Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
View Poll Results: Brake Squeal - where are you hearing it?
Right front (RF)
35.00%
Left front (LF)
30.00%
Right rear (RR)
5.00%
Left rear (LR)
5.00%
Can't really tell it is too loud!
60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

The Dreaded Brake Squeal (no, not the Dread Pirate Roberts)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Dreaded Brake Squeal (no, not the Dread Pirate Roberts)

Running threads on brake squeal - here and here.

While washing the Q7 today, I took a closer look at the brakes. My squeal is with the right front and what I found was that the rotor was scored. I didn't pull the wheel to look at the pad but I thought I would put up a poll to see where everyone else is hearing the squeak from. I am just curious if this is a pad issue or something else. I didn't measure the pads but there is definitely a good amount of material left and I am at 22k.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:26 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I am going to vote "Can't really tell it's too loud".

But it's not because they're too loud, it's simply because it seems like it's coming from all of them.. I am just very pleased that the noise is still going away within a few minutes of driving..
Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned

Not getting any brake noise but still have less than 2k on the ODO.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe someone should take a print of the brake squeal threads and send it off to Consumer Reports or Car and Driver and then ask them why they don't address this in their commentaries
I find it incredible in the age of social media, (which I am not a big fan of...) ......none of the car magazines have taken a moment to look at any auto forums to gauge consumers opinion which is probably much more spot on then the magzanes long term reviews tech writers
After all.....reading a segment in a car review article about what consumers have to say about the dependabilty, safety and performance of the vehicle I think is as important as the writers commentary .... perhaps more important
Old 01-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Poll needs one more option

in order to get accurate results, this poll should have two more options...
"No Noise Noticed - over 20kMiles"
"No Noise Noticed - UNDER 20k Miles"

This would get more valuable data.. if there was 1000 responses, and only a few DIDNT have noise, then we could take it further.. but this survey doesn't take into account those that dont have noise, so we dont really know how many total people are responding.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 PM
eiw
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
in order to get accurate results, this poll should have two more options...
"No Noise Noticed - over 20kMiles"
"No Noise Noticed - UNDER 20k Miles"

This would get more valuable data.. if there was 1000 responses, and only a few DIDNT have noise, then we could take it further.. but this survey doesn't take into account those that dont have noise, so we dont really know how many total people are responding.
Totally agree. Possible to edit the poll?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eiw
Totally agree. Possible to edit the poll?
probably not editable... maybe we just need to make a new one.
So far only 9 official respondents, 5 hear sound on one side, and 4 on the other... but what we dont know is how many people have not noticed sound, or are over X Miles (with new brakes) and have no sound.
I actually believe, and am fearful that the reported sounds are bad, and I am not looking forward to hitting the mileage mark where the sound starts.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:08 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

For what it's worth, below is what I posted in another thread yesterday;

"So I called my service advisor and I barely had to explain the brake squealing noise when she told me that they have had a ton of complaints. She said that it's not just the Q7 but other models are affected also. As we've heard on the forum, she explained that a fix is in the works and added me to a PSS list so that when a fix is available I will be contacted.

Of course she didn't have an answer for me in regards to when I could expect a fix to be available, but she did say that her GM had recently mentioned to them in a meeting that it should be coming soon since Audi has been working on it for a while now.

I told her that I was surprised that I was being added to the "fix" list even though they haven't duplicated my issue.. She said that since they have had so many complaints, and have duplicated the noise on a lot of vehicles they're really not questioning customers they are familiar with who call in..

So if nothing else, I am glad that at least there is now a record of me complaining about this, just in case it ever becomes more of an issue for me than it currently is."
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by timshuwy
probably not editable... maybe we just need to make a new one.
So far only 9 official respondents, 5 hear sound on one side, and 4 on the other... but what we dont know is how many people have not noticed sound, or are over X Miles (with new brakes) and have no sound.
I actually believe, and am fearful that the reported sounds are bad, and I am not looking forward to hitting the mileage mark where the sound starts.
I tried to see if the post was editable but alas couldn't figure it out so I guess no. My main intent was to elicit response from people who had the problem and try to see if a given corner was the more predominately problematic. I have RF squealing and those rotors are scored.
2017 Q7 scored RF rotor (the squealing one)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyone tried using brake cleaner fluid to see if it makes any difference?

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Brake Squeal (no, not the Dread Pirate Roberts)