Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front License Plate bracket ?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate bracket ?

Folks, I feel that possibly some fasteners are missing here. The long story shot, my Q7 came w/o front license plate bracket (Florida), I'll be moving soon to NY and asked as part of delivery deal for front bracket to be installed. Dealer called me that got the bracket and did the installation, please see picture. I don't see where/how the license plate should be attached? there is no screws/fasteners provided. what are those two top holes are for? are they for attaching the license plate? then how?

Please advise
Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by supplier
Folks, I feel that possibly some fasteners are missing here. The long story shot, my Q7 came w/o front license plate bracket (Florida), I'll be moving soon to NY and asked as part of delivery deal for front bracket to be installed. Dealer called me that got the bracket and did the installation, please see picture. I don't see where/how the license plate should be attached? there is no screws/fasteners provided. what are those two top holes are for? are they for attaching the license plate? then how?

Please advise

Sorry forgot to attach the image
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate bracket ?-q7-front-license-plate-bracket.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The big gaping holes are not to be used to mount the plates. You see the 4 tiny indents in the plastic? These are aligned perfectly with the holes in the licence plates, and is where you should insert the screws. Using a power screw driver, put the tip of the screw right in that indent, push firmly against the plastic plate as you screw it in.

I did this last night, so I know :-)

And SYM told me this, otherwise I'd have been lost too

Oh, and I bought a fancy Weathertech licence plate bumper frame for the front. Probably overkill, but oh well...
Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
The big gaping holes are not to be used to mount the plates. You see the 4 tiny indents in the plastic? These are aligned perfectly with the holes in the licence plates, and is where you should insert the screws. Using a power screw driver, put the tip of the screw right in that indent, push firmly against the plastic plate as you screw it in.

I did this last night, so I know :-)

And SYM told me this, otherwise I'd have been lost too

Oh, and I bought a fancy Weathertech licence plate bumper frame for the front. Probably overkill, but oh well...
Thanks, Can you provide link to the weathertech bumper and the picture of how does it look on your car please. also I do not have any screws for the license plate bracket, what size are they? are they self-drilling type?
Thank you
Old 05-18-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here you go. I used the screws that came with the weather tech plates. Used the 3/4 inch self-drilling (i.e., sharp tipped ones) for the front

Here is the front plate:
BumpFrame - Bumper Protecting License Plate Frame | WeatherTech.com

Here is the rear (not as fancy but dont need bumper guard there)
License Plate Frame - Plate Frame for All Vehicles | WeatherTech.com

Here are some pics of the front. The rear frame is a basic flat (although I hope a strong one)

Old 05-18-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Looks great !!! And thanks for the troubles of editing and posting pictures. Really appreciate it!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by supplier
Looks great !!! And thanks for the troubles of editing and posting pictures. Really appreciate it!
Very welcome. And FYI, a bunch of different types of screws come with the rear plate holder only (the front bumper came with none), so I used those for the front. In case you dont buy the rear, you will have to get screws from a HW store
Old 04-21-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, the Q was in Manhattan this weekend, and I happened to get a parking spot right in front of the building I was staying in for 2 days so I took it. The space was tight, AND the car in front of me changed 4 times while I was there (these cars usually dont move EVER!). Given how tight it was I was concerned, and even noticed that my plate frame took a bit of a hit (saw an impression in it and dirt), but provided enough bump to protect my bumper. Anyway, bottom line, it gave me the protection I needed! Glad I have it!
Old 04-21-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So, the Q was in Manhattan this weekend, and I happened to get a parking spot right in front of the building I was staying in for 2 days so I took it. The space was tight, AND the car in front of me changed 4 times while I was there (these cars usually dont move EVER!). Given how tight it was I was concerned, and even noticed that my plate frame took a bit of a hit (saw an impression in it and dirt), but provided enough bump to protect my bumper. Anyway, bottom line, it gave me the protection I needed! Glad I have it!
Parking in Manhattan isn't for the faint of heart. I generally avoid taking the Q there unless I have no choice, My beater is an 11 year old Infiniti sedan has battle scars all over.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dohturdima
Parking in Manhattan isn't for the faint of heart. I generally avoid taking the Q there unless I have no choice, My beater is an 11 year old Infiniti sedan has battle scars all over.
No, its not. I've had good luck however, over many many years. My brother lives on the East side and there is free parking for days except street cleaning times, so its hard to pass up versus $60 per day to park. No issues far. However, this was the first time with the Q and I found the tightest spot, and the car in front of me changed 4 times, which never happens.