Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

If you had the chance to do it all over again?

Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default If you had the chance to do it all over again?

I'm now faced with what to get as our DD/wife's vehicle, time is on our side so we can do something now or later in the year. So if you had to do it all over again and being a cash buyer, what would you do?

Here are some choices and feel free to add others that might be relevant:

1) 19 Q7...last year of many good things...but facelifted model coming this year and resale of current model will get hammered...significant savings 10%+
2) 20 Q7...new styling but loss of many of the more expensive items the current version has...better resale and more power, so so deals initially
3) MBGLE 450...improved styling, larger than before, more power than even the fl'd Q7, inline engine, 9 spd and 20 MY available in 60 days...but built in USA and no deals for awhile
4) Tried the Q8's and extensively so, but found the Q7 better all around.
5) New Caddy XT6...looks pretty nice but lacking in lux according to mags and most likely no deals for a while, low in power
6) 19 Cayenne...found the interior of the Q7 nicer/richer looking and better made/more solid
7) All new 2020 GLS...supposed to be a BIG improvement over current model but na until Q4 and made in USA
8) All new RR..but understand wont be unitl MY21
9) 19 BMW X5 New one looks better but I'm just not feeling the exterior styling..built in USA and a 19 vs 20

Am I missing anything? Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-15-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

From that list I'd take the '20 Q7 or the BMW X5. I dont really need a 3rd row, but have used it on occasion and its fun when two families can go together versus going in two cars. But getting past that, I'd do the X5
Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your list it would appear that a sedan is out of the question? Is your wife dead set on a luxury SUV?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
From that list I'd take the '20 Q7 or the BMW X5. I dont really need a 3rd row, but have used it on occasion and its fun when two families can go together versus going in two cars. But getting past that, I'd do the X5
Have you driven the new x5? I've only checked it out in the showroom so far

Originally Posted by JBaumgart
From your list it would appear that a sedan is out of the question? Is your wife dead set on a luxury SUV?
She likes sitting up high and feels safer in an SUV...she'd prbably go for an A8, 7 series or an S class if I pushed a bit, but she likes suvs

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-15-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC 1
She likes sitting up high and feels safer in an SUV...she'd prbably go for an A8, 7 series or an S class if I pushed a bit, but she likes suvs
My wife, all of 5' tall, feels the same way.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JBaumgart
My wife, all of 5' tall, feels the same way.
LOL, mine's quite petite as well...I guess it's the only way they can feel taller
Old 01-15-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We just went through this process, settled on a 2018 Q7 Prestige. We drove the new X5, it was ok, but nothing remarkable. Our BMW dealer also has a really poor service department so that factored into the decision again. I was surprised at how much they were willing to discount the x5 being that it was so new. Our dealer had a ton of them sitting on the lot...

I’m interested in the new MB, but we haven’t owned one and I don’t love the previous interiors I have sat in.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

To the list, I would add the Aviator and out of the left field the new RAM
Old 01-15-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFatArmadillo
We just went through this process, settled on a 2018 Q7 Prestige. We drove the new X5, it was ok, but nothing remarkable. Our BMW dealer also has a really poor service department so that factored into the decision again. I was surprised at how much they were willing to discount the x5 being that it was so new. Our dealer had a ton of them sitting on the lot...

I’m interested in the new MB, but we haven’t owned one and I don’t love the previous interiors I have sat in.
Curious as to the discounts you were getting on the X5. With the markets see sawing like they are, its not surprising people have put off buying cars for a bit, plus there are a millions types of SUVs nowadays. We have an ML (now GLE), and despite its gremlins (1st year of the model), its a solid vehicle. I think if the new interior was available back when we bought, we would have bought it.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Curious as to the discounts you were getting on the X5. With the markets see sawing like they are, its not surprising people have put off buying cars for a bit, plus there are a millions types of SUVs nowadays. We have an ML (now GLE), and despite its gremlins (1st year of the model), its a solid vehicle. I think if the new interior was available back when we bought, we would have bought it.
$71k and change was the sticker, they were at $63k after incentives in December.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you had the chance to do it all over again?