Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Heated Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 18 feels just fine to me , not as hot compared to my F15 X5 . the X5 is probably too hot so that I have to turn it off after a few minutes.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
My E60 was pretty damn hot too after being left on for more than 30 mins. The Q7 seems to be more evenly distributed and just a constant warmth that gets to "medium" power, at best. But it gets the job done.
Originally Posted by Doc H
X5 steering wheel used to get way too toasty in random spots. Q7 is much more even and effective for me. Just wish there was a cockpit icon showing it was on, but you do get a pop up window briefly.
Hey, you drove with X5 with no indicator at all, or a light that you had to crane your neck to check if it was on or not... I hated that thing, there was no message on dash or iDrive that heated steering was on, it had a physical light at the side toward bottom of steering column. Funny thing is that this was sort of exclusive to X5, "no message or indicator on dash", other lines and older models had a brief message on dash, for some reason x5 go the crippled one, must have saved X5 coders few lines of code...

People said "why do you need indicator, you'll know it's on when it gets hot" but the problem was it used to take few minutes for it to get hot, and by the time you realized it wasn't on, it was hassle to wait for it to heat up.

X5 had hot spots, and they were a lot hotter than Q7s steering wheel, but it was uneven, I didn't really like it. When you moved your hand from one spot to another, it would feel really weird, and lose the super hotness once you touch it.

Originally Posted by katzjamr
people are increasing the heat level with a new obd eleven setting.
While I wish it was hotter, there is no way I would adjust something like this using OBD11. It can go wrong very easily.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Hey, you drove with X5 with no indicator at all, or a light that you had to crane your neck to check if it was on or not... I hated that thing, there was no message on dash or iDrive that heated steering was on, it had a physical light at the side toward bottom of steering column. Funny thing is that this was sort of exclusive to X5, "no message or indicator on dash", other lines and older models had a brief message on dash, for some reason x5 go the crippled one, must have saved X5 coders few lines of code...
I had a X1 loaner a few weeks ago, brand new car 2019....and it had the switch for the heated wheel on the steering column where it couldn't be seen, and there was no indicator it was on. So weird. I experienced exactly what you said
Old 01-11-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Not sure why they wouldn't fix a clear warranty issue
What dealer EVER stands behind a product under warranty. If I hear one more time "it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle," I'm going to come out shooting.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I had a X1 loaner a few weeks ago, brand new car 2019....and it had the switch for the heated wheel on the steering column where it couldn't be seen, and there was no indicator it was on. So weird. I experienced exactly what you said
My first Q7 had the switch on the back of a steering wheel spoke, and no light. If you didn't read the manual you would never know where the switch was.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre

People said "why do you need indicator, you'll know it's on when it gets hot" but the problem was it used to take few minutes for it to get hot, and by the time you realized it wasn't on, it was hassle to wait for it to heat up.

X5 had hot spots, and they were a lot hotter than Q7s steering wheel, but it was uneven, I didn't really like it. When you moved your hand from one spot to another, it would feel really weird, and lose the super hotness once you touch it.

While I wish it was hotter, there is no way I would adjust something like this using OBD11. It can go wrong very easily.
This. I love that the Q7 seems to heat, gradually, to just the correct temperature whether you start out warm, cold or really cold. The X5 was "off" or "on," all ahead full. I don't need my steering wheel to heat the car.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by charliehereforyou
All. Mine is not even lukewarm. Took it to the dealer and he could not fix it. He did not even say it feels warm to him. He could not. It is almost cold. When you touch the switch it shows on and then touch again shows off. No difference in the heated surfaces. He admits that some work better than others. I have arthritis in my hands/fingers and had it on my old car and need it. It is still under warranty. What are my proper steps? I will start by calling the service manager tomorrow and ask him why it was not fixed while under warranty. I will then follow up with a certified letter/return receipt to him and copy Audi USA?

I will consider taking it to another dealer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Charlie
The feel of heat can be subjective. I think I'd get an inexpensive probe thermometer and tape it to the steering wheel with ace bandage or rescue tape. Put it in a location that is supposed to get warm, like the 4-5 o'clock position. Set up a camera that shows the thermometer and the dash at the same time (so you can see the "on" indication pop up on the dash). Then take a video that proves it's not warming up. Even better, do the same on another Q7 that works properly. That will take the subjectivity out of the equation.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2017 Q7. The heat from the steering wheel was great and hot from the beginning. After the last software update at the dealership around December 2018, the steering wheel gets only warm, lukewarm...The difference was quite noticeable.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
The feel of heat can be subjective. I think I'd get an inexpensive probe thermometer and tape it to the steering wheel with ace bandage or rescue tape. Put it in a location that is supposed to get warm, like the 4-5 o'clock position. Set up a camera that shows the thermometer and the dash at the same time (so you can see the "on" indication pop up on the dash). Then take a video that proves it's not warming up. Even better, do the same on another Q7 that works properly. That will take the subjectivity out of the equation.
An IR thermometer might be easier (like
this this
). Overall, I love my heated steering wheel and haven't had an issue with the heat level either before or after my software update from 1178->1316. The only inconsistency is that the bulges at 10 and 2 don't get as warm as the rest of the wheel.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

For what it’s worth the heated wheel in my Q7 is about the same as in my other cars.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel