AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Getting ready to place an order. Any advice? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/getting-ready-place-order-any-advice-2944062/)

M0J0 02-28-2018 05:44 PM

Getting ready to place an order. Any advice?

I bought a house in Breckenridge,CO late last year and will be moving there full time in July when construction is completed. I will have to give up my M3 for a dad chariot. This is quite painful for me. Audi of Central Houston says there is a 3 month wait. I am going to order in a week to give myself padding. They said they could title it in Colorado to save money. I have read people are getting anywhere from 5-9% off. The build I am looking at is:

Prestige
Carrara White/Valcona Pistachio Beige/Walnut
Samurai Grey/Valcona Black/Oak Grey
20" 10 spoke
Cold weather package
Luxury package
Adaptive Chassis package
Bang & Olufsen
Tow Package

I am torn on the color combo. I like the Grey/Black. I don't care for the rims on the black optics. I would just have the chrome wrapped in black. I am going to have a clear bra installed anyways. I like the 20" rims and a slightly better ride quality. The other question is 5K for the B&O is painful, but I am no fan of Bose.

sr007 02-28-2018 05:57 PM

Build looks good! While you have ticked every available option, any specific reason for leaving Drivers Assistance Package (DAP) unchecked?

M0J0 02-28-2018 06:10 PM

The sole thing I would want is the adaptive cruise with traffic assist. Jeez this would be handy with how bad I-70 traffic can get. I tend to drive fast for long distance trips. I won't use the adaptive cruise that much. The lane assist I find really annoying. I don't really have a need for presense front. I would rather put that $2400 towards the stereo. I did not check the night vision box either!

M0J0 02-28-2018 06:15 PM

One more thing. I will need a set of snow tires. I read that Denver dealerships will store your tires. Does anyone here have any experience with this? My gf used to live in Denver and says you don't need extra rims. They will swap the tires on, but that seems like a lot of work. Removing, mounting, balancing.

AlbertQ7 02-28-2018 06:57 PM

To each his own, but you asked for our opinion...sooo.... I cannot imagine ever getting a car without some sort of DAP after having mine since Sept. I us the adaptive cruise much more than I would have expected - both in the city and on the highway. It makes for more relaxing trips and helps me also keep from speeding too much. I go back and forth between setting lane assist on Early for long drives and Late most of the time. Pretty sure you can turn it off if you don't like it. Finally, even though I consider myself an attentive driver, I've had presense save my bacon once when it seemed to react to a car that was 2 cars ahead of me. That car pulled a bonehead move, but it was blocked from my view by the car between it and me. The car directly in front of me pulled an evasive maneuver, and voila - surprise! I would have been able to avoid an accident, but presense kicked in sooner than I could have reacted and made it much easier to avoid the idiot, and therefore also made it less likely that I would in turn be hit by the car behind me because my maneuver would have been more extreme.
Anyway, I also think it could be helpful for resale. I chose DAP easily for B&O, but I'm not an audiophile. Sometimes I wish I had the luxury package for the seats, but I had to limit my budget at a certain point. DAP far outweighs both B&O and luxury in my mind. If you can afford it, I say you should add it!

gassermd 02-28-2018 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by M0J0 (Post 25117562)
One more thing. I will need a set of snow tires. I read that Denver dealerships will store your tires. Does anyone here have any experience with this? My gf used to live in Denver and says you don't need extra rims. They will swap the tires on, but that seems like a lot of work. Removing, mounting, balancing.

Most Audi dealerships in cold weather climates offer a winter wheel pkg and will store your tires. It is 3K though, which seems pretty steep and in IMO the rims are not that nice looking. The wheels are the Pirelli scorpion winter wheels which have mixed reviews. I think most ppl on the forums seem to prefer the Nokian hakka R2s or the Contis for tires and just get an aftermarket rim to slap them on. If you order through a tire shop, many times they will offer to swap your tires for you during the winter months at no expense. The unfortunate part is you usually have to store and transport to and from the shop, but i think worth it.

