Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

HELP - Frequent Side Assist and Presense Inoperative Warnings - 2017 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Removed the tow hook plate mount yesterday morning. Got three errors this morning on my way to work.
So I have pretty much ruled out the plate mount.
Car is going to dealer on Monday... stay tuned.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dropped the car off this morning at the dealer.
They noticed the VIN plate was scratched, which is a sign of a new windshield.
They are thinking off the bat it could be related to camera alignment due to the windshield being replaced.
They are going to keep me in the loop but the car could require camera, radar sensor, and 4 wheel alignment to get it all squared away.

On a side note. Anyone who is trying to work the hands free tailgate feature (stick foot under rear bumper) with the tow package should listen up. Apparently they mounted my sensor to the left of the hitch so you don't destroy your shins. I was trying to kick dead center and having very little luck. Just an interesting insider tip for anyone with the tow package who tries to use the kick-to-open tailgate feature...
Old 02-25-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Dropped the car off this morning at the dealer.
They noticed the VIN plate was scratched, which is a sign of a new windshield.
They are thinking off the bat it could be related to camera alignment due to the windshield being replaced.
They are going to keep me in the loop but the car could require camera, radar sensor, and 4 wheel alignment to get it all squared away.

On a side note. Anyone who is trying to work the hands free tailgate feature (stick foot under rear bumper) with the tow package should listen up. Apparently they mounted my sensor to the left of the hitch so you don't destroy your shins. I was trying to kick dead center and having very little luck. Just an interesting insider tip for anyone with the tow package who tries to use the kick-to-open tailgate feature...

Heres a little side note to the tailgate issue. It’s all in the step back. I have the trailer hitch and it doesn’t matter left center or right. You put your foot under the bumper and then take a step back. Works every time. But if you just kick and stand there nothing will happen.

It it may be a safety thing. To not have the large smooth tailgate slowly push you away. Unlike the close button that activates instantly forcing the blunt coroners of the tailgate speeding down into the back of your head. Lol
Old 02-25-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
Heres a little side note to the tailgate issue. It’s all in the step back. I have the trailer hitch and it doesn’t matter left center or right. You put your foot under the bumper and then take a step back. Works every time. But if you just kick and stand there nothing will happen.

It it may be a safety thing. To not have the large smooth tailgate slowly push you away. Unlike the close button that activates instantly forcing the blunt coroners of the tailgate speeding down into the back of your head. Lol
True, the service adviser mentioned that. It is to prevent the door hitting you. You must make the motion and then get out of the way, and be patient.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

If it's related to the windshield replacement, they should be able to fix with camera alignment - no need for 4 wheel alignment.... the camera alignment is already expensive enough! As an aside: did you buy the car used? It sounds like you are unsure as to whether the windshield had indeed been replaced somewhere along the way.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to get alot of errors saying that side assist was not available while driving on the highway, but it hasn't been happening as frequently. I don't know if the dealer has done any software updates during service or if it was just a random gremlin.

Presense kicks in sometimes for no apparent reason. This week I was backing out of my driveway and the Q7 stopped suddenly right as I was about to hit the street. There was no car or anything else in sight! Same thing when I was backing into a parking spot the other day, but there was a normal size cement "tree box" curb several feet behind me that it could have assumed I might hit based on my speed? If I'm making a left turn in traffic waiting for oncoming traffic to clear and start to let the car roll knowing I will be accelerating when the next car passes, presense often kicks in and stops the Q7 abruptly thinking I'm going to pull out and hit the oncoming car.

Last edited by Blake P; 03-01-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If the windshield has been replaced, and they didnt do a camera realignment, that is absolutely the cause.

I had my windshield replaced, and the camera alignment was done 100% under insurance (full glass coverage).

Sounds like whoever did the windshield either didnt realize, or didnt care.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bkafrick
If the windshield has been replaced, and they didnt do a camera realignment, that is absolutely the cause.

I had my windshield replaced, and the camera alignment was done 100% under insurance (full glass coverage).

Sounds like whoever did the windshield either didnt realize, or didnt care.
Sucks for me but an alignment doesn't hurt considering the car has 40K and I just put new tires on it...
Old 03-06-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just picked the car back up last night. No errors so far but only 75 miles or so since.
I will keep everyone updated. If I do not get any errors by the weekend I am planning to reintroduce the front tow hook license plate mount and see what happens...
Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

What exactly was the fix?

Quick Reply: HELP - Frequent Side Assist and Presense Inoperative Warnings - 2017 Q7