AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Impressed with SD Card as Source (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/impressed-sd-card-source-2975703/)

Astropup 07-11-2019 03:27 PM

Impressed with SD Card as Source

After dealing with my 2017 Honda, I was pretty impressed when I set up the Q7 for songs on the SD card.

Honda - No directories - must dump everything in the root :mad:
Honda - FAT32 only :(
Honda - 128 kbps only :confused:

Q7 - Artist/Album/Song - the default and the way mine were on my PC already :cool:
Q7 - ExFAT worked just fine :)
Q7 - My 256 mbps songs worked great. :)

Bottom line was I got 3000 songs on my system and had to do nothing besides copy the exiting structure from my PC to a freshly ExFat formatted SD card! Woot! :D

PARealtor 07-11-2019 05:14 PM

how large an SD card will work? do you have all 3000 songs on one card?

Astropup 07-11-2019 05:41 PM

I used a 64 Gig card (surplus from my DSLR and our last vacation) but there were only 23 Gig of files on it - so all on the one card. Dunno how much bigger a card it will take but I bet someone else does. I used slot #1 but it prolly does not matter. What surprised me more is that it accepted ExFat.

htd4555 07-12-2019 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by PARealtor (Post 25341448)
how large an SD card will work? do you have all 3000 songs on one card?

I use a 128 GB microSD and fill it to capacity with 320 kbps mp3 songs. The car has not skipped a beat.

Dasaint 07-12-2019 06:46 AM

I have a 256GB in there. Will be a while before I fill that thing up

Brimstone 07-12-2019 08:10 AM

I use a 256 GB, mostly flac files, (some 320 or 256 kbps mp3s).

There's a stupid bug where when you start the car up it just says "loading..." until the song changes, I think its only when using playlists (maybe fixed in newer mmi version)

Astropup 07-12-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brimstone (Post 25341636)
I use a 256 GB, mostly flac files, (some 320 or 256 kbps mp3s).

There's a stupid bug where when you start the car up it just says "loading..." until the song changes, I think its only when using playlists (maybe fixed in newer mmi version)

I noted something like that with Android Auto and Spotify (not just on the Audi so prolly a Spotify/AA thing). It will not play because there "is no internet connection" when there a good connection and everything else works. Most of the time advancing fixes that too.

hayde_bre 07-12-2019 10:09 AM

Astropup, it's not just Spotify I get that with other streaming services too, Android Auto is going through a lot of issues recently, it was working perfectly fine until they completely messed with it and now even 30 minute commute I see frozen or crashing AA screens or bottom menu just blacking out.

As for SD card, where are you guys getting your music from? Ripping your own CDs? I just realized I had my 128GB USB nano drive in my glove box, but my music collection is from last decade. I have n't been downloading any music or buying CDs to rip, and anything I buy is "AutoRip" from Amazon so it's sourced by streaming services.

Astropup 07-12-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by hayde_bre (Post 25341697)
As for SD card, where are you guys getting your music from? Ripping your own CDs? I just realized I had my 128GB USB nano drive in my glove box, but my music collection is from last decade. I have n't been downloading any music or buying CDs to rip, and anything I buy is "AutoRip" from Amazon so it's sourced by streaming services.

Mostly just old stuff for me too on the card. Newer stuff is all Spotify for me, with just a very few Amazon purchases. Card is nice if I don't want to bother with the phone for some reason.

Brimstone 07-15-2019 07:34 AM

I just rip CDs (and I still buy them when I can). CDs sound better than digital music, its subtle but you can hear it back to back. (sometimes from supposedly lossless sources, but not always, I suspect in some cases there might be different DAC involved with a CD vs. decoding. but I don't know - I don't think I can hear the difference in my home theater with my PC but in the Q7 I could).

Does it still put a 2 second pause between tracks? That's annoying too if you're listening to an album where the tracks segue together.