Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front and Rear camera question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't use the cameras while driving down the road. The aide cameras are under the side mirrors, then there's one up front and another out back. The back camera can show both corner view and the normal view which works quite well. You can hide the top view (from what I recall) but I don't see why anyone would want to. The cameras provide more than enough disability in the section you see plus top view is nice on the side. If you can't see it effectively as is, then maybe you shouldn't be driving.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
If you can't see it effectively as is, then maybe you shouldn't be driving.
Scratching under my eyepatch, sipping my rum, arrrr...

It's a personal preference and I am asking if it can be done or not, has nothing to do with not being able to see it. It takes one line of code to make it full screen and hide the useless (under most conditions) top view when you want to see the full front 180*. Sure the top view helps if you really need it when parking or trying to get out tight spots, but when you turn on the front camera, 180 is not very relevant for what you want to see.

You also said you can't use the cameras driving down the road, if you can use them while driving 3mph, it's still driving down the road, my main reason for front 180 view is while getting out of a driveway (have you ever lived in a populated city and drove straight into one way street with vehicles parked densely on both sides?), and with long hood on Q7, and sitting low compared to other SUVs, front 180 would help see the cross traffic which would otherwise be impossible to see. I've used this function daily and it saves the frustration, not to mention potentially hitting bikers who fly down the street on right side.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 10-18-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Scratching under my eyepatch, sipping my rum, arrrr...

It's a personal preference and I am asking if it can be done or not, has nothing to do with not being able to see it. It takes one line of code to make it full screen and hide the useless (under most conditions) top view when you want to see the full front 180*. Sure the top view helps if you really need it when parking or trying to get out tight spots, but when you turn on the front camera, 180 is not very relevant for what you want to see.

You also said you can't use the cameras driving down the road, if you can use them while driving 3mph, it's still driving down the road, my main reason for front 180 view is while getting out of a driveway (have you ever lived in a populated city and drove straight into one way street with vehicles parked densely on both sides?), and with long hood on Q7, and sitting low compared to other SUVs, front 180 would help see the cross traffic which would otherwise be impossible to see. I've used this function daily and it saves the frustration, not to mention potentially hitting bikers who fly down the street on right side.
FYI, with coding, you can make the parking view remain on until about 12mph instead of the slower default speed.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put on a front 180 view while moving. I live in Manhattan and have some thoughts about the usefulness of this with the Q7 and other cars based on my experience.

Using the video feed on a camera to look for oncoming traffic coming from the sides isn't really necessary with a Q7. If a car is coming into your area as you pull out, you will get a chime warning. I have gotten chimes well before anything shows on the camera view.

I also find front view cameras useless driving down tight one way streets, of which there are hundreds in Manhattan. It's temping to think looking at a screen is going to be great, but keep in mind that most of camera systems distort the view as they use very wide-angle lenses, so what you will be seeing is going to be much more distorted than if you just look forward with your eyes. On a tight street, I find the top view more useful than the front view.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I think there is a misunderstanding here, I am not asking to keep the camera on while driving at regular speeds or even 10mph. I also wouldn't rely on the camera to see more than what I could see from my drivers' seat under normal driving conditions. All I wanted to know if we could make the front & rear 180* views full screen. Sounds like we can't. I would try to share some of my experiences where the front full 180* is helpful, I'll try if I can.