AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   I think our family is set on a 2018 Q7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/i-think-our-family-set-2018-q7-2938270/)

smacky 12-05-2017 05:29 PM

I think our family is set on a 2018 Q7

Our family has been big on Lexus, BMW, and MB in the past and has stuck with them for decades because they have all been reliable as all hell for us, despite what other places may report.

I've been doing the research for the family car the past few months and a combination of Consumer Reports reviews (90/100) and a few other popular mags like MT and CD, I've been spearheading the campaign for a Q7 to replace our previous family SUV.

I've done plenty of research but I have a few hangups.

We're in the midwest just outside a large city but not quiet in the Snow Belt. But our driveway is inclined and we do have a car get stuck at times, but only on our driveway. Going in or out. That's with xDrive and 4Matic models our family has but we all use All season tires, so maybe that's the issue?

We're looking at a Prestige only and have test driven a model with the features we wanted except the Luxury Package. The packages we're interested in are the Prestige (obviously), Cold Weather, Adaptive Chassis, and the Luxury Package. The latter is the one I'm having some questions about as it's a $5k option. Our dealership had no Luxury Package models on hand for us to compare with the standard seats and leather but we did want to see the difference. I wanted to ask if the difference was noticeable. I've looked at the description of what the package entails and while we're not keen on getting massages, we do appreciate the "extended" leather feel, especially on a car North of $80K. I wanted to know if the seats felt any better (or worse?) since they were the individual contoured seats.

Another question I had was about the Adaptive Chassis. We don't off-road at all, unless you count driving on ice or snow that may not have been cleared in our neighborhood or our driveway. I've searched threads on here and it seems many use the AC package for actually being off the road. Will the chassis be of any use on crappy, bumpy, pot hole filled roads in terms of comfort? I know we won't "raise" the clearance of the car for it, but the salesperson did mention the ride was softer and more luxurious and the package wasn't necessarily for off roading use only.

What about the 4 wheel steering; does that help in snowy or icy conditions? Turn radius isn't that big a deal for us either but the reason we're replacing an SUV with another is for the ability to transport stuff in the trunk and for the Quattro performance in the snow/ice/cold weather in general.

So basically I'm asking not if the Luxury Package is "worth it" but instead is appreciated versus the standard seating and roof lining options? The massage chairs are just an extra but not a deal breaker. But the extended leather on the dash and door would definitely be a nice feature to have.

And is adaptive chassis overkill for a family that will likely never off road but would prefer the ride and smoothness in the Q7 to be close to an A8/S Class as possible?

TNJed 12-05-2017 06:12 PM

We were of a similar mind

We bought our Q7 with everything except for B&O, Night Assist and Luxury. One of our musts was the Adaptive Chassis. Living in a city with narrow alleys and busy-with-construction streets, the tight turning radius is very necessary. I also enjoy the different driving modes; while not the same kind of necessary, it’s good to feel the “sporty” dynamic mode.

I can’t speak for what Luxury offers, but I drive a lengthy commute, and the regular seat option is very comfortable.

smacky 12-05-2017 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TNJed (Post 25077829)
We bought our Q7 with everything except for B&O, Night Assist and Luxury. One of our musts was the Adaptive Chassis. Living in a city with narrow alleys and busy-with-construction streets, the tight turning radius is very necessary. I also enjoy the different driving modes; while not the same kind of necessary, it’s good to feel the “sporty” dynamic mode.

I can’t speak for what Luxury offers, but I drive a lengthy commute, and the regular seat option is very comfortable.

Thanks for the info.

I've gone so far as to read the Q7 manual online just to see what was said about the driving modes and which were available on a non-AC equipped model. What's the mode missing in a non-AC that AC does have?

We test drove an AC model but didn't realize we had it until we saw the sticker afterwards. So we weren't able to actively try and find its benefits while driving. We didn't test drive a regular suspension model either and I think that's what we'll have to end up doing.

Dasaint 12-05-2017 07:25 PM

Comfort mode soaks up bump and ride almost pillow like with Air suspension. Im not sure how extra supple it get with non air cars.

eiw 12-06-2017 03:27 AM

Sorry for maybe stupid question but what does the luxury package include in the US. Here in Europe I have not heard about this.

