Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How do I install the map update via the SD card?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
I thought that these maps are supposed to update OTA instead of needing an sd card
You can only get some many 'regions' from over the air. I drove from NC to VT and that is more states than you can get over the air.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My understanding is that the SD card gets nothing but the instructions how to get the content over the web. Am I wrong? I've loaded "full update" on my SD card. The process of downloading was as slow as a snail... and the only result was that the MMI was accessing on-line source for downloading real thing.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I did this on my S3 it was because of the java crap and then once downloaded it went thru another tedious process before being able to put it on the sd card. then another 30 mins from the card to the car. I will give OTA a try when it prompts me.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You download the entire map on the SD card and it loads from there.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem was in my computer. Just couldn't figure out what to do. Once I downloaded the file clicking on it did nothing. As we were going on a vacation I resorted to OTA updating. It took a while to do my region but it was done. A couple of updates of Java later and clicking on the downloaded file finally opened the JAVA app and I was able to download the update, which was about 16 gig to the SD card. The download to the SD card was surprisingly fast, definitely less than 20 minutes, compared to what other posters here said. The update itself in the car likewise only took me even much less time. I don't know if a partial OTA update made this process faster though.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if I am in the US East, and got a new car, do I benefit from a map update?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I believe updates come out around Jan. 1st and July 1st every year, check your version hard to say if they load the latest, I think mine was though so if your car shipped after July 1st you probably have the latest.

Even then, who knows, I know of at least 2 mistakes locally in the system, update did not fix (but it should not needed to either). Also since businesses etc..can be stored in there that data is going to be more dynamic than road data, so it depends what you use it for. Certainly should never hurt to update.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I believe updates come out around Jan. 1st and July 1st every year, check your version hard to say if they load the latest, I think mine was though so if your car shipped after July 1st you probably have the latest.

Even then, who knows, I know of at least 2 mistakes locally in the system, update did not fix (but it should not needed to either). Also since businesses etc..can be stored in there that data is going to be more dynamic than road data, so it depends what you use it for. Certainly should never hurt to update.
Is there a way to check the version installed and the latest updated version available?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
It may show up as an OTA update in time. See here -

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...dates-2923986/
Old 01-01-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE:

If you can help

The version I have is North America 2017:

Myaudiusa says something like the update will override the present version. BUT there is no No.America update it is by regions. MA. seems to be within an East Coast category . Will I lose my NA version?
Also, I'm struggling getting the download onto the SD card WT Heck!

I thought I had it on but it is not transferring even though I downloaded JAVA...Any suggestions?
Much appreciated .

Quick Reply: How do I install the map update via the SD card?