Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Groaning/Moaning Noise when Turning Full Lock at Low Speeds

Hi All,

2017 Audi Q7 here. 30K miles.
Love her to death.

Noticed in the past few months, when turning low speeds on steering full lock, there is groaning/moaning with slight vibrations.
Never heard nor felt it before.

Anyone know what's the deal?
I've taken it once to the dealer and they say normal. But I only started to see it at 27,000 miles or so.
Also just replace the tires and still no change.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have this only in rainy weather and when I am getting in and out of my garage at full lock. It's more like grinding/rubbing noise rather than moaning.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I have this only in rainy weather and when I am getting in and out of my garage at full lock. It's more like grinding/rubbing noise rather than moaning.
I had the same thing happen the other day... was turning around in a neighborhood intersection, full lock.. heard a rubbing/grinding sound... it was wet out too... ~1200 miles on the ODO...
Old 09-11-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have this noise, only when it's wet, and only when I am making a sharp turn, moving slow forward or reverse, starts at 00:06

Old 09-12-2018, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a similar issue with my m3. Turned out to be the LSD. During sharp turns you could hear a rubbing sound. Problem went away when they put in a different type of diff oil.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Doucette (07-11-2020)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Malkiy
I had a similar issue with my m3. Turned out to be the LSD. During sharp turns you could hear a rubbing sound. Problem went away when they put in a different type of diff oil.
Yeah, LSD can really play tricks on you. Oh wait, I think you may be referring to Limited Slip Differential, ... never mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by gsobol:
Lmike6453 (12-26-2019), Matt Doucette (07-11-2020)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Malkiy
Thanks for input. It happened on you BMW M3 ?

I'm just a little sad, my car used to be so smooth and dead quiet, but now I hear this rather annoying groan when turning full lock and low speeds =(

Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by diffuser
Thanks for input. It happened on you BMW M3 ?

I'm just a little sad, my car used to be so smooth and dead quiet, but now I hear this rather annoying groan when turning full lock and low speeds =(
Yes, BMW M3 bought new. Didn't notice it during the summer but soon as it got cold .... I thought my tires were rubbing against something in the wheel well. A TSB fixed the problem with a different formulation of diff fluid.

I'm guessing Audi may put out a fix if enough people complain.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Sure yours isn't just the tires rubbing on the floor? Does it make that noise when you're not moving and just turning your wheels? Garages that have smooth or epoxy floors will make that noise with the tires.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nhatman
Sure yours isn't just the tires rubbing on the floor? Does it make that noise when you're not moving and just turning your wheels? Garages that have smooth or epoxy floors will make that noise with the tires.
No, this is happening outside my garage as well, and I don't have epoxy on my floor inside or outside the garage. I know the sound you are talking about, this is not the tires-on-floor sound although video might make it sound like that.

Quick Reply: Groaning/Moaning Noise when Turning Full Lock at Low Speeds