Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Hatch Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hatch Rattle

All - I just took delivery of my 2019 Prestige and I couldn't be happier with it - save for the rattle coming from the rear.

I have noticed that there seems to be a rattling noise generated by the passenger side of the rear hatch. Like there is a disconnected wiring / plug that is flopping around on rough roads.

Has anyone had a similar experience? My wife also has a 2018 Prestige and we have not experienced anything similar in hers.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you inspected the hatch sun shade? I usually forget its there, but if its not tucked away properly, it could be rattling...
Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Have you inspected the hatch sun shade? I usually forget its there, but if its not tucked away properly, it could be rattling...
Hi Big Kutta. Thanks for the quick response - I really appreciate it.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I checked to make sure it was seated correctly when down (retracted) and also drove the car with it extended. Neither position seemed to make a difference - unfortunately...
Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I assume you've also looked under the trunk floor to make sure nothing is loose over there. One area where I always have issues is the second row seat belt. If not tucked away properly after use, it tends to get stuck between the second row and the C pillar, and rattle/knock. This occurs on both sides and sometimes I have to stop the car and fix it.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a similar issue... rattle (from the hatch area) whenever the vehicle was torqued over uneven rough roads... While in for service they checked it, couldn't duplicate but did find a TSB related to the concern.. "Found the BUMP STOPS in rear of vehicle needed to be re secured" I haven't heard the rattle since I got it back from service (about two weeks ago).. maybe the same issue? Easy one to check on your own...
Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi BigKutta - thanks again. Yeah - I made sure everything under the trunk floor was secure and also checked the seat belts for 2nd and 3rd row to make sure they weren't swinging around and banging anything. It is definitely something in the rear hatch area. I actually sat in the back while my wife drove to try to narrow down the possibilities, and it is definitely coming from the rear hatch or adjacent underneath...
Old 01-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks mattwhit! I am having trouble finding that TSB. Do you have a link per chance?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattledog1
Thanks mattwhit! I am having trouble finding that TSB. Do you have a link per chance?
They didn't provide any specifics just referred to a "related TSB"... Make sure both of the bump stops on the hatch are tightly seated, then I'd make sure they're adjusted properly (check the gaps and check for any play when the tailgate is closed)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we just had a rattle on the ruff roads that ended up being the head liner????? I know I though the same thing. they called Audi USA and they recommended adding some felt and now it seems ok. but its only been a couple of days.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All - it took the dealership five days to figure it out, but apparently the rattle was due to an insulation issue between the body and the rear tail light module. The shop foreman contacted Audi and they had a "prepared" response for him on how to remedy the situation - so I am guessing I am not the first person to deal with this. Result! All is good now. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Hatch Rattle