Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Garage with Rolling Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem. It was such a pain to get it programmed initially. Took about 45 minutes. Now it works about 90% of the time. The other 10% I or my wife actually has to get out of the car and open the door with the code on the outside of the house. It should be such a simple thing -my Toyotas, Hondas, etc. never had this much trouble opening/closing garage doors. At least I love how the car drives!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same problem. I tried programming for an hour and it wouldn't work. But my car was having other issues, seat memory getting erased, doors not unlocking with proximity sensor. I took my car in and it was in the shop for almost 3 weeks because they had to get the control module ordered from Germany. After getting it back, it programmed on my 2nd try. Since then its been working great.

Service guy told me alot of the Q7's were coming in for the same problem.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This being my 4th Audi, I have the hang of it - took maybe 2 minutes to sync up.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not able to figure out the way to program my craftsman garage door. I have the garage door opener and the clicker as shown. The MMI keeps asking me to press and hold transmitter. I only have the clicker as shown. I tried pressing all buttons on the clicker which did not help. Has anyone figured out how to program the opener type I have with their homelink?
Attached Thumbnails Garage with Rolling Code-20160704_185817.jpg   Garage with Rolling Code-20160704_185825.jpg   Garage with Rolling Code-20160704_185902.jpg  
Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
I am not able to figure out the way to program my craftsman garage door. I have the garage door opener and the clicker as shown. The MMI keeps asking me to press and hold transmitter. I only have the clicker as shown. I tried pressing all buttons on the clicker which did not help. Has anyone figured out how to program the opener type I have with their homelink?
You have to have a handheld transmitter that you can have physically inside the car & hold up next to the rear view mirror.
If you don't have one - your best bet is buy an inexpensive one from Sears, Home Depot, Amazon, etc, program it to your opener & then use it to program the car.
Even if you took that "Clicker" off the wall & took it inside the car, I'm not sure it would do the job since you have to program in a code to make it activate the door (as opposed to just pushing a button on a normal handheld remote).

Last edited by Cadx6; 07-05-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you don't have one - your best bet is buy an inexpensive one from Sears, Home Depot, Amazon, etc, program it to your opener & then use it to program the car.
Yes I tried that and it did not help. The car did not recognize the handheld remote I got from Homedepot.
Even if you took that "Clicker" off the wall & took it inside the car, I'm not sure it would do the job
Tried taking the wall clicker inside the car and that did not help for the reason you mentioned.

Is there any other way? I have exhausted all the options.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=ven7782;24830766]Yes I tried that and it did not help. The car did not recognize the handheld remote I got from Homedepot.

Tried taking the wall clicker inside the car and that did not help for the reason you mentioned.

Is there any other way? I have exhausted all the options.[w/QUOTE]

Did the remote you got from Home Depot work to activate the door after you programmed it to the door?
If it did - there's something about the way you're doing the learning process in the car. Lots of people have had problems but most eventually worked it out. Just exactly follow the instructions that display on the MMI screen. Both my Q7 & A4 programmed instantly (just luck I guess).
Sorry I can't be more help - it definitely can try your patience.
When it works, this process is far better than on my 2013s. With those - you had to start the process inside the car, hold the remote in front of the car pointing at the left turn signal, run and push the door opener learn button, etc. If that didn't work, you started all over again

Last edited by Cadx6; 07-05-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Success at last. Called up homelink. The trick was to use the clicker of course and to key in the code + 0 (hold the 0 until the homelink syncs up with it). Then press the learn button on the garage door opener and press and hold the button you need to program. Took less than 2 minutes.

Note: The clicker has to be removed from the wall outlet and taken inside the vehicle.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue with New 2017 Q&

I have a Genie rolling code opener. My new Audi Q7 will not pair with it either. My Lincolns paired without issue. I just keep getting there is an error do you want to try again? For this price range car this should work!

Originally Posted by PROEDGEBIKER.COM
After 1hr of trying, it finally worked, it locked the button to the door, made the door go down, button turned green and thats it.
It does not work again, door does not go up, once i put it up with other remote it will not go down.

Has anyone figured this out?

BTW, I can't get my neighborhood gate remote to sync either...
Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken430TX
I have a Genie rolling code opener. My new Audi Q7 will not pair with it either. My Lincolns paired without issue. I just keep getting there is an error do you want to try again? For this price range car this should work!
it really is insane.. Mine works fine to close the garage after i pull out but it maybe only opens it back up 20% of the time. We just gave up and carry with us the garage door opener.

Quick Reply: Garage with Rolling Code