Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

I'm done with my new Q7...and probably with Audi.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by parking sensors? I picked mine up 5/31. Back sensors work whenever in reverse.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Is this a serious post? Car manufacturers change specifications and features all the time. If not impossible, it is certainly very expensive to perpetually have the newest and shiniest. That's how manufacturers separate us from our money.

I'm sorry I don't share your outrage. GL.

Last edited by NABS4; 11-14-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
What do you mean by parking sensors? I picked mine up 5/31. Back sensors work whenever in reverse.
There's a setting which can automatically engage the front sensors when pulling into a parking place. This can also be accomplished by pushing the parking sensor button on the dash.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like everyone has focused on the fact that the parking sensors are the main reason I sold my Q7. Its not. They are part of the reason however. Not that I had a vehicle that was surpassed my newer technology, but that I had a vehicle that is in serious danger of being vastly reduced in value because of the decisions that Audi has made / is making.

1) Screwing over those that purchased the vehicle in the first 6 months and offering no upgrades for a change in the part installed. While this is the first one like this who knows how many more will follow in the next 2 years where those that initially purchased the vehicle will not be able to partake in upgrades.

2) The 3.0 engine scandal. This is really the big thing. The previous scandal was known and being worked on so we all knew that the resale value of your car MAY be at risk. Yet we all took that chance anyways, mostly because of the good reputation that Audi has had in the past. We forgave them this desecration. But now we find out that Audi basically said "screw you" to all buyers AFTER the initial scandal broke by hiding YET ANOTHER SCANDAL!! This is the main issue I have and the main reason I sold the vehicle. Because I cannot trust Audi, I cannot trust that they will care one bit about me as a customer. I did not buy an $82,000 vehicle to get a $500.00 gift card and lose 50% plus of my resale value down the road.

Honestly however I am not upset...I am disappointed. Disappointed that I have purchased two vehicles from Audi and know that both of them are part of a scandal that will seriously erode their value. And based on the parking sensor issue I also now know that Audi will not do the right thing and fix it. They will do the cheapest thing and think of themselves....and not the customer.

Just my thoughts. I know that most everyone will not agree with this. Personally I loved driving the car, love the technology, and loved most everything about it... but in the end I can not trust the car company that made it.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Is this a serious post? Car manufacturers change specifications and features all the time. If not impossible, it is certainly very expensive to perpetually have the newest and shiniest. That's how manufacturers separate us from our money.

I'm sorry I don't share your outrage. GL.
I think you are missing the point a little bit. Obviously car makers will change and improve their vehicles features / functions, but that usually occurs from model year to model year. The OP is upset because we are talking about all MY 17 Q7s. It may be one thing had this particular function been added due to a recall or regulation issue (then that might be understandable). It was the choice of Audi for some unknown reason to suddenly install different sensors and updated software in Q7s made after May but not before. The vehicles made after May do not cost any different, so in defense of the OP, why should someone that took delivery in June not get the function but someone that took delivery in July get it? If anything, its sure to cause some confusion on dealer lots, as its quite possible many dealers will end up for a time period with some stock having the function and some not. Nothing like test driving a $70K + vehicle with certain features only to find out after taking delivery the following week that yours does not have them.

My Q7 does not have the feature and personally I do not mind that much. Would it be nice? Sure. But not at all a deal breaker for me. I do understand the OP's frustration however.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
I think you are missing the point a little bit. Obviously car makers will change and improve their vehicles features / functions, but that usually occurs from model year to model year. The OP is upset because we are talking about all MY 17 Q7s. It may be one thing had this particular function been added due to a recall or regulation issue (then that might be understandable). It was the choice of Audi for some unknown reason to suddenly install different sensors and updated software in Q7s made after May but not before. The vehicles made after May do not cost any different, so in defense of the OP, why should someone that took delivery in June not get the function but someone that took delivery in July get it? If anything, its sure to cause some confusion on dealer lots, as its quite possible many dealers will end up for a time period with some stock having the function and some not. Nothing like test driving a $70K + vehicle with certain features only to find out after taking delivery the following week that yours does not have them.

My Q7 does not have the feature and personally I do not mind that much. Would it be nice? Sure. But not at all a deal breaker for me. I do understand the OP's frustration however.
RichObe and Cadx6 both posted OBDeleven-enabled front parking sensors automatic on, on their March builds, I believe -- would be great if they could comment/verify.

