Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

JD Powers rating

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baltfan
I am a bit confused why you would cross a car off your list based on one person's experiences. There isn't a car maker in the world that doesn't churn out some lemons. Moreover, most of his issues seem to be dealer specific.
For 40 years I have driven Honda's, Toyota's, a Mazda, a Volvo and now a Lexus and never had ANY maintenance issues or squeaks/rattles including belt or hose replacements, fuel pump going out, etc. Had a software update on the Volvo, that was it. I'm driving a low mileage 2010 Tundra truck and love the comfort, incredible storage space and utility of the thing.

I'd trade into a new Lexus RX 350 in a heartbeat if they hadn't designed that stupid looking black gaping hole up front. And my sentiments are not alone as reflected in many auto forums regarding the Lexus re-design.

Also, the Audi is a REAL loser when it comes to a lack of storage space and a spare. Excessive tire wear scares the hell out of me too. The console "storage" is useless and the glove box is not far behind. The door slots should have been hinged for convenience sake like my 2013 Lexus RX350 is.

Last edited by Johnny Bench; 07-28-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny Bench
Thanks for the comprehensive report. We can finally write the Q7 off our list. This car seems plagued with issues and not a good value.....or bet.
Man, I'm thinking you jump to conclusion real fast....
My comments were in the context of HOW JD powers reports could come out with a 3 star based on initial quality.

You really went over the top on your conclusion of 'plagued with issues' and the sarcasm is really not fair in this case.

My comments were VERY clear about why the JD powers report could come out with an average score for the Q7 and a little better than average for the BMW, which in my case the BMW was in fact plagued with service issues...

It would have been nice to have been extended a few minutes of your time to understand what the intent was for sharing my story.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Guys,

A little perspective is need. Most Audi owners do not belong to this forum so you do not get a large sample about reliability. Also, hardly anybody posts when their car does not have problems. Look at the number of people participating. Most people like myself come to a forum when they are researching a car. They buy it then leave until they start looking for the next car.

I have talked to a lot of Audi owners in my area and none of them has had a major or many minor problems with their cars.

BTW, Consumer Reports rates the Q7 as one of the top reliable vehicles it has evaluated.

Small samples cause problems with statistics.

So let's be real, any SUV in this cost category is going to be good on the whole. You can get a lemon, but it is going to be the exception. Their all good. Go sit in all of them and drive them. The one that fells best to you is the one you need to buy.

Geoff
Old 07-28-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiTK
Man, I'm thinking you jump to conclusion real fast....
You really went over the top on your conclusion of 'plagued with issues' and the sarcasm is really not fair in this case.

My comments were VERY clear....
Yeah, you made your points quite clear and I'll cherry pick (reiterate) a few:

"I'm surprised that the Q7 only has a 1 year warranty on Squeaks and rattles. The dealer was really quick to point this out as a "benefit" of the warranty. My BMW, age noted above, doesn't have any squeaks or rattles, nor is this excluded from the coverage. But the inside has held up really good."

"My new Q7 has had two front bearing replaced and two fuel injectors within months of ownership."

"Initial thoughts on the JD powers survey is they are not that far off, based on my limited experience."

"Some of this might be that the price is actually a bit higher than the value you think you, so your expectations being higher will cause you to feel more disappointed when things go wrong or not how you expected."

"My point to all this is that JD powers MIGHT be onto something."

"Hopefully I don't need to go back to the Audi dealer and nothing else goes wrong with the Q7, I don't mind the occasional thing breaking, but don't like feeling like I'm being scammed when I go in to the dealership....This sort of first 6 months for me is telling, and looking close at the JD powers summer of results, I would have rated it exactly the same as they have done."

So........you seem a bit frustrated, rightfully so. No need to take it out on me. About time to find another dealership too, which is a reflection on Audi USA which has a bad service reputation compared to lines like Lexus. May I suggest hitting them hard on Yelp and Google reviews, perhaps Consumer Complaints?

Good luck
Old 07-28-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gm56
So let's be real, any SUV in this cost category is going to be good on the whole.
Good, yes. More reliable than a Honda or Kia - don't think so. But it will have more stuff, though not remote-start because they are illegal in Germany and they didn't want to add it to Audi Connect for the rest of the world, ensuring that I will let the trial period lapse.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check Consumer Reports reliability rating on Honda. You will be surprised.

Geoff
Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

So........you seem a bit frustrated, rightfully so. No need to take it out on me. About time to find another dealership too, which is a reflection on Audi USA which has a bad service reputation compared to lines like Lexus. May I suggest hitting them hard on Yelp and Google reviews, perhaps Consumer Complaints?

Good luck
It's all a personal experience and sometimes frustration does get better of us. However, as pointed out a few times, every company churns out lemons. On these kinds of forums you get owners that share their experiences - good and bad - and sometimes do air out their frustrations. I do have to say that comparing type of experiences I had with various manufacturers from US, European to Japanese models, the worst one I had, hands down, was with the two Lexus's I had. If you would have read my posts, you would have thought that Lexus was the worst crap ever, and so was the dealer. But overall experience of others was far different from mine. So don't be so quick to judge.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I'd trade into a new Lexus RX 350 in a heartbeat if they hadn't designed that stupid looking black gaping hole up front. And my sentiments are not alone as reflected in many auto forums regarding the Lexus re-design.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw an RX-350 today and marveled at how small it was.

US News & WW lists it as midsize SUV though, along with the Q7. Forget for a second that the RX-350 is not an SUV, is it really the same size-class as a Q7? I don't understand.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Good, yes. More reliable than a Honda or Kia - don't think so. But it will have more stuff, though not remote-start because they are illegal in Germany and they didn't want to add it to Audi Connect for the rest of the world, ensuring that I will let the trial period lapse.
Not really true. My wife drives a Kia Sorento SXL, which has similar options to a loaded Q7.

Quick Reply: JD Powers rating