Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Hows the Q7 in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hows the Q7 in the snow?

Thinking of taking my wives Q to the office today. How's the it do in the snow? Standard prestige all weather tires.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dario Campolattaro
Thinking of taking my wives Q to the office today. How's the it do in the snow? Standard prestige all weather tires.
Hope you're not in CT since Gov. Malloy instated a travel ban today!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It is less important with how well your Q7 will do in the snow (as long as you are a competent driver. The thing I always concern myself with is how the other idiots on the road do in the snow. I've seen way to many instances of a good driver in the right car and proper tires getting taken out by someone who has no business driving their rear wheel drive car with high performance summer tires... I'd push delivery by a day or two and let it pass. Not worth it the first day you have your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeteDin206:
Bruce B (02-16-2020), ndanl (01-05-2020)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the standard 20" tires that come with Premium Plus, and its a rocket up my steep driveway even with snow. Living in the "official" snowiest city in the country (only includes U.S. cities with a population above 50,000), I do just fine.

I hear all these people changing out their all seasons for snows, but I havent had one problem so far this winter (its my first winter with the Q7).
Old 03-14-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I have the standard 20" tires that come with Premium Plus, and its a rocket up my steep driveway even with snow. Living in the "official" snowiest city in the country (only includes U.S. cities with a population above 50,000), I do just fine.

I hear all these people changing out their all seasons for snows, but I havent had one problem so far this winter (its my first winter with the Q7).
Syracuse? Nice. You going to the game tonight?

Last edited by Psy Wagon; 03-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dario Campolattaro
Dario - Its the ice I'm worried about out here today. We have snow/ice mixed across the river from you, but it may have skipped you.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon
Syracuse? Nice. You going to the game tonight?
Nah - gonna watch it on my cozy couch in front of a fireplace. They'll be lucky to get 5000 fans there with the current weather.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends what tires you have. Q7 has a great AWD system well-suited for weathering the worst conditions, but if the tires aren't up to the task it will still suck. All-seasons will be fine, dedicated winters even better, studless snow and ice tires like Blizzak DM-V2/3 or Nokian Hakkas are best if going through thick stuff.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Stock tires are awful on the ice. I had to get some Blizzaks put on.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OSUMD
It handles snow and ice with no problem! Honestly, it's the best snow handling vehicle I've had. This time last year I was driving a bigger 4WD SUV (Toyota Sequoia) and the Q7 outpaces it hands down. We here in Northeast Ohio are on the western edge of the blizzard hitting the East Coast (all schools here are closed today, for example), and I had no trouble getting into work today .
I second that. Just spent two weeks in the southern Rockies in a Toyota Sequoia. Worst car I've driven in snow. Ever. I don't mind driving in snow at all, but during a big blizzard I was extremely cautious in this thing. (Even on dry roads it is a joke, 5.7 L V8 going nowhere.) Boy did I miss my Q7. The handling of the 4M vs. 4L: huge improvement with the 4M, the weight loss likely part of the reason, the 4M is much more stable and quicker to react to steering input (I'm on 21" Pirelli Scorpion winters).

Quick Reply: Hows the Q7 in the snow?