Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Help me understand the relationship between Dynamic drive and Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me understand the relationship between Dynamic drive and Sport mode

So, if I select Dynamic Drive, Sport mode is selected automatically. But, that disables Auto on/off. And if I restart the vehicle, normal D mode defaults, even though I've selected Dynamic drive.

This makes no logical sense to me. Can someone explain what's going on? What is the relationship between the two? The manual is useless.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

All Audi's with Drive Select defaults back to Auto mode upon engine restart.

It's a pain but I've learned that the first thing I do after starting the car is switch to Dynamic Mode.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It is a bit confusing, but it started to make sense to me after a little while. The transmission mode can be controlled independent of the Drive Select mode. For the transmission and engine Sport = Dynamic. They are one and the same, but by using the D/S toggle you can take the transmission between Auto and Dynamic w/o changing Drive Select. So for example you can be in Dynamic and then take the transmission out of S. Everything else stays in Dynamic, but the transmission/engine is now in Auto mode. Similarly, you can drive around in say Comfort mode and then put the transmission in S, in this case everything stays in Comfort mode, but the transmission/engine are now in Dynamic mode.

In order to let the powertrain warm up before getting on it and for fuel economy, the transmission always reverts back to Auto mode (D) when restarting the car, but everything else (steering etc.) stays in the last selected Drive Select mode.

Prior to 2012/2013 the entire Drive Select mode always went back to Auto, but with models and redesigns around 2012/13 they changed it to only revert the transmission back to Auto mode.

Audi is starting to take this a step further and is giving more and more direct control over the mode for certain components. For example in the new R8 you can put the exhaust into Dynamic with a separate button w/o having to change the entire Drive Select mode. It basically gives you more fine grained control over some of the subsystems w/o always having to change the entire Drive Select mode.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-17-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

superswiss - thanks so very much. I assumed what you described. For my OCD mind (LOL) I've decided to create an Individual setting with: Engine/Transmssion in Auto; Steering in Dynamic. That way, if I desire to set the Engine/Transmission in Sport mode, a simple pull on the drive selector is required, but the steering will always remain dynamic.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, same thing here. I have my Individual mode setup with the base settings for how I like things for daily driving. Always starting with the transmission in D until the car is properly warmed up and I'm on a road where I want to take over the shifting and/or drive sportier and then I just toggle between D/S automatic/manual based on the situation and my mood. Works very well, I rarely have a need to change Drive Select out of Individual. I use Comfort mode if I go on a road trip or a long highway journey and Dynamic mode for my canyon carving adventures, but 95% of the time I'm in Individual mode and just play with the transmission mode.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny you asked this, I've been wondering but hoping someone else would raise their hand ask ask first Thanks SuperSwiss..makes perfect sense...and I really like it. Would have NEVER figured that out by reading the manual !
Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With active suspension, wouldn't one want dynamic for the long highway driving, lowering the vehicle down, and then kick it up to comfort or allroad (not off road/lift) for city driving to handle potholes, etc.?

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yep, same thing here. I have my Individual mode setup with the base settings for how I like things for daily driving. Always starting with the transmission in D until the car is properly warmed up and I'm on a road where I want to take over the shifting and/or drive sportier and then I just toggle between D/S automatic/manual based on the situation and my mood. Works very well, I rarely have a need to change Drive Select out of Individual. I use Comfort mode if I go on a road trip or a long highway journey and Dynamic mode for my canyon carving adventures, but 95% of the time I'm in Individual mode and just play with the transmission mode.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Scaplan
With active suspension, wouldn't one want dynamic for the long highway driving, lowering the vehicle down, and then kick it up to comfort or allroad (not off road/lift) for city driving to handle potholes, etc.?
That all depends on your personal preference I would think. Per Audi, Comfort mode is suited for long highway driving, Auto for every day driving and Dynamic for sporty driving and you have the Individual mode to configure something in between that suits your personal needs/preferences and road situations.