Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Frustration: Fixing tilted steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the road crown and imperfection etc.. When I tested the steering wheel level, I tried the "almost" flat road and highway. I have other sedans and SUVs, and none have this issue. I even tested it with the bubble leveler, and it does indeed off center.

Last time, the technician had me sit in the car, hold the steering wheel level and straight (doubled check with the water bubble leveler to confirm), and it didn't help :-(

I've read the doc on BMW forum, and mentioned it to dealer's SA today ... He said he gonna talk to lead technician and call me back tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pgtop
Hi

I brought my car to dealer to fix the alignment / tracking / steering wheel FOUR times, and the problem still persists :-( The car is still very new, only about 1600 miles when I brought it to the dealer to fix it.

I really need yours advice on how to move forward / fix this.

Here is how it went:
1) FIRST TIME: Initially, the steering wheel was level and horizontal straight, but the car moved to the right. So I brought it to dealer to check it out. They acknowledged the issue, and according to the doc, they adjusted the rear toe to negative (or something like that)

Brought it home .. do more test drive

2) SECOND TIME: Discovered the steering wheel now is titled to the right, and the car still moved to the right (although it was less severe than the first time). Told the SA the issue, they kept the car for like 3 days... then returned the car back to me, said everything is ok now. I'm not clear anything has been done during these last 3 days?!

3) THIRD TIME: Seem like nothing has been done during the last visit?! Told SA and requested test-drive with shop foreman, and showed him the issue. They acknowledged the issue, and did alignment, adjusted toe, camper, steering wheel etc.. and what's not. When I picked up the car, the SA gave me the spec list, which showed numbers within the (Audi?) specs.

4) FOURTH TIME: The car now tracks straight, so I guess alignment and stuffs are fine. HOWEVER the steering tilted to the left :-( Brought it in to the dealer again, and this time, the technician had me sit on the rack, and hold the steering level / horizontal straight. Then he tighten bolts or something, and checked the number on sensor screen...

Brought it home .. do more test drive ... and the steering wheel still tilts to the left (although it's a tiny bit less than before)

* They did check the tire pressure

I'm exhausted, and tired with this whole ordeal. I understand road crown and such, so when I test drive and check steering wheel level, I only consider "flat" surface road. Local / highway, low speed / high speed does not matter, steering is slightly tilted to the left when the car go straight. When I drive fast on highway, without (or only slightly) hold on to the steering wheel, I could see the steering wheel *default* position is titled.

Also, I don't think I'm being too sensitive. I don't have this issue with my other SUVs or sedans. The steering level was fine initially, then titled right, and now titled left, so I felt the different there after the servicing at dealer.

Is there something wrong with my car? Anything else that I should check or the dealer may have missed?

What is your advice on proceeding with this matter?

All I really want is to get it fixed, and enjoy my car :-(

Please help!!!!
Hi, Just want to know if you have any update? I got the same steering issue as you and mine is about 1500 mile now. My car is going toward to right when I center the steer. It always few degree off tilting to left.
My dealer do alignment for me first time but it didn't fix it. The second time they checked alignment and it showed every angle is in specs so they can't adjust it.
I doubt if I am too sensitive or it's torque vector issue by AWD ? Hope someone has the solution for this issue. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire swap is important as some tires have imperfections which is not shown on the alignment scope
Run flats are notorious for this issue
Dependent upon if you bought or lease also ( in their mind , not yours ) determines how flexible you are to swallowiing this issue.
Either-way, I would be meticulous with my documentation; let Audi North America know if this is not resolved soon you will pursue alternatives such as social media activities and local lemon law ( find out what you can do in your State).
Getting a $70-80K car that drive sideways down the road is not acceptable
Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I feel your pain

I had the same issue with my Q7. Top of steering wheel is at 11:00 when driving on perfectly level road. Dealer worked on it three times and still didn't correct the problem. Interestingly, the wheel seems to be correct (top at 12:00) for a short distance after the first drive of the day followed by a gradual creep back to 11:00. I have done the tie rod adjustment on other cars to correct the "off center" steering wheel, but am a little reluctant to do it on the Q7. The car tracks straight even after tire rotation so I know it's not the alignment. Gave up on the dealer. Seems like it is an engineering issue somehow connect to the electronic centering of the steering rack.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
I had the same issue with my Q7. Top of steering wheel is at 11:00 when driving on perfectly level road. Dealer worked on it three times and still didn't correct the problem. Interestingly, the wheel seems to be correct (top at 12:00) for a short distance after the first drive of the day followed by a gradual creep back to 11:00. I have done the tie rod adjustment on other cars to correct the "off center" steering wheel, but am a little reluctant to do it on the Q7. The car tracks straight even after tire rotation so I know it's not the alignment. Gave up on the dealer. Seems like it is an engineering issue somehow connect to the electronic centering of the steering rack.
Man that is annoying. I had a Honda SUV back in the day and in order to keep it in a straight line the steering wheel had to be held at 11 oclock. It was very annoying, and I would wish they would remove the steering wheel and just install it off by a few degrees to correct it...LOL
Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the car tracks straight and the only thing "off" is the steering wheel, it's easy enough to remove the wheel and adjust it. I had to do it multiple times when I installed a flat bottom steering wheel on my A4 to get it perfectly straight. If you're not the DIY type, this should be a no brainer for the tech at your dealership. Worth mentioning to your SA.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many owners are going to go out and check the steering wheel "tilt" now? I suspect this post just introduced an issue to many owners... which they never knew they had because they never noticed.
Dang!
Old 02-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForce-A8L
How many owners are going to go out and check the steering wheel "tilt" now? I suspect this post just introduced an issue to many owners... which they never knew they had because they never noticed.
Dang!
HAHAHA... funny... just yesterday, i was playing with the Adaptive Chassis... when you put it in "All-Road" mode, the display actually tells you the number of degrees you are turning the steering wheel... when I am driving straight, it is at zero. In my case, the steering wheel is perfectly aligned straight up when driving straight, and when the All-Road display says "zero".
(FYI, All-Road also displays the angle extremes your car has been during that drive... forward/back/right/left.. Yesterday, I hit 8 degrees in all directions due to the hills in So Orange County CA...)