Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Got an astronomical lease quote; is this right?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
6. If you are definitely getting another Audi after this one, get a lower mileage lease - HIGH chance you won't pay for over-mileage if you sell your Q7 back to the dealer at the least end (don't turn it in, make sure they "buy" it.).
That is HORRIBLE advice. A dealer is never obligated to buy your car, and there is no reason to think they will. The vast majority of cars will go to auction at lease and, and you WILL pay the overage fee for milage. If your dealer "pays" for your overage miles, that is special code for "you simply got less discount on the new car". That's just simple math...miles are never "forgiven", someone always pays for them, and it's you in one form or another. You are obligated to do so when you signed the lease.

Yes, some dealers buy cars off lease...generally the super-low mileage cars...which is certainly not the scenario suggested here. And if your dealer "takes care of the mileage overage" 99% of you still payed for it with a higher price on your new purchase/lease.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I gotta tell ya.....a Q7 isn't worth $1,200/month. That's just silly when compared to the cost to lease alternatives.
It totally depends on WHAT Q7 you are talking about.

I certainly wouldn't pay $1,200/month on a LEASE for one with a $74K sticker. That, I agree on.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is HORRIBLE advice. A dealer is never obligated to buy your car, and there is no reason to think they will. The vast majority of cars will go to auction at lease and, and you WILL pay the overage fee for milage. If your dealer "pays" for your overage miles, that is special code for "you simply got less discount on the new car". That's just simple math...miles are never "forgiven", someone always pays for them, and it's you in one form or another. You are obligated to do so when you signed the lease.

Yes, some dealers buy cars off lease...generally the super-low mileage cars...which is certainly not the scenario suggested here. And if your dealer "takes care of the mileage overage" 99% of you still payed for it with a higher price on your new purchase/lease.
I don't agree with your entire statement and don't agree that that is terrible advice, but you have convinced me to modify my post.

15 Audis (mostly at MY dealership yes) and I've paid $0 over-mileage fees. Number of those leases that I was over-mileage? All of them. Anecdotal, I know - but still 15 cars is a pretty solid sampling.

Lastly I believe I got good deals on my cars - maybe my volume at the dealership creates an outlier in this argument,

Last edited by arU4ic; 01-30-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Lastly I believe I got good deals on my cars - maybe my volume at the dealership creates an outlier in this argument,
I worked in the luxury auto industry for many years, so I say on good authority that your "good deal" could have been better with a larger discount, but some money went to covering your mileage overage. You paid for it, either way, 100% of the time. There is no magical waving of a mileage fee, and I was just trying to make sure potential readers of this thread understand that. Audi gets there money 100% of the time. However your dealer wants to "manipulate" the numbers is up to them, but they didn't pay for it out of the kindness of their heart. They do it because it creates the illusion of "good will" towards the customer. But the money is still owed and always paid in some fashion.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by peterish111
Got a lease quote of $1,200/month including tax, on a 2019 Q7 prestige with some options, MSRP $74,000, 36 months 12k miles/year, zero down.

I went in expecting something in the $800's based on reading the forums as well as the leasehackr calculator. Are they ripping me off or am I just way off here?
Get the whole breakdown, what is the selling price, what does "zero down" mean, in terms of what are dealer's charges/etc that's being built into the calculation.
Always work on the selling price and then calculate the monthly payment, making sure dealer is not marking up MF. I would not pay $1200/mo for $74k vehicle Q7, but getting $800's might be difficult as well, especially if you expect $0 down and 12k miles after tax.

We have few great forum members who are Audi dealers. @SYMAWD for example. PS: 2020 model will be a refresh.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 01-30-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I worked in the luxury auto industry for many years, so I say on good authority that your "good deal" could have been better with a larger discount, but some money went to covering your mileage overage. You paid for it, either way, 100% of the time. There is no magical waving of a mileage fee, and I was just trying to make sure potential readers of this thread understand that. Audi gets there money 100% of the time. However your dealer wants to "manipulate" the numbers is up to them, but they didn't pay for it out of the kindness of their heart. They do it because it creates the illusion of "good will" towards the customer. But the money is still owed and always paid in some fashion.
Sorry OP, feel like we're hijacking your thread.

This is a better explanation thanks for clarifying - but I know **I** didn't pay for the over-mileage - I know my numbers - my guess is that the used priced must be marked up to cover it - not sure how if they wholesale it out.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

OP - When I was leasing my Q7 over a year ago I found that the residual on a Prestige model was lower than a Prem Plus which of course would make your payment higher.. In addition, I assume your quote is through Audi Financial, if this is the case their rates and programs are horrible (at least they were), they rarely support their leases and their rates are high.

Have your dealer shop it to other lenders and you'll be surprised. For example, I went through U.S. Bank at the time and their rates were much better than AFS..
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that is a lot for a lease on $88K. I mean quite a lot. If you lease the same car back to back you would have paid more than the MSRP. It would have made more sense to finance it and sell it at the end of the 72 months and made some money off the sale.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To help everyone here a general rule of thumb for an attractive 36 mo lease with inceptions only is 1% of the purchase price before tax.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JT4
OP - When I was leasing my Q7 over a year ago I found that the residual on a Prestige model was lower than a Prem Plus which of course would make your payment higher.. In addition, I assume your quote is through Audi Financial, if this is the case their rates and programs are horrible (at least they were), they rarely support their leases and their rates are high.

Have your dealer shop it to other lenders and you'll be surprised. For example, I went through U.S. Bank at the time and their rates were much better than AFS..
+1 yep - P+ usually has the best numbers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got an astronomical lease quote; is this right?