Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Gas premium 91 or 93?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy Top Tier gas brands. Don't care which one, whichever is the cheapest at the time. Octane is for anti-knocking and 91 is sufficient. 93 doesn't add any value but doesn't hurt.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have the Stewart's chain here and they sell ethanol free gas...I think it's 91...we use ethanol free in all our equipment so I spend the extra bucks to keep the carburetor clean...it has a significant effect on our other machines...not sure if it has the same benefits for the car...
Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I have to go 93, because thats what we mostly get here...87, 89, 93.
Same here in the Tampa area. In the past, I sometimes ran into the situation where a station was out of any premium gasoline.

In my area, there are not too many luxury vehicles in the first place..LOL..

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 01-16-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:57 PM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I have to go 93, because thats what we mostly get here...87, 89, 93. If I happen to be at a pump with 91 (some sunocos I believe), I'll fill with 91, even though its only 3-4 cents cheaper than 93
Same here, I use 93 for the exact reason you mentioned..
Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
It helps RTM closely - it says 91 octane content minimum, not exclusively 91.
I do buy 91, 92 or 93 where it is convenient at the moment. When I am at home town, I often gas up at Costco Gas selling very decent 91 grade 25-30 cents cheaper than anyone else in town (using Costco Visa for gas gives additional 4% back).
If I'll have a choice, I'll buy no ethanol gas, because this whole thing about burning food and being environmentally conscious at the same time is a complete baloney, or as Brits'd say bollocks.
FYI — production of ethanol from field corn only removes sugars from the feed, and actually enriches the remaining grain with additional proteins and fats. This corn was never meant for human consumption — only cattle and pigs — and ethanol production actually provided additional products and markets, including the food it still helps to produce. Ethanol production hurting/reducing food production is utterly incorrect — it actually yields additional and increased products. Bottom line —ethanol production reduces nothing from the grain that has been grown. You might enjoy this video which describes this, and other feedstocks now being used to produce fuels:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
FYI — production of ethanol from field corn only removes sugars from the feed, and actually enriches the remaining grain with additional proteins and fats. This corn was never meant for human consumption — only cattle and pigs — and ethanol production actually provided additional products and markets, including the food it still helps to produce. Ethanol production hurting/reducing food production is utterly incorrect — it actually yields additional and increased products. Bottom line —ethanol production reduces nothing from the grain that has been grown. You might enjoy this video which describes this, and other feedstocks now being used to produce fuels: https://youtu.be/gqjmdWHzlhk
The EPA was BIG time against this corn for fuel thing due to what it did to the environment. Then all of a sudden they were quiet. Looks like the corn lobbies got the money where it needed to be. Firm believer that alcohol should NOT be in our fuel.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
The EPA was BIG time against this corn for fuel thing due to what it did to the environment. Then all of a sudden they were quiet. Looks like the corn lobbies got the money where it needed to be. Firm believer that alcohol should NOT be in our fuel.
OK, first and foremost, chicken, pork, beef eating field corn...not a new thing. First thing would be to reduce that. And you mention corn lobby...guess the monstrous tax break on petroleum and lobby by petroleum companies on EPA and others doesn't happen? Interesting how a clean-burning American-made product leads to such controversy. Eventually enough fracking will lead to plenty of earthquakes in parts of the country, maybe American oil will face some realities.
Second, EtOH vs. MTBE -- the latter as a carcinogen, and groundwater and soil contaminant -- the former is neither. The concept is to add an oxygenating agent to fuel, and EtOH is plainly a better solution.
Third, certain small engines types not working well with EtOH, yes. But considering the decades of using 10% EtOH in fuels, the billions of miles driven total -- and for me, my Acura MDX, my Ducati Panigale 899, my Q7 -- have and do operate flawlessly with EtOH present. Engines and components are all compatible. Then, it goes without mention the existence of FlexFuel vehicles...hell, the Model-T was the first vehicle that ran on all fuel types.

In theme with above, when rail car/tanker filled with EtoH crashes/leaks....this has quite a different outcome than the same with oil and hydrocarbons.

All food for thought.

Cheers....
Old 01-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My food for thought is I still do not like alcohol in my fuel.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
My food for thought is I still do not like alcohol in my fuel.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We cannot agree on this. Hand-picking a few facts without having the whole situation represented in full is a convenient way to manipulate public opinion. I look at things from pure practicality perspectives.
Returning a favor - read this for an entertainment:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...anol-mandates/

Quick Reply: Gas premium 91 or 93?