Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Help! What's this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! What's this sound?

Hi, All.... I feel like my 2017 Q7 has a whammy on it lately.... Today, I started hearing this strange sound, mostly when braking. I was hearing it from the inside at first and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. From outside, it seems like it is coming from the driver side front wheel area. I attached a small 5 second video of what is happening. I cannot get to a garage for almost a week, so this is really going to bother me.

If you are willing to watch my attached video and provide any thoughts on what the issue may be, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3697.TRIM.MOV (2.83 MB, 160 views)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could help. Never that sound before. Could almost sound like a bad bushing. Definitely take her in. And even if you are to find out the sound you won’t be able to fix that yourself.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost sounds like something's going on w/the parking brake
Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Almost sounds like something's going on w/the parking brake
Interesting....for some reason, I was thinking the parking brake was only at the rear wheels (not sure why I thought that.) Thanks.....I would have never thought of this.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bjjones1
Interesting....for some reason, I was thinking the parking brake was only at the rear wheels (not sure why I thought that.) Thanks.....I would have never thought of this.
Parking brake is only on the rear wheels. That could be any number of brake/suspension components. In the video it looks like it does it when you apply the brakes or are you just applying the brakes after you hear the noise?

Last edited by Corgiman; 04-03-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
Parking brake is only on the rear wheels. That could be any number of brake/suspension components. In the video it looks like it does it when you apply the brakes or are you just applying the brakes after you hear the noise?
Yeah, the noise seems to occur when I apply the brakes. My wife reminded me that the problem started when we were at a traffic light that turned green.... I started to proceed through the green light when I noticed someone approaching their red light very fast. I hit the brakes abruptly to avoid being hit by the person who ended up running the red light, so maybe a jarred something loose. I never hear the noise during normal driving, even on bumpy services.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If anyone is interested..... the noise was from a loose brake pad. I was able to get it to the dealer today and they fixed it.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If anyone is interested..... the noise was from a loose brake pad. I was able to get it to the dealer today and they fixed it.
Glad it was something simple.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I spoke too soon!

Well, I spoke too soon..... I paid a hefty price thinking they fixed an issue with my brakes. I drove around at the dealership and didn't hear the noise. I then drove an hour home from the dealership and everything sounded great. I then went out for dinner, hit the brakes in a parking spot....noise returned!! I immediately put the vehicle in reverse, hit the brakes, and heard the same exact noise again. It doesn't seem as bad as before but it's still pretty loud. I'm so frustrated! I have an appoint on April 12th to try again.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,159 Likes on 907 Posts

Well, I spoke too soon..... I paid a hefty price thinking they fixed an issue with my brakes. I drove around at the dealership and didn't hear the noise. I then drove an hour home from the dealership and everything sounded great. I then went out for dinner, hit the brakes in a parking spot....noise returned!! I immediately put the vehicle in reverse, hit the brakes, and heard the same exact noise again. It doesn't seem as bad as before but it's still pretty loud. I'm so frustrated! I have an appoint on April 12th to try again.
I have done brakes on a few cars before... and Audi uses some clever spring clips on some models to help "spring" the pad back into place when getting off the brakes.
Perhaps a clip was left out or they somehow put in something incorrectly... keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Help! What's this sound?