Polonium1 12-06-2017 04:28 AM

Luxury package
  • Light Alcantara® headliner
  • Individual contour front seats with ventilation and massage
  • Valcona leather interior with Extended leather package

Bozman5000 12-06-2017 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by smacky (Post 25077809)
Our family has been big on Lexus, BMW, and MB in the past and has stuck with them for decades because they have all been reliable as all hell for us, despite what other places may report.

I've been doing the research for the family car the past few months and a combination of Consumer Reports reviews (90/100) and a few other popular mags like MT and CD, I've been spearheading the campaign for a Q7 to replace our previous family SUV.

We're in the midwest just outside a large city but not quiet in the Snow Belt. But our driveway is inclined and we do have a car get stuck at times, but only on our driveway. Going in or out. That's with xDrive and 4Matic models our family has but we all use All season tires, so maybe that's the issue?

We're looking at a Prestige only and have test driven a model with the features we wanted except the Luxury Package. The packages we're interested in are the Prestige (obviously), Cold Weather, Adaptive Chassis, and the Luxury Package. The latter is the one I'm having some questions about as it's a $5k option. Our dealership had no Luxury Package models on hand for us to compare with the standard seats and leather but we did want to see the difference. I wanted to ask if the difference was noticeable. I've looked at the description of what the package entails and while we're not keen on getting massages, we do appreciate the "extended" leather feel, especially on a car North of $80K. I wanted to know if the seats felt any better (or worse?) since they were the individual contoured seats.

Another question I had was about the Adaptive Chassis. We don't off-road at all, unless you count driving on ice or snow that may not have been cleared in our neighborhood or our driveway. I've searched threads on here and it seems many use the AC package for actually being off the road. Will the chassis be of any use on crappy, bumpy, pot hole filled roads in terms of comfort? I know we won't "raise" the clearance of the car for it, but the salesperson did mention the ride was softer and more luxurious and the package wasn't necessarily for off roading use only.

What about the 4 wheel steering; does that help in snowy or icy conditions? Turn radius isn't that big a deal for us either but the reason we're replacing an SUV with another is for the ability to transport stuff in the trunk and for the Quattro performance in the snow/ice/cold weather in general.

So basically I'm asking not if the Luxury Package is "worth it" but instead is appreciated versus the standard seating and roof lining options? The massage chairs are just an extra but not a deal breaker. But the extended leather on the dash and door would definitely be a nice feature to have.

And is adaptive chassis overkill for a family that will likely never off road but would prefer the ride and smoothness in the Q7 to be close to an A8/S Class as possible?

Extended leather doesn’t include the dash.

Paul3.2A4avant 12-06-2017 05:05 AM

Another benefit of the air suspension is that it will self-level when packed with kids, gear, a dog, etc. You don't get that sagging butt look. I think it also handles better with the air suspension when hauling all that weight.

BigKutta 12-06-2017 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by smacky (Post 25077809)

Are you asking about extended leather or better seats? I am sure the updated seats are better. However, the leather is not extended as much as you think. when I picked up my Q I got in a lux package Q7 and could hardly notice the difference. There is leather on the lower portion of the doors (that can hardly be seen) and perhaps around the gear console. And no, the dash is not leather.

AC is great for off-road and for towing, but I'm sure its an improvement on regular roads as well. But the best bang for the buck would be if you do those two things

The 4 wheel steering will provide the same advantage when turning on dry or wet/icy pavement. It doesnt provide additional traction, just additional turning ability

djpeaksd 12-06-2017 10:35 AM

Here is my take.

Adaptive chasis is awesome! I love the look of the car in its lowest setting, rides like a dream (more plush then standard suspension) and the 4 way steering is is awesome. Literally the same turning radius as an A4. Last thing I will say about adaptive chasis: having adjustability is just awesome.

Luxury package: Do you need it? No you don't but it sure makes the interior look amazing imo, especially if you get Cedar which is not offered on non luxury package. The alcantara on the headliner, pillars and door inserts looks stunning. The extended leather isn't amazing i will say I wish it did include dash. But to someones point above, it does cover the glove box in black leather as well. I will say the seats are way more comfortable to me then in the normal Prestige. I drove non comfort package back to back with Comfort package and could tell a huge difference right away. The Valcona leather is way softer then the standard leather. Honestly if you got the money go for both packages.