M0J0 02-28-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by gassermd (Post 25117575)
Most Audi dealerships in cold weather climates offer a winter wheel pkg and will store your tires. It is 3K though, which seems pretty steep and in IMO the rims are not that nice looking. The wheels are the Pirelli scorpion winter wheels which have mixed reviews. I think most ppl on the forums seem to prefer the Nokian hakka R2s or the Contis for tires and just get an aftermarket rim to slap them on. If you order through a tire shop, many times they will offer to swap your tires for you during the winter months at no expense. The unfortunate part is you usually have to store and transport to and from the shop, but i think worth it.

Good info, It is something to think about. I have limited storage in my garage. It gets tight with mountain bikes, skis, and other toys. I need to see if I have room to mount a rack near the ceiling. I will do some measurements when I go up in June for an inspection.

M0J0 03-02-2018 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7 (Post 25117572)
To each his own, but you asked for our opinion...sooo.... I cannot imagine ever getting a car without some sort of DAP after having mine since Sept. I us the adaptive cruise much more than I would have expected - both in the city and on the highway. It makes for more relaxing trips and helps me also keep from speeding too much. I go back and forth between setting lane assist on Early for long drives and Late most of the time. Pretty sure you can turn it off if you don't like it. Finally, even though I consider myself an attentive driver, I've had presense save my bacon once when it seemed to react to a car that was 2 cars ahead of me. That car pulled a bonehead move, but it was blocked from my view by the car between it and me. The car directly in front of me pulled an evasive maneuver, and voila - surprise! I would have been able to avoid an accident, but presense kicked in sooner than I could have reacted and made it much easier to avoid the idiot, and therefore also made it less likely that I would in turn be hit by the car behind me because my maneuver would have been more extreme.
Anyway, I also think it could be helpful for resale. I chose DAP easily for B&O, but I'm not an audiophile. Sometimes I wish I had the luxury package for the seats, but I had to limit my budget at a certain point. DAP far outweighs both B&O and luxury in my mind. If you can afford it, I say you should add it!

Passionate defense, I will consider DAP and try it on a test drive. I am no audiophile, but I love a good stereo in a car.

Brimstone 03-02-2018 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by M0J0 (Post 25117560)
The sole thing I would want is the adaptive cruise with traffic assist. Jeez this would be handy with how bad I-70 traffic can get. I tend to drive fast for long distance trips. I won't use the adaptive cruise that much. The lane assist I find really annoying. I don't really have a need for presense front. I would rather put that $2400 towards the stereo. I did not check the night vision box either!

Its certainly your money and you can spend it how you want to, but I'd encourage you to grab a CD and a digital form (phone/sd card) and go to the dealership, listen to the bose for a few min. and then a B&O if you can. I believe the MMI downsamples the SD card even when using a lossless source (I saw a spec sheet somewhere on it) and it probably explains why I think the CD sounds better (and I'd rather it not, digital music is so much easier) (other possible explanation: better DAC in the cd player). Since the CD player is in the glove box and a PITA to access, using it is not very practical (not to mention there's scant storage space for discs).

Using a bad source will lower the ceiling of sound quality often well below that of a lesser stereo (IMO), I consider myself a bit of an audiophile but seeing as a multidisc changer is not an option (in the US at least, I even looked aftermarket with no success), I considered the BO for about 8 seconds and decided no way. If you want to pay for the upgrade just to listen to talk radio...by all means, I'm just trying to give you caution as to what you're paying for and why it may (or may not) be a good idea.

hitchens97 03-02-2018 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by M0J0 (Post 25117560)

I love it, but one thing to consider is when you might resell. This stuff is becoming more and more standard (heck Toyota are making it standard on all models). I suspect it may become standard on the Prestige soon, and by end of life of Mark 2 I expect it will be standard across the line. You don't want to be reselling the one that doesn't have it.