Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Road signs not showing up on HUD

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road signs not showing up on HUD

My '17 Q7 Prestige has the nifty HUD, which is supposed to display current speed, navigation instructions, and road signs, like speed limit. I have been driving it for 2 weeks and it has shown all of those things except road signs -- so far not a single sign has appeared there. I checked the settings menu for HUD content, and all of the boxes are checked. What gives?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by youngdoc
My '17 Q7 Prestige has the nifty HUD, which is supposed to display current speed, navigation instructions, and road signs, like speed limit. I have been driving it for 2 weeks and it has shown all of those things except road signs -- so far not a single sign has appeared there. I checked the settings menu for HUD content, and all of the boxes are checked. What gives?
Mine is showing all of the above ... Call your dealer?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

In the Virtual Cockpit, on the data tab, scroll down to Traffic Signs. Do they show up there? Do they show up in miniature on the lower right of the VC?

The answer to this will at least narrow down whether you have a HUD problem or an overall sign recognition problem before you take it to the dealer.

Make sure nothing is obscuring the camera top center of windshield. Maybe try resetting the MMI (push Nav and Radio buttons together then push down on center button while holding the other two).

My U.S. Q7 Prestige shows the speed limit signs in both places just fine.

Last edited by RickObe; 10-22-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
In the Virtual Cockpit, on the data tab, scroll down to Traffic Signs. Do they show up there? Do they show up in miniature on the lower right of the VC?

The answer to this will at least narrow down whether you have a HUD problem or an overall sign recognition problem before you take it to the dealer.

Make sure nothing is obscuring the camera top center of windshield. Maybe try resetting the MMI (push Nav and Radio buttons together then push down on center button while holding the other two).

My U.S. Q7 Prestige shows the speed limit signs in both places just fine.
I'm still new to the lingo, e.g. virtual cockpit, data tab, etc., but I can say that the only place I see road signs show up is on the lower right corner of the map when I'm displaying the map on the pop up display. Nothing is blocking the sensor at the top of the windshield as far as I can tell.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm still new to the lingo, e.g. virtual cockpit, data tab, etc., but I can say that the only place I see road signs show up is on the lower right corner of the map when I'm displaying the map on the pop up display. Nothing is blocking the sensor at the top of the windshield as far as I can tell.
First, let me ask what country you are in. Q7's in different markets may be set up differently. Below is for a US car.

Virtual Cockpit is you electronic dashboard containing the tach, speedometer and other info. The center portion of the VC has tabs for data, nav, telephone, audio and other tabs that can pop up temporarily. You switch between tabs using the left/right arrow buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The label of the data tab is range remaining in the gas tank.

When viewing the data tab, you can use the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel to switch among the data pages: Date/time, short term memory, long term memory, etc. If you scroll all the way to the end, you will see Traffic Signs. It will either show the traffic sign being read or something like "no traffic sign info available".

If the sign info is not showing there, then it's not working at all. If it is showing there, but not in the HUD, then you have a HUD display problem.

I'm not sure if the info displayed in the MMI's center screen is from the camera or if it's from the nav database. I've never really noticed. One way to be sure you are seeing sign recognition and not database info is to drive (slowly) by a clear and well lit school zone speed limit sign. You should see that pop up in the VC right as you pass it.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
First, let me ask what country you are in. Q7's in different markets may be set up differently. Below is for a US car.

Virtual Cockpit is you electronic dashboard containing the tach, speedometer and other info. The center portion of the VC has tabs for data, nav, telephone, audio and other tabs that can pop up temporarily. You switch between tabs using the left/right arrow buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The label of the data tab is range remaining in the gas tank.

When viewing the data tab, you can use the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel to switch among the data pages: Date/time, short term memory, long term memory, etc. If you scroll all the way to the end, you will see Traffic Signs. It will either show the traffic sign being read or something like "no traffic sign info available".

If the sign info is not showing there, then it's not working at all. If it is showing there, but not in the HUD, then you have a HUD display problem.

I'm not sure if the info displayed in the MMI's center screen is from the camera or if it's from the nav database. I've never really noticed. One way to be sure you are seeing sign recognition and not database info is to drive (slowly) by a clear and well lit school zone speed limit sign. You should see that pop up in the VC right as you pass it.
Thanks for that, that was very informative. I knew all the machinations (scrolling and changing tabs), I just didn't know what anything was called, probably because I have just learned organically, rather than reading the manual.

I am indeed in the U.S. and I can confirm that regardless of what I drive past, the last data screen consistently reads, "no traffic sign info available," so it sounds like it is not working at all, as you suggested.

Does the car pick up traffic signs with the front camera (on the grill)? Or some other way? My front camera is working fine as far as visualization when parking.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The camera in the windshield picks up traffic recognition. Does your prestige have the driver assistance package? In the US, that package gives you the traffic sign recognition.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you manually turn it on via VAG-COM?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LeicaNut
The camera in the windshield picks up traffic recognition. Does your prestige have the driver assistance package? In the US, that package gives you the traffic sign recognition.
That's a good point. You can have the prestige package but if you don't have the driver assistance package (adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist) there would not be traffic sign recognition since that is only included in the driver assistance package.