Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

HELP - Frequent Side Assist and Presense Inoperative Warnings - 2017 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts
Default HELP - Tow Hook Plate Mount - Frequent Side Assist and Presense Warnings - 2017 Q7

I have a 2017 Q7 with all the adaptive driving goodies. Been getting increasingly frequent warnings telling me side assist and presense is not available due to surroundings and a possible sensors being blocked.
I had a 2014 A8L and never had such issues except going into a tunnel where the top camera lost its depth perception.

I am wondering if anyone has had similar warning messages. The rear cross traffic alert and exit assist also gets disabled when I am getting these messages.
I have a front mount plate installed in the tow hook, and wondering if that might be blocking the front passenger radar sensor... anyone with the same platypus mount?
Circumstances are as follows.

Mainly on two lane country roads or multi-lane highway.
Almost always above 40 mph.
First warning is side assist is unavailable.
Next warning is audi presense is not active.
Car figures it out after 2-5 minutes of driving and side assist lights come back on and everything is active.
Restarting the car sometimes helps, although not always. My latest longer mileage trip it would freak out every five minutes or so...

And recently I have had the loud warning tone and "AUDI PRESENSE" come up on the main gauge cluster with little traffic in front of me and no close calls whatsoever. No automatic braking though.

Please note the lane keep assist and the radar adaptive cruise control works perfectly fine during all of these warning messages...
I am hoping this is a calibration issue or a software update bug.
The car is going in for service this coming Monday and they will have it for a week, so I am looking forward to putting this to bed.
Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.
Thanks!

Last edited by mhoran89; 02-20-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I saw another thread describing similar issues but that was nearly a year ago. I did not want to bring that thread back from the dead...
No one else has seen issues like this?
Old 02-19-2019, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm assuming your car is clean, and not coated with dirt or ice? Otherwise, it could be the plate and you should remove it to see if the problem goes away. if it still persists then you've got to take it in.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I'm assuming your car is clean, and not coated with dirt or ice? Otherwise, it could be the plate and you should remove it to see if the problem goes away. if it still persists then you've got to take it in.
Car was giving me errors clean or dirty.
I am emailing the manufacturer of the plate mount and after sending them a picture (just minutes ago) they seem to think it may be the plate.
They are willing to work with me to make modifications to the product to get it right for folks with DAP and the ultrasonic parking sensors... so stand by!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Car was giving me errors clean or dirty.
I am emailing the manufacturer of the plate mount and after sending them a picture (just minutes ago) they seem to think it may be the plate.
They are willing to work with me to make modifications to the product to get it right for folks with DAP and the ultrasonic parking sensors... so stand by!
Remove the plate for a couple of days and then try. You'll answer your own question
Old 02-19-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Remove the plate for a couple of days and then try. You'll answer your own question
Problem is MA sucks and I bet I will get a ticket w/o the front plate.
I will keep folks updated.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just put it in the front window for a day or two.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Problem is MA sucks and I bet I will get a ticket w/o the front plate.
I will keep folks updated.
The only way to check is to remove the plate. I have friends who dont have the front plate on at all times. They place it under the front windshield when they leave their cars. I think you'll be ok
Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I took it off and no errors yet, but the real test will be ski trips this weekend with multiple hours in the car.
Cravenspeed, the MFG of the platypus plate mount has new parts for me to test fit in the mail. They came in clutch!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I also updated the thread title to better reflect issues I am experiencing.

Quick Reply: HELP - Frequent Side Assist and Presense Inoperative Warnings - 2017 Q7