(These are three different links to discussion on this topic.)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24857662

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24859058

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24861137

I don't know exactly when the 'sensors front not on automatically' was deemed to be due to a 0443 vs 0692 SW difference only.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jallen0
I just sold my Q7. I had a build date of December and received my car in January. While this car has exceeded my expectations in ride comfort and technology, there are serious issues in how Audi is dealing with early owners of the vehicle. I paid $82,000 for a vehicle I expected would be state-of-the-art in technology from a company who was supposed to be the best in the industry when it came to service. Sadly this is not the case.
Agreed I have been actively working on selling my February purchased Q7 for the past couple weeks or so. I am tired of being on the phone on a near weekly basis with Audi. I have felt a bit alienated by this forum since everyone seems so loyal and happy, so it is welcome to hear I am not alone in my frustration. I have also sent you a pm.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I paid $82,000 for a vehicle I expected would be state-of-the-art in technology from a company who was supposed to be the best in the industry when it came to service. Sadly this is not the case.

In the last three months I have discovered that my car does not have the required parking sensors to upgrade to the new software (needed to be built after May) and there are no plans to upgrade to them. Now it is part of this emission scandal where the Q7's build before May are part of the software cheat (per Wall Street Journal). Either one of these items have the potential to destroy any resale value and while that is just a potential I can say with certainly that Audi has destroyed my faith in them as a company.
To my understanding, you are an early 'eager-beaver adopter'. You should have done your research first before jumping into the early adopter bandwagon. Now, you think Audi owes you some missing tech which was not offered in the first place for the early MK2 Q7's. Since Audi couldn't give you this upgrade that the later MK2 Q7's have, you start saying their service is bad? I think no one is to blame here except you. Your decision, your responsibility. I would understand you better if you just came out and said that you're having early adopter buyer's remorse.

In my opinion, Audi has really screwed over those of us that are early adopters as well as apparently lied to us. Purchasing a car of this type and quality is more than just writing a check. It is about allowing the owner to feel that they were part of the experience...that they could reward themselves with a vehicle that stands above the rest. Sadly the new Q7 I purchased is not revealing itself to be no better than...well, then a Volkswagen. Frankly I do not want to own an $82,000 Volkswagen. The sad part is I also just purchased a new Q5 as well...that is also involved in the new 3.0 scandal. A scandal that was not revealed months ago when the original scandal happened.
In my opinion, I find this a convenient excuse to further justify getting rid of your Q7 early. Honestly, does one go out to buy a Q7 or Q5 with a petrol engine and worry about how much emissions that comes out of the exhaust? If you are worried about carbon emissions that much, why not just go buy an electric car and feel good about your carbon footprint? I understand if you feel lied to because you were sold a diesel engine equipped vehicle that's touted to be a clean diesel. It is not like Audi promised North America that their gas engines are one of the cleanest in the world. In my opinon, I think you're over-reacting to these new emissions allegations. Also, instead of throwing the first stone at Audi, at least, wait for them to come out with their response to these new allegations. There's so much fear-mongering in society nowadays and there's nothing to fear about yet. Lawyers are looking at the next big meal. Media is looking for the next best scoop. Society is being taken for a ride by greedy corporations.

Last edited by plat27265; 11-14-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to me on the 2013 Infiniti qx56. I ordered mine custom, waited 4 months and was one of the first deliveries on MY 2013 in TX.
6 months later.. Infiniti did a mid year upgrade to the nav system where they added features like connection to Google maps etc.

I was pissed. I bitched to Infiniti about it... They threw in free maintenance for 2 years to make me happy.
I took it and moved on. Surprisingly... Never thought about that ever again and never missed those advanced nav features....
Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It is not unheard of that certain features of new vehicles are phased in and can't necessarily be retrofitted later on. Doesn't just happen with cars. Being an early adopter requires a certain level of acceptance.

It's wrong that improvements and additions are only made on a model year or refresh cycle basis. Audi like other manufacturers redesigns parts and adds features throughout the model year. They install updated software and even redesigned parts throughout the model year. Some of these updates become available as dealer updates if they are deemed to fix premature failures or fix customer complaints, but the auto industry is not known for adding new features post sale.

This is part of why I generally buy cars after the midcycle refresh or at least wait a model year or two after the introduction of a new model. I've been an early adopter many times in my life for various products. It wasn't always pleasant. The older I get the less willing I am to be an early adopter for stuff that I depend on.

The emissions cheat is a different issue and I certainly understand your concern. I suspect Audi/VW are not the only one and we'll learn of other manufacturers doing this as the investigations go on.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-14-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm done with my new Q7...and probably with Audi.