Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front Tires feathering

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwoc
I have about 3k on them now. They are wearing good and are just as quiet as the Goodyear. Dealer did not do an alignment because it wasn't needed. Just brought it to them again recently for service and had them check it again and it's still all 4 green for the alignment.
If I may ask, how much did the dealer charge you for the 2 Pirelli tires? And did they charge you to do the recent alignment check? My dealer did an alignment check no-charge at 10K miles but stated that after 12K or 1 year, it would not be free.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nedstand
If I may ask, how much did the dealer charge you for the 2 Pirelli tires? And did they charge you to do the recent alignment check? My dealer did an alignment check no-charge at 10K miles but stated that after 12K or 1 year, it would not be free.
It was about $1,000 total - their 2 for 'free' plus the 2 I bought. No I wasn't charge to check the alignment.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwoc
It was about $1,000 total - their 2 for 'free' plus the 2 I bought. No I wasn't charge to check the alignment.
You must have the best Audi dealer in the world! Our's only changed 1 tire no-charge because of "chunking". They wouldn't replace the other tire that had abnormal tire wear on the outer edge.
I paid the independent tire shop about $900 for 2 new Goodyear run-flats few weeks ago.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks, have the 21” Goodyear with outer edge cupping and the some of the chunking. Audi has a TSB for the Goodyear’s but only the 20s not the 21s. They are replacing the 20” tires with Pirellis thru that TSB. They have now had my car twice for 3 total weeks to determine the tires are wearing normally. I am at 9k miles and have the air suspension

At this point I just want my car back but am disappointed in the response. When I dropped the car off the service folks agreed it didn’t look right (both times) and got my hopes up that they would swap the tires but Audi determined it was fine and not a manufacturer defect

they are telling me to rotate the tires now and when it’s time to swap them I can pay their cost for new ones

anyone get a satisfactory resolution from Audi (tac) with the Goodyear 21s with air suspension or are folks just replacing them on their own?

Old 11-24-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Goodyear tire or alignment?

Folks, got the same feathering issue since 5k-10k mile and just found this post. My car is now almost 4 years with 25k miles so no longer covered by TSB. All tires even wear with 8/32 treadwear left and should last another 10k mile. My concern if the feathering issue only because of Goodyear tire or alignment is one of the reason? Read a post said too much positive camber from factory setting could be a reason. Talked to my SA. He confirmed the TSB would only replace tires without action on alignment. Any feedback from these Pirelli users with 20k miles? Good now or same feathering? Thanks!
Old 11-25-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same feathering issue. It seemed to have decreased when I increase my tire pressure. For me, it made no sense why audi recommended 32 psi in the front and 35 in the back and my front ones would feather on the outside of the tire and the back tires were fine. So I inflated my front ones up after tire rotation. I had the goodyear 20" RFT.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Abidi51214

I had the same issue with my 2018 Q7, 50k 1/4 tire was feathering... took to the audi dealership twice for alignment but no luck, finally they figured out that the front knuckle was bent. Had to pay $2000+ to get this fixed but it ruined my summer tire...

Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

yes, I am now keeping 36psi front 39psi rear all the time. From multiple thread, I have heard inflate them to higher PSI could at least slow down feathering and it somehow work for me.

Originally Posted by ecbc1
I had the same feathering issue. It seemed to have decreased when I increase my tire pressure. For me, it made no sense why audi recommended 32 psi in the front and 35 in the back and my front ones would feather on the outside of the tire and the back tires were fine. So I inflated my front ones up after tire rotation. I had the goodyear 20" RFT.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bended parts could be a reason but not the only reason or probably not the main reason because too many user report the same issue and I don’t believe all of us have bended parts.
Are you out of warranty? Did your dealership prove you use the car beyond normal or otherwise supposed to claim warranty for you?

Originally Posted by Abidi20
I had the same issue with my 2018 Q7, 50k 1/4 tire was feathering... took to the audi dealership twice for alignment but no luck, finally they figured out that the front knuckle was bent. Had to pay $2000+ to get this fixed but it ruined my summer tire...

Old 11-26-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by jvzanetti
yes, I am now keeping 36psi front 39psi rear all the time. From multiple thread, I have heard inflate them to higher PSI could at least slow down feathering and it somehow work for me.
39 is a little high considering you will be approaching max recommended tire pressure in the summer if you take a long fast drive on the highway with a loaded car or if you were towing...

Quick Reply: Front Tires feathering