Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How do you keep radio on when you open the door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How do you keep radio on when you open the door?

Is there a way to keep the radio on when I get out of the vehicle? I don't understand why there is no option to keep the radio on until we get out and lock the car, instead it just shuts off the moment I open the door.
I miss BMW's way of dealing with radio. I didn't try opening the door first then shutting off the engine, does that work?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I didn't try opening the door first then shutting off the engine, does that work?
Yes, the radio stays on.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's been a while since I had a BMW, but I don't remember the radio staying on until the car is locked. In fact that would be a bit of an issue. I never lock my cars in the garage. You can turn the MMI/radio back on by pushing down on the volume button or pressing any of the MMI control buttons such as Radio. It will stay on for 10 minutes and then turn off automatically.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

More recent BMWs leave the radio on until you lock the door. Previously, the radios did turn off once you exit
Old 02-18-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigKutta
More recent BMWs leave the radio on until you lock the door. Previously, the radios did turn off once you exit
One more reason to stay away from BMW. That takes me back to the 80s when the radios where not looped through the ignition and you always had to manually turn them off before locking the car. At least BMW automatically turns it off when locking the car, but if you don't lock it sometimes like I do it will stay on. Hopefully it has a timeout and eventually turns off to preserve the battery.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
One more reason to stay away from BMW. That takes me back to the 80s when the radios where not looped through the ignition and you always had to manually turn them off before locking the car. At least BMW automatically turns it off when locking the car, but if you don't lock it sometimes like I do it will stay on. Hopefully it has a timeout and eventually turns off to preserve the battery.
Yes, It turns off after about 5 or 10 minutes (generally about 1,5 song length, I noticed) to avoid battery drain, but hitting power button turns it on instantly, I don't understand how this is a reason to stay away from a vehicle. With that logic, I should stay away from Audi.
The problem with Audi, it actually seems to disconnect from BT too, and it takes a while to reconnect, it's really a hassle.

Originally Posted by sr007
Yes, the radio stays on.
Thanks, I have to remember to do that next time.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

uh, ok. LOL!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Yes, It turns off after about 5 or 10 minutes (generally about 1,5 song length, I noticed) to avoid battery drain, but hitting power button turns it on instantly, I don't understand how this is a reason to stay away from a vehicle. With that logic, I should stay away from Audi.
The problem with Audi, it actually seems to disconnect from BT too, and it takes a while to reconnect, it's really a hassle..
By itself certainly not a reason. I said another reason. There are many others that keep me from going back to BMW. It was more tongue-in-cheek.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

By itself certainly not a reason. I said another reason. There are many others that keep me from going back to BMW. It was more tongue-in-cheek.
Can't wait to see what they come up with on X7.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Opening the door before turning off the engine does not work, it still turns off the radio and retracts the monitor and disconnects BT when engine turns off.

Quick Reply: How do you keep radio on when you open the door?