AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   How do we know when Audi updates computer firmware? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/how-do-we-know-when-audi-updates-computer-firmware-2898169/)

jmike52 03-28-2016 06:53 AM

How do we know when Audi updates computer firmware?

The Q7 runs on computer software. VERY COMPLEX COMPUTER SOFTWARE! So, when Audi issues a software/firmware update, are we owners notified?

NABS4 03-28-2016 07:27 AM

No

Lookout57 03-28-2016 09:11 AM

Unless there is a TSB with a mandatory fix, Audi will only install updates if they fix a specific customer complaint.

lapi 03-28-2016 02:51 PM

At some point all manufactures will follow Tesla.

kip1 03-30-2016 02:44 AM

I surely hope so. It is idiotic to have to drive with obsolete firmware.

bootnet 03-31-2016 12:44 PM

they will never send OTA updates unless forced into it.. why would they.. updates could break some things while trying to fix others. I too wish they would to over the air updates to add features but they wont..I'd still rather drive an audi compared to tesla ..at least for now but audi better get with it fast!

kip1 03-31-2016 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bootnet (Post 24794648)
they will never send OTA updates unless forced into it.. why would they.. updates could break some things while trying to fix others. I too wish they would to over the air updates to add features but they wont..I'd still rather drive an audi compared to tesla ..at least for now but audi better get with it fast!

I am sorry, but this is just not true. Why would it stop them just breaking others while fixing others in the workshop firmware update, there are examples of it happening, it doesnt save you from anything. Doing it over the air, just lets the consumer hsve the newest fixed updates immediately as they arrive. My other car is a Tesla. I have had no problems. It is so cool that in the morning I have a new firmware.

lapi 04-01-2016 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bootnet (Post 24794648)

The truth is, your car will feel fresh when new small features gets added over a period of time. Look at millions of phones out there, the software delivery has come a long way, compared to, lets say, 10 years ago. There are so many ways the delivered software can be validated and completely rollback if necessary. The only thing is that the system must be designed with OTA in mind.

I love to drive a Tesla, so reserved a Model 3 as the second car replacement.