Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Here Is How I Am Wireless Charging In My Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Here Is How I Am Wireless Charging In My Q7

I am using the “Magqi Wireless Power Bank” as my solution to wireless charging of my Samsung S8 in a Spigen case in my 2018 Q7. I can place it either on top of the sliding door over the power outlet just in front of the dash:

"First Photo"

Or place it in the tray just in front of the armrest:

"Second Photo"

The phone is held in place on the charger/power bank by magnets within the charger. There is "plate" that comes with the charger that I can place inside the case on the phone to make it stick even stronger to the charger, but there is enough metal in the phone that I don't need the "plate".

Here is a link to the Magqi:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KWR1PN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KWR1PN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Third Photo"
Attached Thumbnails Here Is How I Am Wireless Charging In My Q7-p1010379.jpg   Here Is How I Am Wireless Charging In My Q7-p1010380.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I need something like this because I hate it how Android Auto takes over immediately when all you want to do is charge your phone.
I started carrying portable external battery for this purpose only. It's a hassle, but we have no choice.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I need something like this because I hate it how Android Auto takes over immediately when all you want to do is charge your phone.
I started carrying portable external battery for this purpose only. It's a hassle, but we have no choice.

You can just use the cigarette lighter in the front dash, can't you?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by smacky
You can just use the cigarette lighter in the front dash, can't you?
I suppose I can, but that would mean carrying one more crap in already limited storage space we have in Q7.
There are low profile ones that can replace the lighter so I can still close them, but the ones I bought before all had issues after a short time, I had to go back to full sized ones and I am surprised Audi did not make one of the ports charge only and other Data+Charge on the console.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose I can, but that would mean carrying one more crap in already limited storage space we have in Q7.
There are low profile ones that can replace the lighter so I can still close them, but the ones I bought before all had issues after a short time, I had to go back to full sized ones and I am surprised Audi did not make one of the ports charge only and other Data+Charge on the console.
There are always DIY solutions out there

Make a USB Cable 'power Only': 6 Steps

OR something like this:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by mcdream; 03-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My iPhone X battery lasts all day and I still have like 50-60% left at the end of the day so mid day charging is not needed for me.

I do think that most new vehicles will have wireless charging built in one day.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the link OP, I was thinking about getting one of these..
Old 03-12-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mcdream
There are always DIY solutions out there

Make a USB Cable 'power Only': 6 Steps

OR something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Univ.../dp/B00FA9GXKM
Thanks for these!
Will try the tape-over trick, will also test to see if power-only modified USB cable will maintain the "your phone is still in the vehicle" reminder.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

For less than 8 bucks, this will let you connect your phone to the car for power without it connecting to the MMI:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 03-12-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I have found this low profile USB charger to be reliable. You can close the front cover with it in the socked (but not if something is plugged into it).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: Here Is How I Am Wireless Charging In My Q7