Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front Tires feathering

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Those tire pressures are for a fully loaded (7 passengers) car. If you are just one or two in the car, the normal load tire pressures are recommended. Check the tires section in your vehicle's owners manual for the correct figures.
Thank you. So I had it right. I originally mentioned mine have been running 32 to 33 max. Book says 32 for both front and rear under normal load (bottom line for the 21s)

Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
In the USA, recommend pressure is right in the car...I will up my rear tires to 35 but fronts indeed say 32....

Clearly something is at odds, I've attached a photo of the tyre pressure information from my car, label on European cars to the rear of the drivers door. Tyres are 285/45 R20, normal pressures 38 psi, comfort setting 33 psi. The handbook states that when using comfort setting increased tyre wear may occur. With most of the problems of tyre wear being on US cars, I think all US cars are running in comfort setting.
Attached Thumbnails Front Tires feathering-img_0344.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cracker Dave
UK spec cars state tyre pressure of 38psi for 20" wheels, 32psi seems very low for this class of car and will inevitably make the tyres wear on their outer edges. Double check with Audi for correct pressures, of course you could try the higher pressure and see how you go! My tyres are wearing evenly, car has air suspension, but not rear wheel steering.
Is this down to UK not using runflats though?
Old 06-17-2017, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by srbsq7
Is this down to UK not using runflats though?
Good point, but are your tyres wearing unevenly and do all US spec cars come with run flats, if they do then it really must come down to different suspension settings?
Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The OEM 21s in the US are not runflats, they are summer high performance. I have the air suspension and drive in either Auto or Dynamic, never comfort and needed new ones at 940O miles (okay I could have driven a bit longer on them but fronts were so worn down on the edges). I think it was the "perfect storm".... OEM conti sportcontact 5 is soft rubber, on a heavy SUV and waiting until my first service (10k) to rotate (should have rotated at 4k and even then, I think would have been lucky to get 20k out of the OEM Conti tires). I am hopeful that switching to the highly rated Conti DWS all season will work out better. So far, so good and much prefer having an all season tire vs summer.

Last edited by Meyecul; 06-17-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
I have the air suspension and drive in either Auto or Dynamic, never comfort and needed new ones at 940O miles (okay I could have driven a bit longer on them but fronts were so worn down on the edges).
Comfort (for tires) is not referencing your drive mode settings. It's referring to tire manufacture designation of a tire stiffness feel. When inflated to 32psi tires will be softer, giving you a feeling of more comfort, at 38psi they will be harder therefore more harsh on bumps (less comfort).

I found that most car manufacturers list standard recommended psi a little low, which causes feathering of the tires. For most of my past SUVs recommended psi was 32psi. Over the years I have noticed significant feathering when driving at that psi settings, feathering was reduced or almost gone when operating at 35psi. That's what I plan to use on Q7 (R20 runflats).
Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Comfort (for tires) is not referencing your drive mode settings. It's referring to tire manufacture designation of a tire stiffness feel. When inflated to 32psi tires will be softer, giving you a feeling of more comfort, at 38psi they will be harder therefore more harsh on bumps (less comfort).

I found that most car manufacturers list standard recommended psi a little low, which causes feathering of the tires. For most of my past SUVs recommended psi was 32psi. Over the years I have noticed significant feathering when driving at that psi settings, feathering was reduced or almost gone when operating at 35psi. That's what I plan to use on Q7 (R20 runflats).
Oh, I see. Thank you. Hmm. Yeah.. perhaps trying 34-35 would be more optimal. My dealer sets them at 33 so just a tick above the recommended psi
Old 06-17-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

There is also one more factor. When do you check your tire pressure? If the tires were left in the sun for a few hours, pressure will be few psi higher - not really "cold" tire pressure, opposite at night. If you measure the pressure and it seems high and you lower it to 32psi, you might have deflated the tire below optimal level.

The term "cold tire pressure" is kind of misleading. Basically it refers to tire pressure before you start driving in particular conditions (summer, winter, elevation, etc.), but other factors play a roll too - such as the sun and shade. Generally I would check the tire pressure once a month in a morning (when it's cloudy outside) and try to stick with adjusted pressure for a month (barring unforeseen circumstances).
Old 06-20-2017, 05:10 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Stopped by my dealer on Saturday to pick up some touch up paint I had ordered. While there I spoke to my SA and requested that they check the alignment.

I have to give my dealer credit, without an appointment they put it on the rack and happy to say the alignment was in spec. Based on what I read in this thread I figured I'd better have it checked. And it doesn't hurt to have it on record in case I run into an issue down the road with premature tire wear..

Last edited by JT4; 06-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Had mine realigned and recalibrated yesterday. It was out of alignment, especially the rear suspension contributing to the front tire feathering.

Quick Reply: Front Tires feathering