, which is already on our car, would leave the spot for the frame that came from the factory exposed and it wouldn't just be a "flush" bumper because the holder came from factory?
Remove filler strips, mount factory bracket and that's it. However the filler strips are "one time use" . They are nearly impossible to remove without breaking the tabs holding them in. Whenever you remove the factory bracket, filler strips will cover the holes again.