Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Getting ready to place an order. Any advice?

Old 03-02-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitchens97
I love it, but one thing to consider is when you might resell. This stuff is becoming more and more standard (heck Toyota are making it standard on all models). I suspect it may become standard on the Prestige soon, and by end of life of Mark 2 I expect it will be standard across the line. You don't want to be reselling the one that doesn't have it.
I feel I should get the night vision at that point so I can just check every box there is!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
Its certainly your money and you can spend it how you want to, but I'd encourage you to grab a CD and a digital form (phone/sd card) and go to the dealership, listen to the bose for a few min. and then a B&O if you can. I believe the MMI downsamples the SD card even when using a lossless source (I saw a spec sheet somewhere on it) and it probably explains why I think the CD sounds better (and I'd rather it not, digital music is so much easier) (other possible explanation: better DAC in the cd player). Since the CD player is in the glove box and a PITA to access, using it is not very practical (not to mention there's scant storage space for discs).

Using a bad source will lower the ceiling of sound quality often well below that of a lesser stereo (IMO), I consider myself a bit of an audiophile but seeing as a multidisc changer is not an option (in the US at least, I even looked aftermarket with no success), I considered the BO for about 8 seconds and decided no way. If you want to pay for the upgrade just to listen to talk radio...by all means, I'm just trying to give you caution as to what you're paying for and why it may (or may not) be a good idea.
People still own CDs? I have mine all on a spindle somewhere in a closet. There is no DAC in a cd player. You are correct it, downsamples to 24-bit/48kHz which is plenty high enough quality to be heard on a different stereo. FLAC seems to be supported by the newer MMI. That is more than enough for a car and way past mp3. I might be able to test the B&O on one of the sedans. I read some threads on the B&O system. They actually put a ton of work into the system. I do feel it should be a $2-3000 dollar upgrade. 5K is absurd, but I love listening to music and I will road trip a lot around Colorado. I am going to take your advice and bring a SD with some FLAC. I am all for saving 5K!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...sions-2895888/
New Audi A8 (2017): An inside look at Audi's 'Godzilla' 3D sound system
Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

CD audio is 44.1Khz.

All cd players need a DAC, you can't hear 0s and 1s.

I decided to pull my manual out, here's what it says (also I have a 256 GB card it works fine, so at least 1 spec on this page can be exceeded).
https://ownersmanuals2.com/audi/q7-2...71137/page-245

I don't see any alarm bells on the spec sheet...

My ears can't tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 or flac on my Bose system, but the CD sounds a hair better. (determined by switching media source from the same song) Maybe I'm crazy., maybe my ripper sucks, I don't know why I can hear it, but I can.

I'm sure the B&O sounds better than the bose with identical source, and honestly even if I'm correct about the difference between CD and FLAC files. (whatever the reason) the difference is subtle enough the B&O probably still sounds better on FLAC than the Bose on CD (although if you use lower quality digital formats I would doubt that), but if for convenience sake I'm unwilling to maximize my cheap stereo, I couldn't possibly justify spending more. (and perhaps that's not an important criteria for you, in which case ignore me )
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M0J0
The sole thing I would want is the adaptive cruise with traffic assist. Jeez this would be handy with how bad I-70 traffic can get. I tend to drive fast for long distance trips. I won't use the adaptive cruise that much. The lane assist I find really annoying. I don't really have a need for presense front. I would rather put that $2400 towards the stereo. I did not check the night vision box either!
Traffic assist is more amazing that I thought it would be. Adaptive cruise (ACC) helps keep you from getting too close to the car in front while on cruise control, dreaming to the music... and while I don't "need" pre-sense front... it works together with the ACC to "Make sure" you don't slam into that car. I see the $2,400 as "AIC" or "Accident Insurance Policy"
Old 03-05-2018, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since an option you're looking at is a white exterior, I'd recommend looking at a Cedar Brown interior, if your dealership has one to show you.

We weren't going to wait 3-4 months for a custom build since we needed a replacement before winter but we were set on Orca Black/Black interior until we saw the Cedar interior in proper lighting. It's very different in hue from the Nougat Brown and since you're getting the Luxury Package, it comes with the blue Alcantara interior as well.

I could take pics for you, if Cedar is an option for you, but I am so glad we were able to move on from the very nice black interior and look at something as unique as the cedar in proper lighting and not just Audi USA's images on their website. The blue/brown contrast is just amazing and gets a lot of looks and comments from people that catch a glimpse of it when the doors are open.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I looked at the Cedar Brown which I actually love. I need to go back to Audi with two SD cards to listen and look at some more color combos. I might break down and get the DAP. I generally find the systems to just be annoying.

Yes, I know CD players need a DAC. I just meant there is no dedicated DAC to the CD player. All the sources run through the DAC.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Cedar Brown which I actually love. I need to go back to Audi with two SD cards to listen and look at some more color combos. I might break down and get the DAP. I generally find the systems to just be annoying.

Yes, I know CD players need a DAC. I just meant there is no dedicated DAC to the CD player. All the sources run through the DAC.

Yeah, I can't speak to the BO sound system as I never actually listened to it, but the Prestige gets a "bumped" Bose system over stock Bose and whatever it is, it sounds just fine. But you should try it out with the SD card and while I'm no audiophile, I imagine the best experience would be to use FLAC on those SD cards.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just meant there is no dedicated DAC to the CD player. All the sources run through the DAC.
I would actually assume this as well, I'm just postulating why there might be a difference, to my ears all things do not seem equal. Could be something with the decoding hardware/software too (i presume its software, but I don't actually know without looking at schematics)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just placed my order. 6% off which was fair. I should get my delivery in late June.

Prestige
Carrara White/Cedar Brown/Gray Oak
CWP, LP, ACP, DAP, B&O, TP, Black Alcantara, jack kit.

Last edited by M0J0; 03-07-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats, did you gauge the sound quality difference then or just decide to spend the money?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting ready to place an order. Any advice?