Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

hotspot tether phone's data to q7

Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hotspot tether phone's data to q7

Just wondering if you can hotspot tether your phone's current data to the q7 instead of REQUIRING a sim card.

Also will this function require audi connect to work?

I'm in Canada so audi connect is out of the window, but could this function able to give internet to the car and perhaps launch the google maps and online search?
Old 09-03-2016, 03:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading here back few months ago that somebody shared his setup of carrying phone with data plan in the back of the car and tethering WiFi hotspot configured through the car and certainly not just WiFi hotspot directly from the phone itself. I am pretty sure also reading that google maps only work via the Audi Connect and not via any sort of tethering.
Here is another interesting bit - I was just looking into one of the Q7 quotes from Canadian dealer and found this option which was not present before, so I think Audi Connect is coming to Canada very soon.

IW3 - Audi Connect - Assistance & Security Services $520
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Henry-

My car was purchased in Cananda and brought to US. I "think" in the MMI main menu, cars that have Audi Connect has a specific Audi connect icon? right guys? those who have it, take a pic and post to verify? Anyway, since Audi Connect runs in the US, I called Audi Experience and ask them if I could just take my car in and flash the US version of the firmware and software and the Audi Connect Icon would appear. The customer service rep (voiced sounded really young) put me on hold for about 1 min, then came back and said the headunit physically is missing some component that in order to do what I want, it would require a complete replacement of the MMI system. She sounded really young, and I don't know if I believe her. She didn't speak with much conviction. Felt like she was just trying to give me an answer. Anyways, I haven't gone back to verify. But in the glove box, yes it has the sim card slots. I haven't had time to reach out to my dealer and verify if that's the case. But I thought I read some thread here about Audi Connect coming to the canadian market, but not retrofittable to earlier productions. I guess maybe she is correct.

Originally Posted by Henry Kang
Just wondering if you can hotspot tether your phone's current data to the q7 instead of REQUIRING a sim card.

Also will this function require audi connect to work?

I'm in Canada so audi connect is out of the window, but could this function able to give internet to the car and perhaps launch the google maps and online search?

Last edited by Zoich; 09-03-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoich
Henry...I read some thread here about Audi Connect coming to the canadian market, but not retrofittable to earlier productions. I guess maybe she is correct.
Yes she's absolutely correct. It's over-the-head console with SOS and other buttons to call for help/roadside assistance, sort of GM on-star or AcuraLink similar. Without this console 50% of Audi Connect services are not going to work and they are not going to activate just part of it without this main unit.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexQ7
Yes she's absolutely correct. It's over-the-head console with SOS and other buttons to call for help/roadside assistance, sort of GM on-star or AcuraLink similar. Without this console 50% of Audi Connect services are not going to work and they are not going to activate just part of it without this main unit.
Not to hijack the thread, but in terms of the comparison to GM OnStar (which we have on our 2016 Suburban), I have to say that the Audi system (which I wouldn't doubt is serviced by OnStar as other OEMs have done) is a bit of a disappointment.

I like OnStar's ability to make phone calls (on those rare occasions I forget my cell phone). While I haven't tested the Audi system, it seems to be more geared toward emergencies (which is the most important thing, but technologically not the only possible thing). With OnStar, you can call and talk to an advisor, get directions, etc. It just has more functionality.

Has anyone else tested the Audi version? If so, what was the use case?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Audi is using Sirius as provider for emergency services: Sirius XM Holdings Inc. - Audi Selects Sirius XM Connected Vehicle Services to Power Emergency Services for Audi connect