Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

iOS 12 will support Google Maps and Waze

Old 06-04-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default iOS 12 will support Google Maps and Waze

Apple had their yearly developer conference today and announced that iOS 12 will support Google Maps and Waze. There is no release date as of now, but usualy new iOS versions come out in the fall.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally! This was long awaited on CarPlay.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason to have CarPlay is for Waze. Hopefully, it will be around Sept.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm probably gonna jump ship to android, still mulling it over. Willing to bet iOS 12 still can't shuffle music.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I'm probably gonna jump ship to android, still mulling it over. Willing to bet iOS 12 still can't shuffle music.
It is still a mystery to me why IOS can't shuffle music. I hear the same 30-40 songs over and over out of 1000 available. And if it starts to play a song by Xxxxx and I hit skip what makes you think I want to hear a different song by the same artist!
Old 06-04-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is huge. As someone that has been Android since 2009, today's conference gave me a huge urge to switch to iOS for my phone. I've had iOS devices since 08, starting with the original iPod Touch and now the iPad Pro, but today was a great conference and the news about third party maps apps being supported is a big plus. Google Maps is truly superior to anything else I've seen out there, especially Apple's native Maps. I thought of this sub and the two cars we have that are Android and Apple Car compatible and how this really negates most of the cons with Apple Car.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick question - if I use CarPlay (Google Maps for iOS12, for example) - can I have the navigation show up on my virtual cockpit and/or HUD? Sounds like the answer is no currently for Apple Maps -- but wanted to see if anyone had something more definitive.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's about time.

Originally Posted by cheweric
Quick question - if I use CarPlay (Google Maps for iOS12, for example) - can I have the navigation show up on my virtual cockpit and/or HUD? Sounds like the answer is no currently for Apple Maps -- but wanted to see if anyone had something more definitive.
No. CarPlay technically has support for an auxiliary display since iOS 10, which would allow the MMI to display turn instructions in the VC and HUD at least, but Audi so far hasn't added support for it.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This was the only reason I've been staying away from Apple, that and their idiotic email client. I heard there are better 3rd party email apps now, although apple likes to keep them behind fences, they still function for the most part.
2nd was the lack of Google Maps integration. I don't think I will wait until September because most likely Note 9 will be my next phone.

I hope we can finally get wireless android auto or some kind of android auto add-on that makes the USB wireless (similar to wireless charger, except wireless USB). superswiss? Any chance of this happening for Audi or don't count on it?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
This was the only reason I've been staying away from Apple, that and their idiotic email client. I heard there are better 3rd party email apps now, although apple likes to keep them behind fences, they still function for the most part.
2nd was the lack of Google Maps integration. I don't think I will wait until September because most likely Note 9 will be my next phone.

I hope we can finally get wireless android auto or some kind of android auto add-on that makes the USB wireless (similar to wireless charger, except wireless USB). superswiss? Any chance of this happening for Audi or don't count on it?
Wireless Android Auto was only just released by Google. Very few phones even have support for it. CarPlay has had wireless support for a while now, but I'm only now reading of car manufacturers finally starting to add wireless CarPlay support. MB I believe is adding it, and BMW I thought already has it, but they want to turn it into a subscription service. Haven't heard anything from Audi on this. Don't count on it any time soon. Wireless Android Auto and CarPlay is a bit questionable in general, though. You still end up having to plug in the phone, otherwise the battery will be drained quickly especially if you use it for navigation. It's perhaps convenient for music streaming and other lower power use, sort of like what you get today with Bluetooth Hands-free and Audio streaming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iOS 12 will support Google Maps and Waze