Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Heat transfer from windshield. Windshield only

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Heat transfer from windshield. Windshield only

Was out today in a mostly cloudy day but just warm enough to turn on the AC.
Came out of a tunnel and the sun was shinning at a mid-afternoon angle ( Boston , MA ) . I was amazed at the heat radiation . I've never, never experienced this in any other car I've owned. Even with the AC on. I extended my hand out towards the windshield and it was as if the windshield was a magnifying glass. You could feel the difference ( heat). By the way the exterior temp was 60 degrees.

So I am asking for a windshield tint that will reduce this heat radiation. I've read other sites that touch upon this but am asking for windshield only tinting. When parked I'll search for a portable cover but really do need some direction on the front windshield.

Am concerned on dimming the overhead display and don't want to reduce the view like tint does. Guess I'm looking for ceramic coating experiences or other solutions.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Llumar Air Blue 80 is a good choice... so is 3M Crystaline 90. I have the Llumar and no major affect on HUD. Works great for heat reduction and virtually no shade darker, practically clear.

The only issue with windshield tints are the rainbows seen with polarized glasses. It's ok for some people, drives others nuts. Oh, and that it's illegal in some states.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, like the other guy said, you need ceramic tinting.
My guy used Global. 70 percent clear tint. Only problem is there are spots that are like "waves" or "wrinkle" when you stare at them. I think it's caused when the film is shrinking? not sure if they will go away. 95% I don't see it, but when I do, I get fixated on it/them since they are right in front of my field of vision. wasn't a problem on my other car. Can't see the wrinkle/waviness at night.

but like the other guy says you won't feel the heat afterwards. Steering wheel stays cool too.

I have the clear 70 on the windsheild, all around the car, sunroof. Except driver passenger windows are 33 tint.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in Florida I havnt experienced that issue.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Almost all (or all) of the waves should go away after the first few days while the water used to install the tint is evaporating. Leaving it cooking in the sun helps to cure and smooth everything out.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Xpel's ceramic tint (Prime XR 70% I think) with no waves/distortion on my front windshield...

You would barely notice it but it darkens the car up a ton and it stays incredibly cool.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, interesting observation, I felt the same effect in my A6. I was also surprised that my Audi is the only car that I have ever bought that did not have the fade sun shield built into the top edge of the windshield so I added one.
There must be something different in Audi glass reflectivity?
Old 05-13-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Makes me wonder if the laminate on the glass has a magnification effect.

...on a side note, anyone notice double vision in oncoming headlights? I see a headlight, then another just below, until it gets closer. Then they match up. Same for some streetlights.

I wonder if this layered glass has a couple of impacts on experience.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you posted this because my wife and I thought we were imagining it. We're in SoCal and it wasn't a particularly hot day but it was a sunny day. And our faces felt like they were getting some serious UV reflecting off of the dash or somewhere. It was very noticeable and uncomfortable.

Windshields are laminated for safety so the plastic should be blocking most of the UV but it sure didn't feel like it.

I wonder if it's reflecting off of the hood? What color car is yours? Ours is white. Maybe people with darker colors don't have this problem?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up our 2017 Q7 yesterday and immediately drove it 600miles home on a bright sunny day in the mid 80s. A couple of hours in I realized I was getting a little bit of a sun burn - I've never noticed this in my other cars. That said, I do usually tint the front side windows so I was assuming that was the difference. The windshield does make sense.

Quick Reply: Heat transfer from windshield. Windshield only