Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Garage with Rolling Code

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I had no issues pairing my three Craftsman openers with my Q7 once I figured out the pairing procedure is different than what it was with my A7 and Q5. After pairing I've had no issues with opening or closing. In the Q7 it seems to work farther away from the garage then with the other vehicles.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Homelink 2017 Audi Q7

I finally successfully programmed my Homelink on my new 2017 Q7 by going to the homelink.com web page, and putting in my car type, and then following their directions rather than the Audi manual directions. Worked the first time!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PROEDGEBIKER.COM
it really is insane.. Mine works fine to close the garage after i pull out but it maybe only opens it back up 20% of the time. We just gave up and carry with us the garage door opener.
If you have HomeLink, I would suggest you really try to get it to work. My dealer offered to come to our house to pair ours up, but it wasn't necessary as I got it to work first time. Ours is a rolling code, but a newer Chamberlain model.

Think about this scenario: carrying a remote "clicker" in your car is essentially carrying a key to your home and attaching it to your visor. There have been instances where cars are being broken into (usually by breaking the window) to steal the remote from the car while you're shopping. So you come out to the car and find the window broken...you call the cops to report...cops take a while to get to the parking lot. Meanwhile, the bad buy has also rifled your glove box and maybe found your registration with your address, and heads over there to peruse your home, since he knows you're probably waiting for the cops.

New, less expensive cars are now being built without HomeLink installed, not even offered as an option. My wife's '15 CRV has no HomeLink, so she had to use the remote clicker. Instead, I bought a key fob remote for the Chamberlain door opener so she doesn't have to leave the larger one in her car, it's with her all the time. Cost around $34 at Lowes.

While the possibility of the preceding happening may be a stretch, it has happened. Way I look at it, we take as many precautions as possible to lessen the chances, especially to protect our property and most importantly our families.

Just a suggestion.....
Old 09-26-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken430TX
I have a Genie rolling code opener. My new Audi Q7 will not pair with it either. My Lincolns paired without issue. I just keep getting there is an error do you want to try again? For this price range car this should work!
Ok, I have a Genie - intelliG 1200, and I too can not get it to work. Called the 800 help number for homelink and we tried all sorts of combinations and still would not work. They finally told me to call the dealer and have them come to the home and program it. Apparently, they have some other trouble shooting steps they can do. We'll see.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have been doing a little research on the Genie website. My remote has software version 2.0.3. Per a note in the programming instructions, this software version may not be compatible with Homelink. Says get a remote that is a different version. Will head to Lowe's to get a new remote that has a different version tomorrow. Will update later.

Last edited by dbull; 09-26-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbull
Ok, I have a Genie - intelliG 1200, and I too can not get it to work. Called the 800 help number for homelink and we tried all sorts of combinations and still would not work. They finally told me to call the dealer and have them come to the home and program it. Apparently, they have some other trouble shooting steps they can do. We'll see.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have been doing a little research on the Genie website. My remote has software version 2.0.3. Per a note in the programming instructions, this software version may not be compatible with Homelink. Says get a remote that is a different version. Will head to Lowe's to get a new remote that has a different version tomorrow. Will update later.

I bought a new Genie remote that was not software version 2.0.3 and it programed properly. Only took about 2 minutes.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ken430TX
I finally successfully programmed my Homelink on my new 2017 Q7 by going to the homelink.com web page, and putting in my car type, and then following their directions rather than the Audi manual directions. Worked the first time!
+1

The MMI tells you to point your garage door remote at the rear-view mirror, but the HomeLink video tells you to point it directly at the HomeLink buttons. Tried for 15 minutes last night pointing at the mirror, took 15 seconds this morning pointing at the HomeLink.

Once it's learned the button, go inside, press the learn button on the opener, then press the HomeLink button - it will ask if you want to synchronize, say yes, then press the button a few times until the garage door starts moving.

This worked for me, though it's clear various people have had luck with various methods.

Here's the video for Chamberlain, LiftMaster and Craftsman:
Old 11-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by titoj19
+1

The MMI tells you to point your garage door remote at the rear-view mirror, but the HomeLink video tells you to point it directly at the HomeLink buttons. Tried for 15 minutes last night pointing at the mirror, took 15 seconds this morning pointing at the HomeLink.
Same here, it just wouldn't take until I pointed the remote up away from the mirror....