AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Google Maps (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/google-maps-2951499/)

Laters 06-14-2018 04:02 PM

Google Maps

Is there a way to keep google maps on my Q7 with just the ATT unlimited sim card in it? That is all I use and, I feel like paying $199 for 6 months is extortion if I'm paying ATT another $20 a month to feed it! I've been having to drive the truck more in the last 4 months and this car has only had 1000 miles put on it in that time.

Brimstone 06-15-2018 05:15 AM

I think andriod auto (and soon) carplay are the answer.

If you have ATT you can get data in the car w/o paying for audi connect but you can't get any of the features just data on your car's wifi

jeffrey r 06-15-2018 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laters (Post 25166522)
Is there a way to keep google maps on my Q7

Sorry to parse words, but do you actually have "google maps" on your Q7, or are you referring to the "google earth" overlay in the virtual cockpit? I can use google maps on my SQ5 through Android Auto (and soon Apple Carplay), but my Audi Nav is not actually google maps, although I do have the google earth overlay in my virtual cockpit. Genuinely asking, as I am not aware if the Q7 has a different Nav system than the Q5/SQ5.

RickObe 06-15-2018 06:00 AM

The Q7 has HERE maps, formerly Navteq. Then the Google Earth is overlaid. Traffic is provided by Inrix. Voice waypoint search is provided by Google. If you don't subscribe to the Audi Connect PRIME, you lose all of it except the HERE maps (basic nav). Hooking up to your ATT wireless plan provides in car wifi, but not any of the above.

Laters 06-16-2018 02:46 AM

I have unlimited ATT. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to keep the virtual cockpit without having to pay the ridiculus $499 fee. That's the only thing I use from that service. The all or none is what gets me riled up. My Q7 is basically a second vehicle that sits for long periods. I like the system Dodge has better, you pay for it when you want to use it.

BigKutta 06-16-2018 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Laters (Post 25167073)
I have unlimited ATT. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to keep the virtual cockpit without having to pay the ridiculus $499 fee. That's the only thing I use from that service. The all or none is what gets me riled up. My Q7 is basically a second vehicle that sits for long periods. I like the system Dodge has better, you pay for it when you want to use it.

Unfortunately, we are stuck without it unless we overpay.

Rals 07-26-2018 10:14 AM

$500 is extortion, i have no idea how anyone would want to pay for that service. We use Google maps / Waze and because I have an Iphone for work - Carplay. The problem is that even if it is free, the traffic routing can be horrendously bad. Waze and Google maps (using Google data) is far more useful. So yeah you don't get the Google overlay in the VC, but at least you have a better way of getting to your destination. Don't even get me started with Acuralink - that is by far the worst.

Maybe I'm glad I don't have VC , to spend $500 a year is ludicrous. I just wish GUI was better on the standard map. Regardless, Apple will launch Waze, and Google maps in Carplay...so pound sand Audi.

mattwhit 07-26-2018 10:46 AM

If you're using Android Auto, you can use Google Maps, Waze and now Google Maps supports satellite view.. Very close to the Google Earth view without the highlighted roads and only on the center pop-up screen...

timshuwy 07-26-2018 12:07 PM

the "Here" mapping is really out of date.. there are numerous roads in my area (San Clemente, CA) that have been open for well over 2 years that still do not show on my 2018 car. Waze and Google had them the day after the road was opened.
IMHO, storing a map in the onboard computer is the wrong way to do anything. Waze (free software) had the best idea with user maintained mapping and user maintained traffic alerts. if you already have a data-plan on your phone, then you can get Waze.

(Side note: Waze actually works "too good" and has had some issues diverting people through neighborhoods when traffic in LA is really bad, turning some residential neighborhoods into freeways.)

jeffrey r 07-27-2018 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mattwhit (Post 25185984)
If you're using Android Auto, you can use Google Maps, Waze and now Google Maps supports satellite view.. Very close to the Google Earth view without the highlighted roads and only on the center pop-up screen...

Yes, I just used Android Auto extensively on a road trip, and I enabled satellite view in Google Maps. Worked perfectly on my center screen (SQ5). And don't forget to up the Android Auto screen resolution in the developer settings to 720p/1080p. Makes a noticeable difference in the display quality.