Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front and Rear camera question

Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Front and Rear camera question

On Q7 w/vision package, can you easily toggle front 180 degree when in Drive, and rear 180 degree when in reverse?
What do they look like, can someone send us some samples? I've been spoiled with very large and wide 180 degree cameras on my X5, I usually toggled that instead of the regular rear camera because those gave me so much more in the picture. Is it as easy on Q7? I know there is P button, and I remember seeing a camera button on dash too, but I might be mistaken.

Also I recall seeing some videos, you cannot have true 180 view, you can only get "corners" which is not really corner but edges of 180 or the center, but not both at the same time, even though there is room on the display (MB handles that by stitching pictures, while BMW displays one full picture)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 10-17-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have pictures handy, but the Q7 has a ton of cameras providing a full 360 view as well as a lot of sensors. I don't recall if the rear view is a full 180 degrees but the field of view is relatively wide. There also is a warning if a car is approaching on either side from behind when pulling out of a parking spot in reverse. This also applies in the front, as the field of view is wide and if you are about to hit anything, the car beeps even if the cameras are off.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you asking about wide angle mode? Yeah, its there in the Q. I dont know if its a true 180 or 170 or whatever but its wide angle for sure.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, so the wide mode is different than the "corner" view, right? You actually get a full screen wide angle picture? Can we just hide the top view or the "sensor" view on the side so we can have the full screen camera?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Thanks, so the wide mode is different than the "corner" view, right? You actually get a full screen wide angle picture? Can we just hide the top view or the "sensor" view on the side so we can have the full screen camera?
You should test drive one and check some of this stuff out for yourself.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not sure what you mean by "corner" mode. There are two modes for both the front and rear camera..."wideangle" and straight up (narrower for lack of better term). You can toggle between these. But none of these will occupy the whole screen. I dont believe you can do that
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I'm not sure what you mean by "corner" mode. There are two modes for both the front and rear camera..."wideangle" and straight up (narrower for lack of better term). You can toggle between these. But none of these will occupy the whole screen. I dont believe you can do that
That's a shame, I was hoping we could just turn off the "overhead" sensor view to make it full screen.
Corner mode I am referring to: Is this old?

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
You should test drive one and check some of this stuff out for yourself.
I did, sadly the test drive didn't have the vision package so I totally forgot about this, until I realized when I was driving my X5.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's hard to know what these pics are showing without comparing them to the regular rear camera image. I think this has just split the widescreen image into 2, but hard to say without anything to compare to
Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a shame, I was hoping we could just turn off the "overhead" sensor view to make it full screen.
Corner mode I am referring to: Is this old?
The Q7 offers both "corner" and "regular" views for front and rear. The screen size suffices even with the "overhead/birds eye" view included, which occupies about 25% space. So the remaining 75% is dedicated to the regular camera view. Also, the corner views are not displayed separately, rather stitched together in one image. I personally never felt the need to make it full screen.

Last edited by sr007; 10-18-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sr007
The Q7 offers both "corner" and "regular" views for front and rear. The screen size suffices even with the "overhead/birds eye" view included, which occupies about 25% space. So the remaining 75% is dedicated to the regular camera view. Also, the corner views are not displayed separately, rather stitched together in one image. I personally never felt the need to make it full screen.
Thanks, so the picture above must be from an older version of MMI.
I noticed in some models (watching youtube) they actually have full screen video with sensor picture overlay on the image. I wonder if that can be coded. That gives a much better view, What would be even cooler if we could have full size rear camera on virtual cockpit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front and Rear camera question